For those of you that have yet to change the exhaust, I am going to throw my two cents in on the subject in this thread.
- Our bikes are 250cc. They produce 23 hp or so, from what I have read. You risk turning your bike into a POS that backfires, produces too much noise, gets worse gas mileage, etc. all for perhaps a tiny tiny gain when you mess with the exhaust. Or, even worse, you get all of the above with no measurable gain.
- Honda designers engineered a very suitable exhaust system for this bike.
- Exhaust is more than just "opening it up so it can breathe." If this were not the case then the best exhaust mod would be to hack the thing off and leave it open.
- Exhaust scavenging improves engine efficiency, and scavenging comes from an ideal amount of exhaust restriction.
- Look at all the threads on this site about making aftermarket exhaust quieter. Most aftermarket exhausts, I will venture to say, add more NOISE increase than Horsepower.
- A loud exhaust does not make you safer, only more obnoxious. At moderate to higher speeds people behind you (i.e. those that see you) may hear you better... those in front, they still can't hear you.
- You may want to sell your bike someday. You may have to spend money to get it back to bone stock in order to entice a buyer willing to pay top dollar, or else you may have to sell it at a discount because its got a stupid fart can on the side of it. Many people looking at used bikes, myself included, would look at an aftermarket exhaust on this bike and think it is a big red flag not to buy the used bike in question. Save the money you'd spend on this exhaust and put it toward your next bike, if you aspire to a more powerful bike.
- Stock exhaust weighs 40 pounds? Okay, I will take peoples word for it that they weighed it on a scale. Aftermarket exhaust weighs 10 pounds? Okay, so the weight savings is 30 pounds. Why not just exercise more, get healthier yourself, and lose that 30 pounds from your belly instead of changing your exhaust? Put the $500 you'd spend on the exhaust towards weight watchers.