Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

So what do you think? Is Sarge right, or off his rocker?

• Sarge is spot on! Leave the stock exhaust alone!

Votes: 134 47.5%
  • Sarge is full of crap! Aftermarket is better, so go for it!

Votes: 148 52.5%
221 - 240 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
big guy checking in. 5'11" 230lbs. So yes, i could lose weight, but i mainly switched mine to the delkevic slip on for added awareness of other drivers, and to get rid of the vacuum of a muffler that is the stock pipe. Wasn't really gunning for performance, if that was the case i wouldn't have bought a 250cc thumper. But i love this bike, and the unintentional (to my methodology) consequence of the slip on is that my bike felt a little more peppy and rev happy in the higher ranges, with no ill effects of backfiring (although my name would suggest otherwise) or running lean. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just want the stainless head pipe. I have changed many exhaust systems on bikes in the past. I only noticed an increase in performance on one machine. A 1994 yamaha Blaster 4 wheeler, I bought new.
On 5 or 6 other machines I had tuning trouble or absolutely no change in performance. I kind of like the look of the stock triangular shape also. And I agree while louder pipes sound cool, they don't help save lives. IMO.
I want the stainless head pipe only because I have seen many painted headpipes rust and look bad. And I just like stainless. A painted head pipe belongs on a fourwheeler where it can get rusty and look like crap. not on my bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Every extra 10lbs in weight will lose a horse power so if you are a heavy lose that weight.
Put on a lighter exhaust put on a lighter battery, better breathing air filter(this I did) oh put on a better rear shock stiffen the front end with emulators. ah the list goes on on on(taking the piss but don't let it stop you)......but really who cares. I have a bsa burgess type exhaust pipe on the rear it sounds great and very different acceleration is improve no loss on fuel consumption oh I rev the thing too put some sticky tyres on as well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Has anyone mentioned yet that if you fit an aftermarket pipe you can store the original somewhere warm, dry and safe and be sure that it can be bolted back on in pristine condition if you do choose to sell the bike?

EDIT. Oops, it appears I have already made that point myself. I thought this thread looked sort of familiar but didn't initially bother to check back over previous pages.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Every extra 10lbs in weight will lose a horse power so if you are a heavy lose that weight....
While loosing weight the bike is carrying is the best performance mod for the money ($0), the 10 pounds per HP is a myth. If so, his 230 pound frame would make the bike have 0 HP, since it only has 23 to the wheel.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have a Coffman's shorty so mine is obviously louder than most aftermarkets, I have never got a complaint, and since installing it less people have cut me off.

To be honest though. It's your choice and I could care less if you choose to stick with stock or not. Would prefer you change it so if I ever do go back(and I somehow lose my stock exhaust) I can find it for cheap rather than paying $500 from Honda :O

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have pretty much the whole ball of wax. Yosh R77 pipe, Yosh headers, and a Dynojet Power Commander V. With a fuel map that has roughly a 20% boost near full throttle the top end acceleration on the highway is significantly improved. Most of my around town mileage is still in the 67 MPG range and Interstate travel at 70 - 75 in a heavy wind with a lot of full throttle acceleration with some decent uphill travel is still 52 MPG worst case and usually at or slightly over 55 MPG without the wind. If I keep my hand out of the throttle and buzz around town at 5K it is reasonably quiet (particularly with the db killer/quiet tip installed). When I whack open the throttle to 8K or so because someone has moved into my lane without realizing I am there it gets their attention and they move back over to their respective lane. I also like to be able to blip the throttle to let people know I am there in certain situations (my hi-viz gear helps too of course). With the carbon fiber can it also looks and sounds very good and the carbon fiber never feels even slightly warm to the touch. Dropping a respectable amount of weight is a nice bonus that I won't complain about either (depending on who you believe dropping 12 or so pounds is like gaining an additional horsepower and when you only have 23 at the rear wheel that starts to add up when you couple it with the increases from the other changes). The reasons above are more than enough for me. I have a bunch of other upgrades into this bike to personalize it and make it my own. All of these were carefully researched and to my mind add significant value to my riding experience (taller windscreen, front and rear suspension, aftermarket brake pads, aftermarket tires, better grips, etc). I could get a bike that is bigger, faster, and quieter but wringing out my little 250 is a lot of fun and I can push the bike to both of our respective limits without stacking up a lot of reckless driving tickets. My bike sees a lot of urban riding which it is probably better suited for than any other bike aside from a small dual sport (i.e. light, narrow, torquey for size).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I tend to prefer the stock exhausts. I have ridden with louder pipes and am not comfortable on rides as the noise bothers me. I also don't like to wake up the neighbors.
I will only scold riders (never in person as I'm not stupid) for having too loud pipes because I think it is anti-social and just makes riders look like big babies.
Anything else you want to tart your ride with is fine with me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree that the stock is fugly. Has anyone changed their stock 250 exhaust for a stock cbr300 one?? They've been out long eenough to get one that somebody has taken off!!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I agree that the stock is fugly. Has anyone changed their stock 250 exhaust for a stock cbr300 one?? They've been out long eenough to get one that somebody has taken off!!
I doubt the CBR300R muffler weighs much less than the 250, and for me, it was feeling the heft of the stock muffler in my hands that made the decision easy.
For me, it was about weight, not cosmetics.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
might be worthwhile checking out how hot
300 muffler gets before deciding..
mine gets too hot, way too hot..
to be replaced with a good slip on..

·
Registered
142 Posts
I personally won't ride without earplugs. at highway speeds wind is worse than the exhaust note. You don't just get deaf, from that constant wind noise, you can get tinnitus which is not pleasant by any means.

Switching to these this season made a big difference, Some days I might have them in for 14 out of 24 hours, inc 8 hours of riding time.

Noticeably more attenuation, and more comfortable. I really take care with putting them in, using two hands as instructed, and that makes a difference on total comfort and ear irritation.

My point is, if you never go above 40 miles an hour, and keep the Revs low, the stock exhaust makes a difference in sound. For the rest of the cases, you should be using plugs if.concerned about your hearing.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-33dB-Disposable-Plugs/dp/B005IYDKSM

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tend to prefer the stock exhausts. I have ridden with louder pipes and am not comfortable on rides as the noise bothers me. I also don't like to wake up the neighbors.
I will only scold riders (never in person as I'm not stupid) for having too loud pipes because I think it is anti-social and just makes riders look like big babies.
Anything else you want to tart your ride with is fine with me.
Waking up the neighbours doesn't bother me one bit. Being heard on the road and helping drivers to know where I am in relation to their car matters infinitely more.

It's something that is difficult to understand until you have someone ride your bike while you drive. When I bought my bike I got the owner to deliver it to my house. He followed my car for several miles back to my village. I knew exactly where the bike was at all times without needing to look in the mirrors. There were occasions when he was in my blind spot but I still knew he was there purely because of the sound of the noisy exhaust.

Even if having a loud exhaust is only 10% safer than having a quiet one, it's still worth waking the neighbours. :)

Cheers

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ear plugs: I'm on the wrong side of 60 years and wish I had used earplugs while motorcycling from the start. Tinnitus = me, and I've some hearing loss in my right ear.

You still hear things around you with the earplugs in place, just subdued.

I use Howard Leight MAX earplugs. I think the earplugstore.com has them and other choices. Order a variety pack of 2 sets of each type if you're not sure of which one to be your main types.

When inserting the earplugs, I've found that having a wet ear canal greatly helps get the earplug in place. ymmv.

Reactions: pooder7

·
Registered
399 Posts
I should have paid more attention to this thread, or specifically the title.
Last week I bought a Delkevic 450mm can, supposedly their quietest. On Tuesday I fitted it and went out on a 7 mile loop that takes in country lanes and dual carriageway. That was the longest 7 miles I've ever ridden on my CBR. At 40-50mph the sound was just about tolerable but the drone at 70mph and the bark when accelerating were too much for me. After letting the bike cool down the standard can went straight back on.
I really wanted shinier and lighter and the bike did feel a little livelier between 4000 and 6000 revs but for me the big increase in noise just wasn't worth it.

Anyone less sensitive than me is welcome to make me an offer for a very low mileage Delkevic end can.

221 - 240 of 280 Posts