Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here. Just bought a 2011 CBR250R in Thailand. It's a CBR250R, it does not say RA. The document and the seller say it's ABS. How can I make sure it is ABS? Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, I'd suggest the easiest way for you is to look at photo's of ABS bikes. There is a ring on the front hub which tells the sensor if the front hub is still turning or not. It's very obvious when you see one. ABS bikes will also have two hydraulic lines to the front brakes, non-ABS just the one.
Google search CBR250r ABS images. You'll see.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Pretty sure the caliper on the ABS model will have the brand name "Nissin" in white lettering on it, although that may be for recent models only.
I don't have ABS and there's no branding or logo on the caliper.
If I recall correctly, on the 2011 models (which I have) the ABS caliper or fender had "ABS" written in small lettering.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's pretty obvious, it says Combined ABS on the front fender and has 2 brake lines on the front brake calibre because 1 piston is controlled by the rear brake pedal. If you didn't see that, than your bike does not have Honda's C-ABS.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
easy, ride pretty fast and smash the rear brake pedal like there's no tomorrow (front is optional :cool: ). If you go sliding out of control there's no ABS, if you feel shuddering on the rear pedal and you stay in control you've most likely got ABS ;)

only joking, the pic above by i3017bgarcia maps it out pretty well. Also the ABS model will have a dash light on the opposite side of the high beam indicator light underneath the taco and speedo section (see pic) the non-ABS model doesn't have this :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks everyone. Confirmed. It is ABS. Thing is I am in Canada and my GF had the mandate to find a deal on a 250. Just wanted to make sure. 9000 km, like new, for 2,400 USD... Can't wait to get there and tour around SE Asia... Anyway, thanks for all the replies. This looks like a really good forom, good people.:p

·
Registered
128 Posts
easy, ride pretty fast and smash the rear brake pedal like there's no tomorrow (front is optional :cool: ). If you go sliding out of control there's no ABS, if you feel shuddering on the rear pedal and you stay in control you've most likely got ABS ;)

only joking, the pic above by i3017bgarcia maps it out pretty well. Also the ABS model will have a dash light on the opposite side of the high beam indicator light underneath the taco and speedo section (see pic) the non-ABS model doesn't have this :)

That is why C-ABS model is infinitely better, you dont need to use the front brake in traffic.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Well, in addition to the rear brake the combined ABS system on the CBR 250 activates one of the three front wheel brake pistons also when the rear wheel brake is engaged. Hence some people think they don't need the front brake and rely entirely on the rear brake...doesn't make much sense though as only one of the front pistons is used and you can't get full stopping power with the rear brake lever alone.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I quite liked the servo assisted ABS linked brakes on my BMW. The back brake was applied as normal which didn't activate the front at all. When you used the front brake lever, it applied a mix of back and front brake depending on speed and decelleration. It worked very well, not that the ABS ever activated whilst I was riding it. The things that I didn't like about the system was that it made a funny noise whenever you used the brakes, it wasn't easily serviceable by a home mechanic, and if the servo pump failed, as they do sometimes, it wasn't far off £1000 to replace it.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
That is why C-ABS model is infinitely better, you dont need to use the front brake in traffic.
WOW!!! I wonder if it's also better to use my emergency brake instead of my brake pedal, in traffic, in my car!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My 2011 CBR250R does not have the ABS painted on like the one shown in the image, but it does have an ABS light on the dash. Also can see Nissin near the front brake caliper
What's more important is does it have the sensor ring around the hub?:wink2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts