Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read about these on another form and now I'm debating getting them for my bike:

TechSpec USA

As some of my other threads have pointed out, I'm anal about paintwork, so these look ideal to both protect the paint from riding, as well as to give more/better grip at the same time -- win/win, except for the look (which is starting to grow on me a little).

So has anyone had any experience with these? Worth it? Do they fade/look bad over time, etc?

Here's the only pic I could find with them on a CBR250R (in black, would have liked to see it on a red like mine):

·
Registered
403 Posts
You are better off sticking with the Tankslapper film for protection without changing the looks. If you are track riding you will appreciate the extra grip on your knees. My tank gets more wear and tear on the top.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have those as well (just haven't put them on yet), however I do question how much protection it gives, as it seems like I could put my nail through them if I wanted. These on the other hand look like I could bare down on them, and nothing would happen at all.

Part of me also wonders if I could put these on over the tankslapper (in case I wanted to remove them after a few weeks), however I figure it'd rip the tankslapper film off due to no adhesive like 3M film has.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny to see this thread this morning as I was just looking at buying tech spec grips last night.

My boyfriend has put the tech spec tank grips on two of his bikes (Aprilia RSVR and Triumph Sprint ST). At that point, the C3 grip wasn't out so he got the snakeskin. He really likes them - says they help a lot with grip. One additional benefit of these is that they can be heated and repositioned.

I'm planning to get some for my CBR, and I'll post photos once I slap 'em on the tank.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm gonna have to do something to my CBR. I've got a tankslapper kit on my FJR that seems to do the job.

I wear Kevlar riding gear that as the texture of 50 grit sandpaper. I also have the habit of gripping the tank. These things equal paint that will look like hell without some protection.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok been reading today and these are removable/can be replaced up to 8 times and do not mar the paint. I've waisted $50 other ways, so I'll gladly give these a shot if they can both protect my tank, and make me feel safer on the bike (since I know I won't grip with my knees if I think I might do something the paint).

Bungie -- If you order, there is a Canadian reseller -- http://www.bluestreakracing.ca. Cost is about $55 + $10 shipping (and tax). I went with the snakeskin as I've read a few reviews that the C3 is softer, is more grey in colour, etc which I didn't really care for.

·
Registered
323 Posts
In red:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5qhNKbb1Dvj3_L8PDTD6qj8m-hWya64MYOBsACSkI3s?feat=directlink

Please excuse the craftsman mower. I had just graduated college and moved for a new job so I couldn't afford a Honda mower.

I don't think the pads look that great. I chose red for a reason, but they do their job. My only issue is that the tank feels too high and I feel like I have to tippy toe to clamp my knees on the upper tank. It is probably a result of the low seat height. I'm 6' 1" so leg length probably isn't the reason and no I don't look like Hank Hill's dad!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not too bad but yeah it would flow better with black than red. Still, anything that both protects the paint AND provides more grip will only look better with time to me lol.

Is that the High Fusion material? Doesn't look like Snake Skin or C3.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to mention, stomp grip makes a clear pad. It has rubber domes for grip.
Yeah I'd looked at those too, however I didn't like how they'd make my tank all 'nubby'. Also read reports that they are hell on clothes, can turn yellowish, and easily get air bubbles trapped underneath.

Out of interest, any tips on installing the TechSpecs on the bike? Did you peel the backing little by little, or just place the whole thing carefully 'as one'? Also any issues while washing the bike?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah I'd looked at those too, however I didn't like how they'd make my tank all 'nubby'. Also read reports that they are hell on clothes, can turn yellowish, and easily get air bubbles trapped underneath.

Out of interest, any tips on installing the TechSpecs on the bike? Did you peel the backing little by little, or just place the whole thing carefully 'as one'? Also any issues while washing the bike?
I peeled it little by little and rubbed from the center out to avoid bubbles.

Washing the bike? You mean like riding in the rain? I am in Seattle ;) No problems with the rain.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Just make sure the tank is clean and WARM. I put mine on my r6 in the cold and they aren't sticking. Epoxy works too...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just ordered the snake skin version of these pads off ebay. If it doesnt rain they should be here by the weekend and I can do a canyon run with em; see if they make a difference in that regard (grip, fatigue, comfort, vibration, etc.) In the least, my tank is taking heavy wear on the sides and it will prevent that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The tech spec is awesome, money well spent. I'm more concerned with function over looks so the the appearance isn't really an issue. Personally I don't think they look bad anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a set of the snakeskin grips for the side and the center of the tank and applied them Friday. Love 'em! I feel much more secure, and my lower back doesn't ache anymore. We had to reposition the center grip, and it released and and no problem adhering again. Personally, I like the way the side grips look, but I'm not sure about the one in the center - seems a little chunky.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got a set of the snakeskin grips for the side and the center of the tank and applied them Friday. Love 'em! I feel much more secure, and my lower back doesn't ache anymore. We had to reposition the center grip, and it released and and no problem adhering again. Personally, I like the way the side grips look, but I'm not sure about the one in the center - seems a little chunky.
Can you post some pics especially the center grip?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts