Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 600 Class: Streetbikes/Supersports Upgrade Shootout

I got tired of trying to search for the performance info I wanted in too many different places, so I took the liberty of charting and posting my findings in hopes to help you folks out too. For future reference, these numbers are for 2011/2012-ish models. Take a look at how remarkably similar the stats are for each category. When you back up and look at it, the biggest determining factors to me are the practical things that have nothing to do with performance like style, comfort, price, mpg, etc.

1st, here's the specs for our beloved CBR250R and it's top rival Ninja 250R just so we know what we're up against...
Code:
BIKE    	[email protected]  	[email protected]	WEIGHT	HP:LB	TQ:LB	0-60mph
CBR250R 	[email protected] 	[email protected] 	357lbs	1:16	1:24	8.5s
Ninja 250R	[email protected]  	[email protected] 	375lbs	1:15	1:29	7.7s
Next, here's the specs for the usual contenders for middle-weight streetbike upgrades...
Code:
BIKE		[email protected]  	[email protected]	WEIGHT	HP:LB	TQ:LB	0-60mph
SV650(S/F)	[email protected] 	[email protected] 	436lbs	1:6 	1:9 	3.6s
Ninja 650R	[email protected] 	[email protected] 	460lbs	1:7 	1:11	3.7s
FZ-6R		[email protected] 	[email protected] 	470lbs	1:7 	1:12	3.8s
And finally, here's the specs for the "big 4" in the 600 class supersports...
Code:
BIKE    	[email protected]  	[email protected]	WEIGHT	HP:LB	TQ:LB	0-60mph
CBR-600RR	[email protected]	[email protected]	410lbs	1:4 	1:9 	3.4s
GSX-R600	[email protected]	[email protected]	412lbs	1:4 	1:9 	3.3s
ZX-6R   	[email protected]	[email protected]	421lbs	1:4 	1:10	3.3s
YZF-R6  	[email protected]	[email protected]	417lbs	1:4 	1:10	3.4s
Hopefully, this consolidated direct comparison of performance specs will be helpful, and at the very least, neat.

Enjoy! :)

(Note: These numbers are rounded off and meant to provide ballpark figures. If you find any significant errors in the data, please do let me know so this can be as accurate of a resource as possible. Thanks)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Bike weight in the middle class sport is disappointing and that alone wld be a deterrant for me purchasing one. Definately wld head to the cbr 600rr:D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 things really surprised me. 1 is that all of the super-sport bikes are over 400lbs. And 2 is that the 0-60 times for the street bikes is almost as fast as the track bikes. For practical riding, I can see that the middle-weight street bikes are purpose-built indeed. That weight should make for some stable tour riding.

My favorites, by category are...
250: Honda!!! (for EFI)
Street-bikes: Kawasaki Ninja 650R (for comfort & adjustable windscreen)
Super Sport: Gixxer (for power/weight)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Do you know what the 0-60 times are for the middle class? I wld have to factor in the weight of an upgraded bike....the middle class contenders look to be 70+ lb difference from the 250. Of course the torque is monumental and certainly a consideration as the cbr 600rr will do 140kph in second compared to 140kph in 6th on the 250 lol

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
OOps......looked at graph again and saw the times. Not much difference is there, especially with increased weight in the middle class group. Still like the lighter weight. I like being able to move my bike in all situations without flagging another pair of arms down to help me :D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
For street use, the street-bikes are definitely adequate. 0-60 in about 3.6 seconds. Top speed around 130mph. Same torque as the super sports but at lower RPM's. The sacrifice is horsepower on the top-end. IMHO, the super-sports should be left to those who actually wanna do track time. The street-bikes are exactly what they sound like they're for. They have more comfort and low-end torque. A lot of folks think they won't be enough, but I believe that's either ego or stupidity if we're talking public roads.

However, SS bikes are indeed lighter, so that's something to consider if you always ride by yourself (SS bikes suck riding 2-up). I will say that the lower the center of gravity, the less the weight matters. I had a cruiser that weighed over 500lbs and it was very easy to ride because of its low center of gravity and low seat height.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I agree with you. I owned an HD which was around 600lbs, seat height around 28in, so I cld plant my feet firmly with bended knees so was quite easy to maneuver. My last bike a cbf 1000 was 550lbs, seat height 32in, and a 25 litre tank, so it was very top heavy and I have a bugger of a time moving that thing around. Takes the fun and ease out of riding with the worry of finding a level parking surface.

In regards to the SS, I also agree. Alot of thought must be put into the purchase. I admit i'm a honda cbr fan. I LOVE the 600rr and hope to own one one day. They are a nice balanced machine and light enough to maneuver. Still, one needs a pilots license to ride one lol. It's a future consideration. At this point in time I am enjoying a blast with the weebee. Meets and exceed my needs at he present.

Thanks for posting the above stats. Very interesting:D

·
Registered
501 Posts
No wonder people get in trouble on a sport bike, 100+ hp & 400 +lbs. My car only has 100hp and it weights 2400lbs

·
Banned
834 Posts
man 250's are slow as turds. I pray Honda unveils a cbr400r, parallel twin. I'll keep mine for a year and hopefully next season there will be a 400.

I don't need a super fast bike but 0-60 at 8.5 sec! The old pos 94 honda civic ex I used to have back in the day did better than that at 8.3 sec. geez. I would be a bit happier with this bike if we were able to get at least 6 sec for 0-60. Honeslty, my 178cc (auto) scooter felt faster off the line. I used to smoke cars regularly from the light with that pos chinese scooter. lol (Even though they weren't trying to beat me). I have to shift too many gears off the line on this bike. Honda recommends 6th gear for 35 mph !! :eek:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...I pray Honda unveils a cbr400r, parallel twin...
...I would be a bit happier with this bike if we were able to get at least 6 sec for 0-60...
...6th gear for 35 mph!! :eek:
I agree. A 400cc twin would be a nice mid point between efficiency and performance. That engine size could likely do a 6 second 0-60. Oh, and for the 250, I'm only in 4th gear @ 35mph. I doubt anyone on these forums shifts that early, haha.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I agree. A 400cc twin would be a nice mid point between efficiency and performance. That engine size could likely do a 6 second 0-60. Oh, and for the 250, I'm only in 4th gear @ 35mph. I doubt anyone on these forums shifts that early, haha.
4th gear at 35mph, sound like slow accleration. I like to acclerate to the speed limit in a short time.

id even love single cyl 400cc CBR.

·
Banned
834 Posts
I'm only in 4th gear @ 35mph. I doubt anyone on these forums shifts that early, haha.
yeah me too but I find it ridiculous that the honda manual says to shift into 6th for 35 mph.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I no muscle man. I hardly noticed the weight going from 250 to 600. I did notice it going back to the 250 after a couple months of only riding 600. I also felt how toyish the acceleration was on the 250.
130 top speed may not be accurate. Ive hit 140 and had a little left and was getting spooked so i let off. Bike starts to shake a bit at 140. I would say top speed is around 150 somthing.
I see a lot of speculation on this forum about 600's. You just need to ride one for a week to get it but I can stand behind this statement. The 600 out performs the 250 as a " performance bike" in everyway you can imagine. If you want a commuter to just putt around on and save some money at the pump then stay on your 250. My motorcycle was always a luxury item strictly for fun so it was missing a lil in the thrill factor. I got a 600 and havent regretted it one bit. Now that the 250 is a trackbike i get a lot more out of it and i love it.

Reactions: Asako

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I'm shifting from second at 35 mph going into third. Wind it out in third, hit fourth, wind it out... This bike will accelerate, you just have to be willing to get on it. Granted it's not a 600, but you can get it to move out.

Of course, if you are going for UBERMILEAGE, short shift per Honda's recommendations. And don't complain when the little old lady in a Civic smokes you away from the green light. It's your call.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm shifting from second at 35 mph going into third. Wind it out in third, hit fourth, wind it out... This bike will accelerate, you just have to be willing to get on it. Granted it's not a 600, but you can get it to move out.

Same here. Fast when you want it to be. And ive never redline it yet.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Shorties ( no offense) will love the GSXR. I'm 5 6 and rode the 2012 GSXR600 just fine. I wore flat boots and almost flat footed the bike. 30 inseam. Power delivery is linear as can be. I would say get the bike and you wont regret it for a 2nd. I just didnt care for the exhaust note that much. Sounded flat and angry. Not like R6 VROOMMMMM. Would LOVE to test a CBR600. Still dont go by reviews or youtube reviews. Very bad way to buy any expensive item going by someone's else experience.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Shorties ( no offense) will love the GSXR. I'm 5 6 and rode the 2012 GSXR600 just fine. I wore flat boots and almost flat footed the bike. 30 inseam. Power delivery is linear as can be. I would say get the bike and you wont regret it for a 2nd. I just didnt care for the exhaust note that much. Sounded flat and angry. Not like R6 VROOMMMMM. Would LOVE to test a CBR600. Still dont go by reviews or youtube reviews. Very bad way to buy any expensive item going by someone's else experience.
Tallies, like me love the triumph and the GSXR. 6'1" and 33" inseam here.

·
Banned
834 Posts
I will be honest. I like the look of the cbr250r more than the power. Anyway you look at it it's a 250 with bells and whistles, but at the edn of the day it's still a slow as a turd 250 just like the ninjette, rebel and Hyosong starter bikes. I actually enjoyed my scooter a little more more than riding this bike now. I'm kinda bored and it's only been less than two months. I feel I did need to start out on a 250, but it would have been better if I could have rented a 250 for a month before possibly buying a bigger bike. I am happy I got the cbr250r over the ninjette. Everybody and their mama has one of those closet 80's bikes.

Although I feel 100% comfortable shifting now I think this bike would be more fun with an automatic. I rode the hell out of my last scooter and loved every second of it it's top speed was only 60 mph max. I would be willing to bet that my old scooter could beat this cbr250r from 0-40. I've beat a few motorcycles going from stop light to stop light with that scooter. Just crank the throttle and haul butt.

The only thing that concerns me is the higher maintenance on the bigger bikes. It's nice to know the cbr250r bike is a cheap motorcycle to own (Doing your own maintenance). Also, I'm really more of a cruiser rather than a speed demon but it's nice to feel a rush every now and then and the 250 doesn't fulfill that need.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It all goes in cycles. I've done the fast bike thing before and now I'm on a 250!
I was bored on a fast bike cause stop lights, traffic cops, bad drivers, no autobahn etc.
Oh yeah I forget to mention speed limits. Its all good this is what keeps the economy moving and my neighbors and me employed in the great scheme of things.

·
Banned
834 Posts
It all goes in cycles. I've done the fast bike thing before and now I'm on a 250!
I was bored on a fast bike cause stop lights, traffic cops, bad drivers, no autobahn etc.
Oh yeah I forget to mention speed limits. Its all good this is what keeps the economy moving and my neighbors and me employed in the great scheme of things.
I agree. I know the bigger bike will get me into trouble so I think I should better keep this bike. lol I just wish this bike was a little quicker off the line in the 0-60 dept, Honda should have at least shot for 7 secs. A mom in a mini van beat me the other day. lol

1 - 20 of 68 Posts