Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Failed me as in it really can't push past 85mph much...

Pretty much what happened was I was getting tailgated by a huge diesel chevy that passed me going atleast 90+ Well...he pissed me off once the corners came because our bikes can smash in the corners, his truck not so much. Shitty thing is I know if I had a bigger bike id be able to pass him or not let him pass. I would thing a 500 would be perfect 600 4cyls having too much power..But I still love my 250, it'll get up to 80mph pretty well and has passing power if people are doing 50 in a 60.

Passing people doing 65 is...tough.

·
Registered
477 Posts
From my personal experience, I really don't have much issue passing a car going 65 mph. It gets tough, if the car I want to pass is going 85 mph. On a flat street, I don't have too much issue getting over a bit over 90 mph.

In order to get the top speed on this thing, you pretty much have to shift at a redline.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think it's really your expectation that failed you. Our CBR does what it's supposed to do. No tricks there. My expectation of my 250 is to get very good mpg. If I wanted passing power at 65mph and above, I would've bought a bigger bike.

My $0.02.
It could be my expectation that failed me, definately not complaining about MPG though!

From my personal experience, I really don't have much issue passing a car going 65 mph. It gets tough, if the car I want to pass is going 85 mph. On a flat street, I don't have too much issue getting over a bit over 90 mph.

In order to get the top speed on this thing, you pretty much have to shift at a redline.
I have yet to go past 10k each gear and I even have a DFC. :eek:

I guess riding with bigger bikes and seeing em pass cars with such ease makes me envious. But im sure they'll be saying the same thing when they find out the MPG our little bikes get. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had my 250RA on the track and it does 160 kph == 99.x mph at the very end of the main straight at SMSP Sydney Australia. No need to roll off throttle for T1 on that bike either. The GPS says speedo is fast and max is 150 kph == 90 mph. I seem to recall the RA has a slightly different gearing via rear sprocket ... but I could have just made that up. I get smashed by the Ninja 250's on the main straight too ... I reckon they get to 170+ kph. I've ridden both and the CBR is a little more precise handling through the corners. That said I have RaceTech cartridge kit and new fork oil so could be the difference.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Failed me as in it really can't push past 85mph much...
My Goldwing failed me. It went to 90mph effortlessly to get away from the semi that was bearing down on us, but when I checked the mileage I was in for a shock: 38mpg!

None of them can do it all; I'm glad I have options. (Yeah, I've got the extremes covered . . . and nothing in between. Someday I might have to do something about that. ;^)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Maybe I'm an old man, but I don't think anyone should be doing or wanting to do 85+ MPH on a bike unless it's on the track. If you find yourself "needing" to, then just let others pass or ride a different, slower, safer road. I always go with the flow and try my best to stick with speed limits. If people want to go faster, I just let them pass. It doesn't upset me in the slightest, because I know I'll be at the next stoplight at the same time they are. I don't upset people, because in a fight that diesel truck will win.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Maybe I'm an old man, but I don't think anyone should be doing or wanting to do 85+ MPH on a bike unless it's on the track. If you find yourself "needing" to, then just let others pass or ride a different, slower, safer road. I always go with the flow and try my best to stick with speed limits. If people want to go faster, I just let them pass. It doesn't upset me in the slightest, because I know I'll be at the next stoplight at the same time they are. I don't upset people, because in a fight that diesel truck will win.
I *am* an old man and the times I've had to go those speeds were going around Chicago where going under 75 would be suicidal and I wound up in a position of having to accelerate to get out of the lane I was in so that I wouldn't get run over.

We generally don't ride there anymore; we usually wind up on the backroads, chugging along at 55-60 to move with the flow and avoid the larger cities. But sometimes tha's what needs to be done . . . .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just enjoy having the time to see more of the world you're passing through.
That's what I actually do. As soon as the road opens up and I see the Pacific Ocean to the right, I slow down to enjoy the breeze and the scenery. And it becomes that much more enjoyable if I see a US Navy ship relatively close to the shore and LCACs just cruising towards the ship. Ahhhh! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I *am* an old man and the times I've had to go those speeds were going around Chicago where going under 75 would be suicidal and I wound up in a position of having to accelerate to get out of the lane I was in so that I wouldn't get run over.

Exactly it was a 2 lane road and the truck was tailgating me for some time... I would have prefered to speed up out of his way than to let him pass especially because I knew corners were ahead.

I really do think people in cars see our little bikes as big bikes that can pass with ease but when it takes a few seconds to pass compared to a second or 2 like other big bikes I think some cars get confused...and tailgate.. Like I said I was riding with big bikes and they were passing with ease, so to have a bike in back struggle passing its somewhat dangerous.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pull off and wait 10 minutes.
This is what I usually do. I usually make it like 6 though and then see if I can catch back up. Fun game.

Or a slow ride works too, enjoy the scenery a little bit.

Next time just relax, I assure you that the road will be there the next day if you really were intent on tearing it up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Next time downshift and use the higher RPM's to pass people. But get a bigger bike if all your worried about is passing people. Who rides higher than 85 anyway?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Next time downshift and use the higher RPM's to pass people. But get a bigger bike if all your worried about is passing people. Who rides higher than 85 anyway?
Very true, it has all that we need in fifth gear..10500rpm mine reaching 150kmh(93mph). With vortex ignition stand alone Ecu I can reach 12200rpm free revving and in reality approximately 11500rpm. 160kmh(99.4mph) it surely does in fifth gear. Most piggy back Feul controller not capable to eliminate stock ecu rev cut at 10500rpm and there you stuck at 170kmh or less by your weight.

Mine reaching 180kmh with vortex ecu but it only make easy cruising 160kmh struggle to 180kmh. With stock exhaust you can smell the heat even themperature indicator normal 3 bars. With full system yoshimura I need ear plug if riding on highway.

But as per stock it does a very good job for my daily highway traveling, I still can stick to fast lane in 3 lane highway. The only trouble is speeding ticket as Malaysian highways limit is 110kmh. Almost every day 1 hour travelling home -office - home I place my self among 600cc kawasaki er6n which is very common bike in malaysia nowaday. The er6n cruising and manageble at 140kmh and so do my cbr250r tailing them on freeway.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts