Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was nearly topped out in 4th and 5th, and slowly going no where in 6th til the truck passed me.

If I was able to pull over I would have, believe me, I usually do but the road I was on was a 2 lane road with cliffs and no shoulder.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
what really irks me, is when some a$$hat is riding my tail and we come to some tight turn and I know I can put alot of distance between us then..only to look back in mirror and see a$$hat driving across double yellows on the wrong side of the road in order to stay on my rear...has happened more times than I can count...I'll usually put on my turn signal 3 times sooner than normal so jerkwad behind me doesnt barrel over me and pull off as soon as I can and let them go on and and endanger someone elses life on up the road..

.if that cant be done for some reason.....I do what the decal on my Sorento back window says ( THE CLOSER YOU GET, THE SLOWER I DRIVE)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe I'm an old man, but I don't think anyone should be doing or wanting to do 85+ MPH on a bike unless it's on the track. If you find yourself "needing" to, then just let others pass or ride a different, slower, safer road. I always go with the flow and try my best to stick with speed limits. If people want to go faster, I just let them pass. It doesn't upset me in the slightest, because I know I'll be at the next stoplight at the same time they are. I don't upset people, because in a fight that diesel truck will win.
Right now I'm reading "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough, it's been around for a while but many people consider it the "Bible" of the activity.

The above sounds like it was taken ,verbatim, from the book.

Besides, truckers have to worry about schedules, timetables and late fees. In some cases, it is their whole life.

I try not to worry about such trivial BS anymore.

If someone wants to go 10 mph faster than me, I move over.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Failed me as in it really can't push past 85mph much...

Pretty much what happened was I was getting tailgated by a huge diesel chevy that passed me going atleast 90+ Well...he pissed me off once the corners came because our bikes can smash in the corners, his truck not so much. Shitty thing is I know if I had a bigger bike id be able to pass him or not let him pass. I would thing a 500 would be perfect 600 4cyls having too much power..But I still love my 250, it'll get up to 80mph pretty well and has passing power if people are doing 50 in a 60.

Passing people doing 65 is...tough.
Before we try to diagnose what is wrong with your bike and why its so slow...., how long have you been riding?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Off road for 3 years, on road for 6, 9 years all together. Had a couple close calls but they weren't my fault.

I do suppose no matter what you ride you have choices and said rider in the video made a wrong choice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
just want to point out that nobody should be blaming the bikes for such things as lack of power, or too much power. as that isnt true. these bike have the right amount of power given the class that they are in. if you have an issue with any of these there is either something wrong with your bike or you are using your bike the wrong way

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well I watched this motovlog..it involves graphic footage...and a 250 not having enough speed.

Read Description First Before Watching (Ratings Disabled) - YouTube
It wasn't a 250 not having enough speed. It was a rider trying to make his bike do something he shouldn't have been doing at the time. If you can't overtake, don't. If it's not safe and you can't see, don't overtake. Be patient and not in a hurry and you'll live longer. That is, unless you buy a 600 because your 250 is "too slow"...then you'll probably not live very long.

I feel for his family, but if he was more patient and just waited to pass until it was completely open, he'd still be around. It's dangerous enough to ride a motorcycle anyway; you don't have to make it more hazardous with stupid riding habits.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
fault finding has limited value, but,
as a father with 2 sons riding + now
my 3rd daughter on a new motorcycle,
on that vlog the father overtook the truck
approaching a blind curve with double
unbroken lines ahead, with learner son
following...
son followed,, ran out of room, panicked
hit rear brakes, tragedy..

anyone, riding with novices,
must and cannot avoid being
riding role models for that novice
unavoidably feeding masses of data
into his/her brain - on how to ride..

if,, they were on 600rr's in that situation
they would likely have both got past..
but the novice on a 600rr overtaking
at speed is entering another risk zone
where the same lack of riding skills
and road craft etc present the same
recipe for disaster..

this is [another] reason for novices to start
on 250's - and - to learn and develop
good basic road craft and riding skills
including, understanding of timing
and knowing, being part of, what their
motorcycle can/will or cannot do..

plainly, he should not have been
attempting that overtake, there, then..

as to needing to overtake, traffic flows etc,
one obvious, easy alternative is to leave
5 or 10mins earlier, allowing time
without needing to shave time off
by pushing yourself/your motorcycle
or the ongoing situation past 'easy'
and safe..

even just a few minutes early start
makes the ride easier, safer and
more enjoyable..

all we can do is learn from
lifes inevitable tragedies..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
That is, unless you buy a 600 because your 250 is "too slow"...then you'll probably not live very long.
Hey now. Just because a 600 has more power and speed, doesn't mean you won't live as long.

I wouldn't mind having a 600 for the "instant" power on tap when overtaking, so I can do it quickly and efficiently. However, it doesn't matter if you ride a 125, 250, 600, 1000+ it comes down to the rider, and respecting what the machine can and cannot do.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Hey now. Just because a 600 has more power and speed, doesn't mean you won't live as long.

I wouldn't mind having a 600 for the "instant" power on tap when overtaking, so I can do it quickly and efficiently. However, it doesn't matter if you ride a 125, 250, 600, 1000+ it comes down to the rider, and respecting what the Rider can and cannot do.
Let me fix that for you.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
How does the machine come into it?
Well, not only the rider, but the machine itself will have limitations on what it can do, right?

So it comes down to both the rider, and the machine, and what (both) can / shouldn't do.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I'm sure cbrlocal was referring to the "I've got 50 miles of riding experience and I need a 600 (better a 1000) supersport cause the 250 is too slooooowwww and I have totally mastered it already lolz!" type of riders.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
If a rider thinks a bike is isn't powerful enough for their fully Hektic skillz,

they aint ready for more powaaarr.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm sure cbrlocal was referring to the "I've got 50 miles of riding experience and I need a 600 (better a 1000) supersport cause the 250 is too slooooowwww and I have totally mastered it already lolz!" type of riders.
Yeah, I know. All good. Was just a bit of a troll. :p

21 - 40 of 74 Posts