Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok its getting cold in the chicago area and i have little to do. so i figure its time to start modding my bike i not heavy so i can get mine up to the 99mph mark but it takes awhile to get there (gps reading NOT speedo i know its 10% off) i was wondering what mods can get me past the 100mph mark and get me there faster i just order a stainless full system yoshi exhaust. what else can i get to make the bike faster.:)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
A rider training course. :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Oi was wondering what mods can get me past the 100mph mark and get me there faster .....what else can i get to make the bike faster.:)
the very first thing you should do is unbolt the 250cc engine from the frame...

discard...

then order a bigger cc motor and proceed to hammer it into place

·
Registered
282 Posts
A rider training course. :D
lol. have you got shares in bike instructors or what dude:D

@IamMcLOVIN add to the pipe an Fi controller and if really keen a data logger and give it a dyno tune.

@Aufitt, see it's not that hard to give people what they want ;) even if it may be bad for their health :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
With better airbox and exhaust, you can usually squeeze out 5-6% more power out of a bike. So that could be 1.5HP? not sure if high compression piston or a big bore kit is available for the CBR250 yet. That might be your best bet in gaining significant HP.

Cheers,

·
Registered
455 Posts
Exhaust and fuel will not get you there. Your gonna need to crack that engine. Be prepared to shell out some dough though. Before i decided its time to get a bigger bike, I was flirting with the idea of putting a turbo on the bike. I saw a wr 250x kit and thought there has to be some way to do this bike.
50 plus hp on that bike would be bananas. Then i realized i can get 100 hp for less.

TURBO

·
745 Posts
This topic reminds me of the story about the guy marooned on a desert isle with nothing but a goat. After awhile that goat starts looking sexy, but every time he gets behind it, it runs off. After trying for months, he's forlornly staring out at sea when he sees something in the surf - it's a beautiful blonde scuba diver. He drags her out and resuscitates her. She looks at him with deep longing and says "Sir, you saved my life - is there anything I can do to repay you?" And he says: "WOULD YOU HOLD THIS G*%$^&* GOAT FOR ME?"

That's where you are, trying to make a really nice little bike into something that it's not. Read Hopmix's post one more time and do the math. You can easily spend more than the bike cost new (especially if you do the suspension and brake upgrades to be legitimate with all that new horsepower), and in the end you'll have only slightly more than you started with - even a 10% power increase only nets you 2.5 hp. You could take the additional money you're going to spend, add it to what you can get for the 250, and buy yourself a decent used Fz6, Ninja 650, or 599.

Or.... you can put lipstick on the goat.

·
Registered
455 Posts
This topic reminds me of the story about the guy marooned on a desert isle with nothing but a goat. After awhile that goat starts looking sexy, but every time he gets behind it, it runs off. After trying for months, he's forlornly staring out at sea when he sees something in the surf - it's a beautiful blonde scuba diver. He drags her out and resuscitates her. She looks at him with deep longing and says "Sir, you saved my life - is there anything I can do to repay you?" And he says: "WOULD YOU HOLD THIS G*%$^&* GOAT FOR ME?"

That's where you are, trying to make a really nice little bike into something that it's not. Read Hopmix's post one more time and do the math. You can easily spend more than the bike cost new (especially if you do the suspension and brake upgrades to be legitimate with all that new horsepower), and in the end you'll have only slightly more than you started with - even a 10% power increase only nets you 2.5 hp. You could take the additional money you're going to spend, add it to what you can get for the 250, and buy yourself a decent used Fz6, Ninja 650, or 599.

HAHA!!!! thats funny stuff.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Good point Luke. But the problem I have for instance with the notion of "If you want more power out of the CBR250R, then just buy a bigger bike" (e.g, CBR600RR) is that not only is the 600RR a more powerful bike - it is a substantially different bike in other ways that you might not appreciate. How about if you don't want the other things that come with a larger, more powerful bike (e.g., increased weight, poorer handling, poorer fuel economy, sky high insurance rates, increased maintenance costs, higher purchase price). The question is really "How can I maximize the power delivered by my current bike - while keeping much of what I love about the bike - the same".

If just buying a larger bike to get more power solved such problems, then the entire "Pitbike" craze would never have materialized. It would seem that the fortunes people spend modding out their CRF50s and KLX110s could clearly be put to better use on a much bigger and more powerful dirt bike (that likely costs less!). Yet - many knowingly spend far more money trying to maximize the output of their small bikes. A larger bike isn't always the answer - and for some people, buying a larger bike means more power - but less overall fun - or at least less of the kind of fun that attracted you to the small displacement bike in the first place.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^ I agree. For some its their hobby. If they wish to dump money into their 250 modding it, that's their choice. H-D for example, sell some of their bikes very basic 'cause they know the consumers plan on spending obscene amounts of money modding their bikes. It's fun. This 250 is going to suit some of us for many years to come while some of us are looking at this bike as an entry level into the riding culture knowing it is temporary. Therefore they donot plan on doing anything to it....waste of money and certainly will not get the return on a resale. I'm having my rims powder coated this winter. Arranging it right now. I don't mind spending money on this bike as I plan on keeping it for several seasons. I love the weight, look and don't need rocket power to launch me into the next dimension. Anyways it's my money to spend. :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good point Luke. But the problem I have for instance with the notion of "If you want more power out of the CBR250R, then just buy a bigger bike" (e.g, CBR600RR) is that not only is the 600RR a more powerful bike - it is a substantially different bike in other ways that you might not appreciate. How about if you don't want the other things that come with a larger, more powerful bike (e.g., increased weight, poorer handling, poorer fuel economy, sky high insurance rates, increased maintenance costs, higher purchase price). The question is really "How can I maximize the power delivered by my current bike - while keeping much of what I love about the bike - the same".

