Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Test Drove the Kawasaki ZX6R at Kawasaki Good Times Demo Days in Pomona California today.

What a rush !!! Endless power straight up to 15 grand. Pulls hard straight to redline. Effortless acceleration past 120 MPH. Kawasaki gave 30 minute demo rides on curvy side streets and a 10 mile freeway blast. This inline 4 was smooth as butter and would turn exactly where you looked. It was a refreshing rush of adrenaline and ran on invisible rails !!
I took to it like a duck to water. Found the friction zone and practiced excellent throttle control. I did let loose on the freeway and hit 15 grand in 2 nd gear. Smiled inside my helmet like a virgin who popped his first one. I felt like I had been riding this super sport bike for months when I returned to the staging area. Our little CBR250R is an excellent tutor for advanced riding skills. There were 25 riders attending demo days on Kawasaki Ninja 250's but only RemusRM and myself on CBR250R's. Too bad Honda does not do demo day rides in SoCal anymore !!!

Effortless Turning and Blistering Acceleration summarizes my demo ride.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I completely agree with everyone you said, if you have the room and no cops nothing can come close to these crotch rockets. But we have so many road laws and LE in my area that its just not worth it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I rode the Z1000 and the mutha fucka was insane... power wheelie in 1st, second and third, and I did not want to do it... just punched the throttle... My left hand slipped off the handle in first, on the F-way I this 130 without even realizing trying to pass a car. The ride was like taking off with an airplane but only hold on with your hands. Insane fun, but too much power. Extremlly smooth and the clutch is just amazing. 1-6 shift and had power. The 250 is just **** in clutch department.

·
Registered
455 Posts
thats interesting because I just ripped through the north GA mountains today on my 600 and it felt really good.
My buddy just got a 2012 zx6. we did the break in on a dyno and after the first oil change he was hitting 111 hp bone stock. pretty stout man. Im at 116 modded. Full system and a tune those bikes will be at 120.

·
Banned
834 Posts
track yes, street no.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Too much to deal with everyday on the street.
This. I was there as well and tested the 650 and 1k just for kicks. Good bikes with gobs of performance, but not what I was looking for. I was really looking for a 250r so I can make a comparison between it and a CBRette. They didn't bring one to the show and the runner made a disparaging remark about 250s even though a good chunk of the testers brought their own 250s to the event.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Why not?

Care to elaborate?
I know someone that has one and said the ergo is a lower back breaker for city riding over an hour riding. Everybody is different though.

Awesome looking bike though.

I have never ridden one so really my opinion on the ergo of the bike doesn't matter. Just passing along my friend's comments on his bike. Honestly, he's more in love with the look of the bike more than anything, and it is a hot-looking bike and sounds awesome.

I guess the same can be said for most SS bikes, they are really designed with the track in mind rather than city riding.

Although I hear the CBR bikes have the best comfort level of all SS bikes when it comes to city riding.

·
Registered
221 Posts
People need to understand that the body adapts over time, i.e hands hurting when you first started riding, especially your right hand from the throttle.

I hear people complain about motorcycle position pain. I have Lower back and hamstring problems and cant complain about the position, maybe im lucky. Try and get use to it, if cant, go see a GP, if you dont have a serious injury/restriction, GET FIT.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This. I was there as well and tested the 650 and 1k just for kicks. Good bikes with gobs of performance, but not what I was looking for. I was really looking for a 250r so I can make a comparison between it and a CBRette. They didn't bring one to the show and the runner made a disparaging remark about 250s even though a good chunk of the testers brought their own 250s to the event.
I know! I asked if there were 250s and they gave me this "look".

I preferred my old Ninjette to a lot of bikes there. It may have been carb'ed but it was fun to ride that bike hard.

The new 650 was 'ok' I guess. But truthfully the CBR fits me better, and is just better all around for the relatively slow and around town riding we were doing.

My tank bag also didn't stick to the plastic covers on the sides of the tank.
The ZX6R was fun but I really don't think I could deal with all that power all the time. Too easy to open it up.

·
Banned
834 Posts
People need to understand that the body adapts over time, i.e hands hurting when you first started riding, especially your right hand from the throttle.

I hear people complain about motorcycle position pain. I have Lower back and hamstring problems and cant complain about the position, maybe im lucky. Try and get use to it, if cant, go see a GP, if you dont have a serious injury/restriction, GET FIT.
yeah I stay fit and this cbr250r doesn't bother me. My throttle hand did hurt when I first started riding but my hand got used to the bike and it doesn't bother me anymore.

I don't foresee the 11 gsxr 600 ergo being a problem when I get my bike b/c I don't ride anymore than a couple hours anyways.

I wish I could test ride all of then though.

·
Registered
706 Posts

I have circulation problems in my hand, the bike only makes them worse.

Also I'm just too short for the handle position on this bike. It forces me to lean forward to reach them which in turn means I have 2 options, hold myself up with my lower back or lean on the bars.

I honestly can only ride about 1 hour comfortably due to this. It really sucks and I just wish there was a good option for moving the bars in closer to me.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I know! I asked if there were 250s and they gave me this "look".

The new 650 was 'ok' I guess.
Was your show runner some cocky ass hick who looked like billy ray Cyrus? The standard ninjas were OK but they felt like an old man's bike to me especially with their 11 degree riding position.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have circulation problems in my hand, the bike only makes them worse.

Also I'm just too short for the handle position on this bike. It forces me to lean forward to reach them which in turn means I have 2 options, hold myself up with my lower back or lean on the bars.

I honestly can only ride about 1 hour comfortably due to this. It really sucks and I just wish there was a good option for moving the bars in closer to me.
Clip-on risers will do the trick mate.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The older Ducati 748s and 915s(late 90s models) were awful on the wrists. I had a 748..and when I say I had, literally had one for about 2 weeks and it was sold. My wrists were killing me after an hour of riding. My right hand always cramps for the first 20 minutes or so but loosens up after that. That's why I wish I still had my 94 CBR600F2..that bike was such an easy bike to ride, now that I have had my 250 for about 3 weeks, I can honestly say that back then the 600 was like a 250 now, but with a bigger engine. No wonder so many 94 CBR600s were on the road.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I got to test ride the ZX6R at the demo event in Kirkland, Wa today. LOVED IT enough to test it twice. So far this year I have tried the gsxr600 and r6. By far my favorite is the ZX6R. The riding position felt uncomfortable in the showroom but riding it feels totally different. I sound like a broken record but you got to try these thing out and not go by magazine reviews which speaking of like the Gsxr600 better pretty much all the time. The power is so linear and the exhaust is my style, nice and quiet without the excess noise of the gsxr which I have lost interest in.

BTW, I also tested the Z1000 today, kind of boring to me.

And for the street the ZX6R is more fun than the ZX10R, just more involving and handles better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts