Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike out for a long hour long drive today to get all the 100% ethanol free gas through all the lines and burn up any extra fluids from starting it up and shortly before I parked it I had to idle at a stop light for close to 2 minutes. Was that enough idling to need to go ride it for another hour or two before I park it or should I be fine. On a side note I changed the oil 300 miles ago for the winter. 300 miles shouldn't be enough to cause any problems for fresh oil winter storage should it?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You are fine, but i would have added the fuel stabilizer before going for a ride. You want the stabilizer to get all the way into the system and injector. Might have to go for another ride...

Idling after it's fully warm is not a big problem, it's idling when the engine is cold or running to "warm it up" during storage that causes the problems.

Synthetic or a synthetic-blend oil like Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 is a better choice (anytime, but especially during storage) than Hondaline GN-4 (pretty sure that's Honda's conventional 30-weight oil) IMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I always use standard Stabil - 1oz per 2.5 gal - and never had an issue. It's hard to say how long it takes for the treated gas to make it to the injector. If you can, go for another long ride, then top-off the tank.

It looks like those stands would work with the CBR from what I can tell. A handier (but usually more expensive) type of front stand picks up the front using the hole in the bottom of the triple clamp. That way you can remove the forks as well as the wheel. With the kind that's pictured you can only remove the wheel.

I also have a roll-on wheel chock that is very handy to have, but it only secures the front and doesn't allow for wheel removal. It makes working on the bike very nice because it's held vertical and also makes putting it on the rear stand a much safer venture when working alone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you mind linking the two things you were referring to so I can order them? And just to clarify you're saying add the stabilizer, take a long ride, and top off the tank to finish? Or add stabilizer, take long ride, top off tank, and ALSO top off the stabilizer? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
These are the stands -

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/trackside-roll-on-wheel-chock

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/trackside-universal-head-lift-stand

There are many different brands available. I have the Trackside chock, and like it. I have a different brand of front stand that is the same type.

Add the stabilizer now (1oz per 2.5 gal) and go for a 30 min ride. When you get back, just add some gas to top-off the tank. No need to worry about adding more stabilizer - it's not that critical.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! In terms of the type of stabilizer should is there just one kind or one that's more spicifialy geared towards the cbr 250r engines?
Thanks for your patience

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
without spools installed undersides of swingarm rest on
the rubber attachment of the rear stand [like mine]
just make sure you adjust the width of it,
making it snug but not tight on swingarm..

these stands are typically made to support various
widths of swingarm, so dont count on it being
perfectly adjusted for your particular bike..

there will be an adjustment nut on it,
allowing you to move the rubber part
wider or narrower.. should be simple..

when snug/not tight bike is stable when lifting,
and generally when up on stand..

front should be similarly simple in adjustment
if necessary to fit your front fork width..

not a bad idea to position bike close to
a wall for long storage and when you
dont need all around access etc..

doesnt hurt to have someone to just help
with stability while you get the hang of
lifting it onto rear stand..
but read the instructions for it,,
and if in doubt call the makers
contact number for advice..

[same applies for using other products]

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
Thank you! In terms of the type of stabilizer should is there just one kind or one that's more spicifialy geared towards the cbr 250r engines?
Thanks for your patience
You'll find Sta-bil at auto parts stores, as well as at the common big box stores (Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.).

Looks like this...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts