Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1281 - 1290 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
My buddy has a cb500x and he's getting 61 mpg on ethanol free 89 octane. His primary driving style is straight up, long haul, speed limit+15 (70) for 30 miles each way. He has about 8 tanks in, part of his commute is at 3500 feet elevation.

Don't know bout you guys but I can live with that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have put around 1300 miles in 2 and a half weeks, trying to get in the miles before riding season is over. Average 58-65 mpg. Very happy with the bike, its no rocket like a 600 but much easier on the wallet and body if you like long rides. And yeah KFC is calling me asking for the stripes back.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I took a quick a visit to cbr500riders.com and was surprised to see threads started by former 250 owners Iddo and Mikethebear raising such topics as 'regret choice of bike' and 'if there's one thing you could change'. This is remarkable especially given the pre-launch hype surrounding the 500F, R and X bikes.

Interestingly there's even a case of a new rider selling a 500 (his first ride) two months after purchase for a 2013 street triple. Albeit different bikes, the buying pattern aspiring to 'bigger, better, faster' sounds very, very familiar...

Edit: and our friend Dukie even goes as far to say that he would have traded in his cruiser instead of his cbr250r... 'nuff said

·
Registered
795 Posts
^ The 500 has not sold as well as the 250 did when it first showed up at least i my area, that and there are plenty of 250's to be had at deep discounts off the sales floor. It may sound like Honda cannibalize their small displacement hoping for that later upgrade later by customers. Either way they will find a way to get our $$ via expensive "required" valve clearance, etc.

I think if one is going to go bigger might as well get a whole different bike, why go up in displacement to the same bike?
sort of like dumping your girlfriend for her older sister, not much of a difference there.

I had considered a 500 but it's off my shortlist, just way too similar to the 250.

·
Registered
724 Posts
To each his own, I am still on my 500R and absolutely love it. I have 0.0000000 regrets of leaving my 06 GSXR600 behind. Those threads on the 500 forum are threads you read on every bike forum. People love to bitch more than praise no matter what. I can go to the Ferrari forum and read " what don't you like about your 200k Ferrari?". Am I suppose to judge a car based on that?
Don't be naïve go test ride the bike and be open minded there is something fun no matter what price point or HP output.
That Honda Grom looks to be a barrel of fun and I would put no stock into someone posting " my Grom sucks time to get a Busa instead" thread.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
To each his own, I am still on my 500R and absolutely love it. I have 0.0000000 regrets of leaving my 06 GSXR600 behind. Those threads on the 500 forum are threads you read on every bike forum. People love to bitch more than praise no matter what. I can go to the Ferrari forum and read " what don't you like about your 200k Ferrari?". Am I suppose to judge a car based on that?
Don't be naïve go test ride the bike and be open minded there is something fun no matter what price point or HP output.
That Honda Grom looks to be a barrel of fun and I would put no stock into someone posting " my Grom sucks time to get a Busa instead" thread.
Thanks for the advice mate. I rode the bike back in April and enjoyed it. Had the cash but decided to wait to add something else. Yes, you're right, to each their own.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Those threads on the 500 forum were predominantly positive. I reviewed them and found all posters happy with their choice. As with the 250, some owners wanted little changes, ie better kickstand placement, higher windscreen etc. I don't recall anyone documenting regret. For myself, I love the bike. Most motorcycle enthusiasts will ALWAYS lust after other bikes. It's the nature of the beast. The fun is in finding the ultimate all round ride. If I had sack fulls of cash my garage wld be filled with various bikes. One for every mood and day of the week. ;)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes you're quite right L2R that most posts are positive. What I find more intriguing is why not restate a thread as something like 'what do you love most about your bike...'

After all, there was a lot of pre-launch hype and I don't recall too many other threads on here with 1,000+ posts.

I say love what you ride whatever it may be. I do :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Absolutely Damien. Starting a thread on what we "love" about our bike wld be positive. The overall tone of the 500 forum is somewhat "different". Perhaps I'm wrong but, I'm concluding the rider dynamic is more transient than the 250 forum. Here we find a large number satisfied with the 250 with no plans of moving onto a larger displacement. The 500 posters appear to be more in transition so to speak. Very few of us are looking long term towards our 500.

1281 - 1290 of 1290 Posts