If just buying a larger bike to get more power solved such problems, then the entire "Pitbike" craze would never have materialized. It would seem that the fortunes people spend modding out their CRF50s and KLX110s could clearly be put to better use on a much bigger and more powerful dirt bike (that likely costs less!). Yet - many knowingly spend far more money trying to maximize the output of their small bikes. A larger bike isn't always the answer - and for some people, buying a larger bike means more power - but less overall fun - or at least less of the kind of fun that attracted you to the small displacement bike in the first place.

Mike
I totally get what your saying Mike.
For me though it came down to dollar per power increase %. Yes i want to push the 250 to its limits. Its fun and gives me something to obsess over. I have my bike to a point where as my mechanic stated, it utilizing 98% of the power this engine is capable of in its current state. For me to go further I'm going to have to dump the cost of the bike back into it. You have to be sensible at some point. So i agree with you to a point and I understand the obsession in tweaking your bike. Where i do feel like i could disagree is when people say 600's are boring bikes. I have never ridden one but people who i talk to that have gone from 250r's to 600's all seem very happy. They say they shift just as much and corner just as well. You just aren't going as far into your rpm range right? less throttle.. but the magic still happens. Only difference is a weight and the extra ponies in reserve if you want them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As long as you are willing to shell out the money to create a more powerful version of the CBR250. It's up to the individual. Just so you know, you are not going to get the biggest bang for the buck (pun intended).

Back when I was in high school, my buddy kept on dumping money into his little Honda CRX. It's an agile, funny little ecobox. Gets really good mileage. He loved it so much that he kept on upgrading it. Adding intake, exhausts, torsion bar. But it still put out sub 100HP. At one point, he even considered buying a wrecked Acura Integra so he can swap over the suspension and brake system to the CRX.

I often suggested why didn't he just save up all the money and trade the CRX for an Integra. It would be a much better starting point. He said he loved the CRX so much that he was happy tinkering and upgrading piece by piece. I guess it was the journey that he enjoyed, not necessary the end result. I think the CBR mod is in the same category. :)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^Precisely. It's the journey some like to take. :D I't not always the strive for more hp.

·
Registered
455 Posts
^Precisely. It's the journey some like to take. :D I't not always the strive for more hp.
well when you drop 1000 bucks on a exhaust and fuel box let me know how you feel about the bike!

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I did! Happy with it. Your point???? Anyways, I already posted to go ahead and buy the 600rr. I was totally supportive and can understand why you would want to buy one. They are an awesome bike! Why the slam?

Look under thread "thinkin about jumping ship"

·
Registered
529 Posts
Where i do feel like i could disagree is when people say 600's are boring bikes. I have never ridden one but people who i talk to that have gone from 250r's to 600's all seem very happy. They say they shift just as much and corner just as well. You just aren't going as far into your rpm range right? less throttle.. but the magic still happens. Only difference is a weight and the extra ponies in reserve if you want them.
That is the key. If you think a 600cc supersport is where you want to go - that is great! I didn't mean to suggest that 600cc supersports are boring. I guess the point I was trying to make is that in a world where everything bigger and more powerful is assumed to be better - you might be surprised that a 600cc supersport may not be all that it is cracked up to be - because no bike is perfect. I guess I'm at a time in my life right now where I'm enticed by the notion of doing more with less. Simplifying my life. The CBR250R fits well with this lifestyle. I hope you get a 600cc supersport and love it. Maybe I will be able to live vicariously through your postings! :)

On the CBR125R forum I frequent - some have "upgraded" to a 600cc supersport, and then have "downgraded" back to a CBR125R partly because they miss the feeling the CBR125R gave them. In a world of bigger is better - I know this is sacrilege. It also didn't satisfy the same balance of frugality and fun that the CBR125R captured - for them. Surprisingly - a lot of the riders are older in age. They see something special in the CBR125R. Many have been riding larger bikes for many years and were just looking for a fun and simple bike to ride. Does this mean a 600cc supersport is boring? Of course not - but some of these riders just felt that the extra power wasn't worth the other compromises inherent in ownership - and they simply didn't need the extra power anymore. Just like how many riders will likely "upgrade" from a CBR250R because they feel a 600cc bike IS worth the intoxicating rush of power. At one time - I would have agreed, but my tastes are now different. What I look forward to the most when riding my bikes is being alone - on an twisty, scenic road - in the middle of the wilderness - crisp air - being mindful of the experience as it unfolds - in no hurry - trying to hold onto the feeling. I can do that on most any bike. My current bikes do it with the least amount of compromises. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
455 Posts
I did! Happy with it. Your point???? Anyways, I already posted to go ahead and buy the 600rr. I was totally supportive and can understand why you would want to buy one. They are an awesome bike! Why the slam?

Look under thread "thinkin about jumping ship"
No slam intended. Sorry if it came off that way. I should have been more specific. Increases in HP translate into performance increases in real world so naturally your chasing HP when your doing engine mods.

·
Registered
455 Posts
this thread is getting off topic. Its a pointless discussion. I want a 600 because the 250r isn't enough for me. Should just leave it at that.
to address the OP,
in my process the best thing/mod I did to my bike was adding bt-003 tires. Made the biggest performance increase of all the mods. I would start there.
Then go for pipe and fuel box. air filter. Have the bike tuned unless you have a afm.
If you wanna go over 100, look at DRC's thread. I was talked out of velocity stacks because it will take power out of low range. He's getting 2 more HP and 2 pounds of torque than I am. He also has a full system. Prolly helps.
There are a few topics here on brake upgrades. Suspension seems to be the weakest link, and also very expensive so would be last on my plate.
good luck

1 - 20 of 39 Posts