Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently installed a dynojet power commander 5 with an auto tune kit on my 2012 CBR 250r ABS. I am trying to find any literature on the target AFR for the stock honda, so I have have a base map for the auto tune to work off of. Ideally I would like a base map for for the pc5, taking into account I have a high-flow K&N air filter and a full akropovic exhaust installed on the bike, but beggers can't be choosers. Anyone with knowledge on the subject I would greatly value your input. Anyone that would like to offer their opinion on the mods I have chosen to spend MY money on, please divert your energy into a more useful or valuable subject.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Don't run Premium gas. The only reason for more octane is to prevent detonation. The only way that would be an issue is if you were to bump the compression ratio with a different piston or headwork.

For max power, you want the lowest octane gas you can use that just barely keeps detonation away.

An optimum dyno tune on standard gas will get you the most power. You also want to know where your new HP peak is after doing your mods, because it has most likely moved upward in the RPM range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't run Premium gas. The only reason for more octane is to prevent detonation. The only way that would be an issue is if you were to bump the compression ratio with a different piston or headwork.

For max power, you want the lowest octane gas you can use that just barely keeps detonation away.

An optimum dyno tune on standard gas will get you the most power. You also want to know where your new HP peak is after doing your mods, because it has most likely moved upward in the RPM range.
Thanks for the reply moto Mike. My problem is I don't have access to a dyno in my area. I live in northern Ontario canada, that's why I went with the auto tune. My pcv didn't come with any maps on it for some reason so I have no base map for the auto tune to work off of. Right now I need to get my auto tune running before I start tinkering around with changing octane and what not. I will definitely keep that in mind for the future.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You should be able to download an appropriate map on the PC website.

We had a PC on my son'r R6, and tried a few different maps until we got one that worked best. The only way to get it totally optimized is on a dyno, but if you can try a couple different maps you should be able to find one that works well enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea...that was the first place I looked, since it was supposed to come with one or two maps on the unit it's self. There is no option for a cbr250r. There is almost any other bike honda makes, besides the 250. Saw some 125's and even a grom on there. I tried calling them to and they are baffled that I have one for the 250r. They can't find anything on ever selling them for a cbr250r. That is why I figured I would try on here. Trust me when I say the pcv and auto tune was not cheap, and to be stuck with no base map really sucks.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
That does suck.

You would think they could do something to get you on the right track.

Are you sure you have a CBR250R unit?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes sir... bought it from fortnine.ca...had the instructions with pictures for installing it and everything. Yeah the description said it came with a base map pre installed on the unit. Would have never thought I would be in this situation when I purchased it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes sir... bought it from fortnine.ca...had the instructions with pictures for installing it and everything. Yeah the description said it came with a base map pre installed on the unit. Would have never thought I would be in this situation when I purchased it.
My mistake I bought it from revzilla.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called them today..they used the part number to find a map on the dyno jet website called a zero map. It is literally all zeros. :(

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I called them today..they used the part number to find a map on the dyno jet website called a zero map. It is literally all zeros. :(
Big help - huh?

I'd call Dynojet and keep moving up the food chain until you get answers.

Most likely the CS person that answers the phone doesn't know squat, and you are going to need to find someone in technical service that is willing to find answers.

Probably gonna need to push a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So after calling dyno numerous times to no avail...I decided to call dyno shops that I found online and explained my situation. One super nice guy out there in California helped me out. :) Actually gave me a fuel and ignition map. There are still nice people out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So after calling dyno numerous times to no avail...I decided to call dyno shops that I found online and explained my situation. One super nice guy out there in California helped me out. :) Actually gave me a fuel and ignition map. There are still nice people out there.
Can you send me the map? I have a full akro/k&n too but just installed a bazzaz zfi instead of PCV. I'm not really impressed with the software I figured they'd have maps to grab from it looks more like they rely on you to spend hundreds on a custom tune after spending hundreds on their product already. I'm trying hard to avoid paying $356 for a tune from my local place. Had I known all this from the get go I would have just gotten only the slip on and kept everything else stock. Also contrary to popular opinion I really miss my pair valve system. Sounded better with the crackles. I'm considering selling my bazzaz and akro header and sticking the pair back in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can you send me the map? I have a full akro/k&n too but just installed a bazzaz zfi instead of PCV. I'm not really impressed with the software I figured they'd have maps to grab from it looks more like they rely on you to spend hundreds on a custom tune after spending hundreds on their product already. I'm trying hard to avoid paying $356 for a tune from my local place. Had I known all this from the get go I would have just gotten only the slip on and kept everything else stock. Also contrary to popular opinion I really miss my pair valve system. Sounded better with the crackles. I'm considering selling my bazzaz and akro header and sticking the pair back in.
Does your Bazzaz have a basic map for a CBR250R?? I may be interested in taking it off your hands.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts