Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I was near the end of my ride about a block and a half from home just curising at the speed limit. I see a car pull up to a stop sign on the right side the driver stops we made eye contact then they pulled out right in front of me. Thanks to all the emergency breaking/ manouver drills in the MSF I was able to escape unharmed. while it scared the crap out of me it did instill some confidence since I did not panic and dump the bike or end up ramming into the car. Still I was a little livid after that lol. I have to say the MSF paid for its self that day.

·
Registered
171 Posts
They say most accidents happen close to home. A reminder that those little jaunts to the grocery require ATGATT as well.

Glad this ended well for you.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to bring the bike to a safe quick stop. Just as much as we have to watch for the cagers who don't see us, we have to be even more suspicious of those who do. I've heard far too many accident stories where the biker says, "She looked right at me." :-(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to bring the bike to a safe quick stop. Just as much as we have to watch for the cagers who don't see us, we have to be even more suspicious of those who do. I've heard far too many accident stories where the biker says, "She looked right at me." :-(
So what are they thinking if they see you and pull out in front of a bike anyway? Underestimating the speed of the bike?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good Job.

What I really hate is that situation with a car following closely behind me.. it makes me speed sometimes to get some distance. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
i just stared down an old man for not turning his head before merging and only trusted his side mirrors .. he came within inches of me .. luckily i swerved and accelerated pass him while glaring back at him ..

·
Registered
414 Posts
I see a car pull up to a stop sign on the right side the driver stops we made eye contact then they pulled out right in front of me.
i had this happen with a car at a set of lights whilst turning across each other. i had only just bought the bike and as i drove off the car essentially juat tried to drive right into me. i did a massive swerve out the way and then swerved back to avoid hitting iron railings on the pavment. i rode off thinking if i was still on my heavy lump of a cruiser a crash would have been unaoidable. my babyblade got a lot of love for is manuverability that day

·
Registered
329 Posts
Today, raining.
A truck driving ahead, I was going to work.
An intersection, a van waits for the truck to pass over, then moves in the middle of the street, while I was approaching.
It could be 30m distant, when he moved, I think he didn't see me.
I was able to brake gently without hitting the center line (very insidious if wet) since I was keeping good distance from the truck.
Not properly an "Oh, ****!" moment, perhaps a "WTF are you doing a**?".

I got work wet, but that's all.
Funny the major issue with rain was not the bike 0but the jacket that drained over my trousers.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had a WTF brain fart stupid arse give your head a shake and wake the farg up moment yesterday :)

Second day of gorgeous riding weather. on return leg from my 2nd day 250km ride. I just finished riding up a nice twisty scenic road. Come to a T-intersection with stop sign. I stop and waiting to turn left. There is a car in left turn lane opposite waiting to turn (so they would go down the road i just came up) I look left. no cars. look right. no cars coming around bend. look at left turners again and think. WTF are they doing just sitting in middle of road. They were pointing at road signs and i recall thinking what bunch of dumm asses. I was fixated on them for a few seconds.

(google street view of area Google Maps to help visualize)

so i glanced left. way was clear. looked at dumm asses again and made my turn. All of a sudden i hear a car horn and look in mirror. because of the "dumm asses" i failed to notice this car that came around the bend on right. Good thing someone was paying attention and i shudder to think how bad it could have been if i turned just a second later.

so not all cages are bad. some times we (me) are the "dumm ass". But as the saying goes, anything that doesnt kill you makes you stronger. onward and upward.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In MSF they harped about eye contact. Said just bc they look at you and make eye contact, it doesn't mean they actually registered "seeing" you. Don't EVER trust that.

·
Registered
501 Posts
MY oh f--- moment on the way to work. Car pulled out in front of me. I was doing 45mph. It all happened in a couple seconds but the front brake did its job great. Rear brake locked up so i released and just used the front. Nothing like going from 45 to zero in a couple seconds Pissed me off because i was in 6th gear when i came to a stop. Took a few but i got in low enough gear to take back off again. I just love it (sracasm) when people look at you like its your fault..

·
Registered
226 Posts
So what are they thinking if they see you and pull out in front of a bike anyway? Underestimating the speed of the bike?
Clearly speculation here... but I don't know that they are "thinking". If we were semi-trucks bearing down on them, the decision would (hopefully) be different. From what I've read and experienced, I think it's two-fold: 1. They 'look' at you, but they don't 'see' you--even with eye contact. It's like their brains process a different time/space/threat calculation based on our relative size. 2. They 'assume' we will/can stop and are prepared to do so--why not, right? They're the big dog on the block, what's it to them? Just saying... :cool:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Clearly speculation here... but I don't know that they are "thinking". If we were semi-trucks bearing down on them, the decision would (hopefully) be different. From what I've read and experienced, I think it's two-fold: 1. They 'look' at you, but they don't 'see' you--even with eye contact. It's like their brains process a different time/space/threat calculation based on our relative size. 2. They 'assume' we will/can stop and are prepared to do so--why not, right? They're the big dog on the block, what's it to them? Just saying... :cool:
^^ I think you nailed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts