Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
I find it more refreshing when someone proudly posts up their new 600 or 1000 and they say they bought it because they've always wanted one since they were a kid/gives them a boner/can afford it/ have always loved them/ waited for ages to find the right one etc.

Instead of those trying to Justify that they needed its performance.
I'd love to own a classic late '80's, early '90's Porsche 911, for the very same reasons that you point out, not because I feel some crazy need or desire to do 180 MPH on public roads. Can you imagine all the squids there would be flying down highways and freeways in Porsches, Ferraris, and other exotic sports cars if it weren't for the fact that the majority can't afford to buy one? That those cars are so expensive is a good thing in my opinion.

As far as 600 super sport and 1000 sport bikes go, we have two problems with them in the U.S... one, they are relatively cheap to buy (especially as used bikes), and two, we have no tiered licensing system to keep those bikes out of the hands of inexperienced riders. It's unfortunate.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I find it more refreshing when someone proudly posts up their new 600 or 1000 and they say they bought it because they've always wanted one since they were a kid/gives them a boner/can afford it/ have always loved them/ waited for ages to find the right one etc.

Instead of those trying to Justify that they needed its performance.
One of the most succinct and keenly astute postings I've read on here for a while.

I love, love, love the technology, power, sound, and sophistication of inline 4 sportbikes. I really do. Yet I can't reconcile the disadvantages to owning one, personally. But I think it's great that others love them and lay their money down. I just can't figure out why so many feel a need to justify their purchase with such bizarre and dubious rationales. Is it so bad to admit that it's their "dream bike" - the one they've always fantasized about? It's like they're too ashamed to admit that their will is weak - and the addiction is strong. It's like a meth addict explaining that they repeatedly self-administer the drug because it promotes weight loss and mitigates their concerns about the inherent health dangers of obesity. You really expect us to believe that?!?! Then again - I guess if its said enough times.....

Things like "I purchased a 600cc/1000cc sportbike as a safety issue - because it was dangerous to be tail-gated by vehicles at 85-90 mph on the highway. Now with my supersport - I can more safely ride at 100+ speeds on the highway to carefully distance myself from such vehicles. Yes - despite what all the actuarial evidence suggests - 250cc motorcycles are dangerous. I need to upgrade to a high powered supersport right away! Those who object simply don't understand what riding in ____ region is like. It's so much different than where everyone else rides. Everyone here drives wayyy faster and crazier, and the only answer is to be able to out-pace everyone.

Dialogue:

Mom: (As son is leaving for work in the morning) "Can you please ride a little faster this morning - maybe about 130 mph - I'm a little nervous about the dangers involved in others tail-gating you at 85 mph?"

Son: "Aw shucks ma! Were you reading about the dangers of riding a CBR250R on the www.cbr250.net forum again?!? You need to stop visiting that site now you've given me $10,000 and I'm riding something much safer. This CBR600RR is like a hot little Volvo ma! Never you mind. I'll tuck in just for you today and keep it at 135 mph so I can keep a safe distance from others. I don't want you to worry".

Mom: "Thanks dear". And no need for you spoutin' any of those swear words.

Son: Ma - I said "Volvo" not vulva.

Mom: Hmpht!! And to think I thought those Swedes named a car after a.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
So there is no cops, wildlife, birds, oncoming traffic, machine failure, roadworks, or anything stopping you unleashing every ounce of power.?

any of these things except for cops can happen at any time while on a motorcycle. and can all be fatal weather you are riding like grandma or mr rossi himself. these are the risks we take. i know my risks as someone who occasionally rides hard. you guys make it seem like im making myself sound invincible.

i am not at all disagreeing with you guys on danger and liability aspect of this topic. and for the few people that labeled me a squid, i can assure you im the furthest thing from one. i take this sport very seriously. im very educated on the topic as well with the rules and regulations. i know i break the law and i assume full responsibility for my actions. i understand that spirited riding is dangerous. its the risk i take to do what i love. i never meant to imply that i ride hard safely in a perfect safe atmosphere. no such thing even exists

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I think that the problem lies with some people seeing motorcycling on public roads as a "sport". It isn't. Sport in its very nature is competitive, and solely for the track. Motorcycling on public roads is transport. Fun, cheap, enjoyable transport, but transport all the same. ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I very much appreciate these rational voices. I was ostracized at a cycle store when I questioned an accomplished rider I saw doing 120mph on the curves on a highway, which is sure to draw police patrols. The clerks had done this themselves and thought I wasn't cool enough for their attention. Seems like to qualify as a real biker around here you have to have 600 cc's and speed somewhere on public roads since there is no track for hundreds of miles. Anyone who does that around here will soon be selling their bikes, as one experienced biker told me who was caught doing 125 in a 55 mph zone. He faced jail time but was given a break and paid a fine. However, the cost of his insurance went through the roof so much so he could no longer afford the bike, so he sold it. His days on a bike were over.

You really cannot do much high speed sport riding in a populated area without risking everything. Too many SUV's, the 4 wheel equivalent of 1000 cc bikes, on the inside of curves.

I can undertstand more power for touring and riding two up for any distance. You just cannot do it comfortably on this bike. I weigh too much to ride with 50 or 60 pounds of gear at highway speeds for a long distance especially pulling grades. The little CBR is straining too hard to maintain 70 on a grade in the mountains. But for around town its a fun, economical transportation.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
I very much appreciate these rational voices. I was ostracized at a cycle store when I questioned an accomplished rider I saw doing 120mph on the curves on a highway, which is sure to draw police patrols. The clerks had done this themselves and thought I wasn't cool enough for their attention. Seems like to qualify as a real biker around here you have to have 600 cc's and speed somewhere on public roads since there is no track for hundreds of miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
not sure where you are from but there are judgmental people like that everywhere. cant stand people like that. kinda like the harley guys who act like you never even went by. hell i even wave to people on scooters

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had a similar experience last week driving a 1999 Porsche 911, with 300HP and 250 ft-lbs or torque, which is ridiculous for the weight of it. I am the caretaker of the beast-monster and "have" to drive it one day per month while its owner is in Europe.

Anyway, you really only need 4 of the 6 speeds. Below 70mph it isn't that much fun, although accelerating to 70 is pretty brisk. What it seems best at is taking corners at speeds way above most other cars and motorcycles.

But it is missing the fun factor for most of what is legal in the USA, and it begs to open up and get you a driving citation. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seems like to qualify as a real biker around here you have to have 600 cc's and speed somewhere on public roads since there is no track for hundreds of miles.

This exactly. i don't talk smack about my bike at all. i know what it is. the other night, i was at an event at my local drag strip (not competing, it was a street car showdown called all out call out), when a girl looks over and asks "hey, do you ride?" i replied with "yeah! i ride a 250 haha which i know is tiny but i love it". without skiping a beat, she looks at me and says "wow... a 250... thats basically like riding a pedal bike... could never do that. i just like to ride to ride" and i was all. "...yea so do i... i just like being able use all of my bike legally"... she continued to describe her bike and how she does 120+on a daily basis

i dont get why people feel the need to ride like jackasses in order to be a "real rider"

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i dont get why people feel the need to ride like jackasses in order to be a "real rider"
For the same reason you have a 911 as your avatar.;)
A lot of people seem to think that the strength and speed of their machine will be seen as strength and speed of them and by that adding to their overall social status. It's not different from the gorilla banging his chest to prove he's the strongest.

·
Registered
94 Posts
lol i have a 911 as my avatar because my name is backfirepro, and this was just a pretty cool picture i found of some nice tail flame action ;) i get flack for owning a 250 and a tank of a z31 300zx, but i like them both for their own reasons :) neither are fast

·
Registered
55 Posts
My bike does a true mph! I know this because i have drove by many mph speed monitors and its never been off. If anything maybe by 1mph. Ive done 96mph on my bike. And thats pushing it for all it has on a straight lever road. Fully tucked. But i only weigh 160lb
I feel my bike does everything it should! No disappointments here. And i get great mileage.
If anything my bike has surprised me with what it can do. Best little bike for a single 250r. Gonna ride it til the wheels fall off. Then i will mod it like crazy and ride it again! Lol

61 - 74 of 74 Posts