Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I imagine like many others on here, the debate often comes down to the Ninja vs. CBR250. I appreciated many of the thoughts and opinions on the similar threads I read on here. Rather than hijack someone else's thread, much of the information I sought was covered in previous threads or other info I read on the internet.

Me: Beginning rider, 5'8, 170. I plan to ride almost exclusively on the street, especially early on to learn, maybe down the ride some possible highways action. Mostly day riding, with some light night riding.

From what I've read and seen, it may comes down to a few things for me. If all things were equal, it sounds like a CB250 would be the choice for me. However some things are not equal. I can get a 2010 Ninja for 3800 out the door. The CBR would be close to 5 G's. plus more for ABS. $1200 is a decent amount of coin for me. My questions are: As a new rider are ABS brakes something I should get? How much of a difference is the fuel injection versus not having it? Are these differences that make the CBR a better option, IMO, worth it price wise?

Thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
636 Posts
you dont need abs..but if you are going for the money alone, i guess ninja is the way togo, even though i love the cbr and im glad i got it over the ninja, sat on both of them and did lots of research, but after all that crap its all about what you want..good luck dude

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wouldn't worry about ABS yet. Pay attention and you won't need it. The fuel injection is nice to have, especially Honda fuel injection because it's very reliable and well sorted out. I'm not a big fan of carburetors. The Honda is an excellent learning bike because of the way it makes its' power. The Ninja is all top end which makes it less fun around town. You won't have any problems on the freeway on the CBR. If you plan on keeping the bike for a long time go with the Honda, if you're just going to learn on it then turn it around quickly then get the Ninja. The CBR would probably fit you better on long hauls.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. From what I gather I can do without the ABS which is good since is cost more anyway. I guess I should have clarified, I do plan on keeping the bike for awhile. While the CBR is a bit more, it seems from all the reviews I've read and everything I've heard, it seems like the better fit for me. I guess I will do some more research and see if I can at least do some kind of live comparison on them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you plan on keeping the bike for a while, one thing to consider would be maintenance costs. In 2008 the Ninja went from valve adjustment using screw and locknut adjusters to shim under bucket.
If any valves need adjustment cam removal is required. It's a time intensive procedure and time is $$$$

Here's a nice photo writeup of how to adjust the valves on the newer Ninjas:

Kawasaki Ninja EX250J Valve Clearance Guide

On the Honda 250, after the initial adjustment subsequent adjustments don't have to be done but every 16,000 miles. I forget what the Ninja 250 valve maintenance interval is but I know that it is less than the Honda's 16,000 miles..

You might want to check that out and also find out what the cost of a Ninja valve adjustment will be (if you don't intend to do it yourself)..
You could be saving cash up front but paying mucho more over the life of the bike. That would depend on how much the service costs and how often you have to have it done.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi,

I imagine like many others on here, the debate often comes down to the Ninja vs. CBR250. I appreciated many of the thoughts and opinions on the similar threads I read on here. Rather than hijack someone else's thread, much of the information I sought was covered in previous threads or other info I read on the internet.

Me: Beginning rider, 5'8, 170. I plan to ride almost exclusively on the street, especially early on to learn, maybe down the ride some possible highways action. Mostly day riding, with some light night riding.

From what I've read and seen, it may comes down to a few things for me. If all things were equal, it sounds like a CB250 would be the choice for me. However some things are not equal. I can get a 2010 Ninja for 3800 out the door. The CBR would be close to 5 G's. plus more for ABS. $1200 is a decent amount of coin for me. My questions are: As a new rider are ABS brakes something I should get? How much of a difference is the fuel injection versus not having it? Are these differences that make the CBR a better option, IMO, worth it price wise?

Thanks for any answers.
Is this USD??? the MSRP on the 2011 CBR is $3999 and ABS is a $500 option. I got mine for $3999 + $500 for the extended warranty. With $400 down and after document fee's, tax, the works I paid $4931.65

I didn't get ABS, if it had been an option I might have but they didn't have one. ABS is nice to have but it's a feature that you really don't want to have to use. Just like a good helmet, you don't want to be in a position where you have to test it lol.

The carb'd Ninja will be slightly more upkeep. Carb's need re tuned every couple of years for optimal performance and efficiency where as just running good fuel will keep a fuel injected system going for ages.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Being a smart rider is way more important than ABS, IMO. If you can really get the Ninja for $500 less, I'd say go for it. It's not a bad bike. The only reason I didn't get one is because I wanted the low end torque for coming off the line. The CBR is super easy to learn on. (It's my first bike too)

No matter what you decide, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Try to find a different dealer, most if not all are charging $3999, but the difference is some will charge freight and assembly where as others may do only one or neither. I am getting mine from a dealer 250 miles away from home but I will save $560. If it's within your budget, buy the one you really want, you won't regret it!!

·
745 Posts
No matter what you decide, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Agree - The Ninja is a cool bike. They had one of the green ones at the dealer where I got my CBR, and it made the decision harder.

One big advantage to the Ninja is that there are many used ones on the market. You don't get a huge break on the price unless you go pre-2008, but
you also don't pay list....

·
Registered
576 Posts
some very good answers above.
glad im not looking again.
i was going to say for the over all cost the ninja.
then furious blue brought up the
extra times to be services due to shorter
valve adjustment intervals (adds money):confused:
i like my cbr but the ninja is also well
made bike,toss a coin for those prices.
good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
some very good answers above.
glad im not looking again.
i was going to say for the over all cost the ninja.
then furious blue brought up the
extra times to be services due to shorter
valve adjustment intervals (adds money):confused:
i like my cbr but the ninja is also well
made bike,toss a coin for those prices.
good luck on your purchase.
LMAO, I swear this is my state of mind right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all thanks for the answers, you've given me alot to think of. I am very fortunate as I have found a dealer who has both in stock. I can at least sit on them and compare them. Your answers also gave me things to think about I had not considered.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Maybe consider the Whosung 250 as well.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Just do what Morphman says. Wait till next year and get one on ebay for 1200 bucks.
$2000-$2500 without a doubt.... Already they are selling for $2800 on ebay and everyone and their mothers around here are coming up with excuses to explain the price ... "It's the location" "It's the fact that you only have 5 days to pick it up".. "It's the weather".. 'It's the way the planets are aligned" :eek:

Know one seems to understand that new motorcycles are never a good investment and a 30% loss in the first year is typical. Add in a poor economy high unemployment and $2500 for a CBR next spring is beginning to sound expensive.

·
Registered
706 Posts
$2000-$2500 without a doubt.... Already they are selling for $2800 on ebay and everyone and their mothers around here are coming up with excuses to explain the price ... "It's the location" "It's the fact that you only have 5 days to pick it up".. "It's the weather".. 'It's the way the planets are aligned" :eek:

Know one seems to understand that new motorcycles are never a good investment and a 30% loss in the first year is typical. Add in a poor economy high unemployment and $2500 for a CBR next spring is beginning to sound expensive.
3 years old sold for only $1100 less then MSRP
Kawasaki | eBay

Kawasaki : Ninja | eBay
lots of miles and still $2500

These are COMPLETED listings this is what they actually sell for. Obviously I can't show a bunch of these for the CBR for obvious reasons but the re sale will be the same for both bikes as they are targeting the exact same market.

Keep in mind that after 3 years almost all of them owe less then $2000 and are still selling for more then that.

I'm not sure I can show any more hard evidance then that. I found a few totaled ones you could get for $1400 if you want a crippled bike ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts