Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the T-Rex frame sliders for this bike, and I'm having some trouble getting the bolts out of the frame. Was able to take the fairings off easily, but once I tried removing the bolts from the frame, they wouldn't budge at all! I tried using a ratchet, wrench, and even a rubber mallet to give the ratchet some extra torque.

Any tips anyone might have or recommended tools to get these bolts out?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just received the T-Rex frame sliders for this bike, and I'm having some trouble getting the bolts out of the frame. Was able to take the fairings off easily, but once I tried removing the bolts from the frame, they wouldn't budge at all! I tried using a ratchet, wrench, and even a rubber mallet to give the ratchet some extra torque.

Any tips anyone might have or recommended tools to get these bolts out?
Hahaa!!! I laugh because I posted a thread about the exact same issue about a week ago.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-...ex-2011-2012-honda-cbr250r-frame-sliders.html

Use a long handled breaker bar and a 14mm or 12mm adapter(or any other metric piece depending on which bolt you're trying to get out). Be extra careful not to strip the bolts or else you're going to have to use a bolt extractor like me.

By the way, which bolts are you having trouble with. post a pic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaa!!! I laugh because I posted a thread about the exact same issue about a week ago.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-...ex-2011-2012-honda-cbr250r-frame-sliders.html

Use a long handled breaker bar and a 14mm or 12mm adapter(or any other metric piece depending on which bolt you're trying to get out). Be extra careful not to strip the bolts or else you're going to have to use a bolt extractor like me.

By the way, which bolts are you having trouble with. post a pic?
The first 3 bolts on the left side that the provided instructions say to remove. I put the fairings back on the bike for now so I could ride around, but here's a picture of the diagram. C wouldn't budge at all.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Must be some variance in the production of the bikes. I had my issues with the sliders, but all were due to T-Rex working the kinks out -- All the Honda bolts came out without much drama (using a ratchet and socket set).

One note when you do proceed on your install (not sure if I mentioned this before in another thread) -- The bolt that goes through the 'other way' near C passes through the bracket beside F (near/over the exhaust in that pic). When putting it all back together, I noticed that bracket had moved slightly out of alignment, meaning the fairing wouldn't screw back on. I had to back off that bolt, attach the fairing (to align the bracket), then tighten the bolt back down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When tightening the new bolts, should I use a torque wrench and tighten them to around what the instructions say or would a hex key be adequate, tightening the bolts until they feel snug? Sounds like the bolts don't need to go in as tight as they currently are at least, judging by others on here having an easier time getting the bolts off.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah I think thats just the way they produced the bikes from the factory. Go to your nearest autozone or whatever and get a breaker bar and a 14mm socket. you may need a hammer to turn the breaker bar handle and get the bolt off but im pretty sure you'll get it off that way. just remember to snug the new bolt down. These bolts really arent supposed to be that tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered a breaker bar off Amazon, will be here this Tuesday. Looks like this should get the bolts off for me...fingers crossed! Thanks for the replies, guys.

·
Registered
532 Posts
When tightening the new bolts, should I use a torque wrench and tighten them to around what the instructions say or would a hex key be adequate, tightening the bolts until they feel snug? Sounds like the bolts don't need to go in as tight as they currently are at least, judging by others on here having an easier time getting the bolts off.
Originally I did all mine with hex keys, but bolt 14 (if I recall, the one I mention mounts the other way) was near impossible to get in and out properly. I went out and bought a hex socket set to use with my ratchet, and everything was SOOO much easier. I'd highly recommend this too, as I noticed a number of bolts I hand-tightened with the key could still be a fair amount more snug via the ratchet (only ones I did key-only were the two little ones that go into the crankcase out of fear of stripping them).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just finished installing the sliders tonight. The factory bolts came right off with use of the breaker bar. Aside from bolt 14 being slightly too long (an extra washer took care of that issue), everything else fit perfectly. Thanks again for the tips!

·
Registered
219 Posts
just finished installing the sliders tonight. The factory bolts came right off with use of the breaker bar. Aside from bolt 14 being slightly too long (an extra washer took care of that issue), everything else fit perfectly. Thanks again for the tips!
:d:d:d

1 - 10 of 10 Posts