Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

So what do you think? Is Sarge right, or off his rocker?

• Sarge is spot on! Leave the stock exhaust alone!

Votes: 134 47.5%
  • Sarge is full of crap! Aftermarket is better, so go for it!

Votes: 148 52.5%
241 - 260 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
within the first 4 months of me buying my 12 cbr brand new, i bought a leo vince corsa exhaust. WAY too loud, especially at highway speeds. as others on this thread, i bought it for cosmetics and weight savings, and wanted a bit more noise (not deafening) but if i knew what i was in for, i would've saved my money. thankfully i didnt spend too much. now i plan on cracking open the leo vince and gonna try to quiet it down to get a good happy medium between the stock exhaust and the leo vince exhaust.

Reactions: Keith

·
Registered
242 Posts
within the first 4 months of me buying my 12 cbr brand new, i bought a leo vince corsa exhaust. WAY too loud, especially at highway speeds. as others on this thread, i bought it for cosmetics and weight savings, and wanted a bit more noise (not deafening) but if i knew what i was in for, i would've saved my money. thankfully i didnt spend too much. now i plan on cracking open the leo vince and gonna try to quiet it down to get a good happy medium between the stock exhaust and the leo vince exhaust.
Shouldnt be too hard to crack open, my blew its own arse off after about 3k miles. Rubbish build quality and like you said, too noisy.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Shouldnt be too hard to crack open, my blew its own arse off after about 3k miles. Rubbish build quality and like you said, too noisy.

yeah its not too hard, just drill out the stainless steel rivets, slide the cap off and stuff it with more fiberglass (its been broken in so im sure theres plenty of room) and slide cap back on and put new stainless steel rivets in. i have quite a few other projects going on at the same time so im more focused on getting my daily right first

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
When I cracked mine open after 8k miles, the packing material still looked brand new and was in excellent shape. I can't really agree with people saying the Leo Vince build quality is shoddy. There was lots of nicely woven fiberglass fibers, all wrapped in a nylon weave, stuffed very tightly around a steel mesh on top of the perforated exhaust tube. There was only slight blackening towards the header pipe end that did not penetrate more than 1/2" up the insulation. In fact, I was mad I cracked the thing open at all after seeing that.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
yeah its not too hard, just drill out the stainless steel rivets, slide the cap off and stuff it with more fiberglass (its been broken in so im sure theres plenty of room) and slide cap back on and put new stainless steel rivets in. i have quite a few other projects going on at the same time so im more focused on getting my daily right first
You have to wrap the inner tube; you can't just stuff more fiberglass in. It will leak around the packing and burn the outer layer.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
an option for some could be wiring stainless steel wire
[eg, pot scrubber] to inside of holed disc at inlet end of
the cannister.. the dic fits in here as part of installation..

installing the strongest db killer option,
i considered but never got around to doing
that addition modification to the inlet disc
as given consideration in riding style
it didnt seem necessary to me..

altho,, it will bark under loading
such as overtakes and off the ligts etc..

[also agree on general quality of design and
manufacture of the lv evoii carbon s/o]

·
Registered
139 Posts
an option for some could be wiring stainless steel wire
[eg, pot scrubber] to inside of holed disc at inlet end of
the cannister.. the dic fits in here as part of installation..

installing the strongest db killer option,
i considered but never got around to doing
that addition modification to the inlet disc
as given consideration in riding style
it didnt seem necessary to me..

altho,, it will bark under loading
such as overtakes and off the ligts etc..

[also agree on general quality of design and
manufacture of the lv evoii carbon s/o]
that's a good idea. i believe most leo vince exhaust systems came with a db killer(mine did) and even with the db killer in, its still pretty loud and ruins any decent exhaust note. nonetheless i did use it before i put stock can back on.

You have to wrap the inner tube; you can't just stuff more fiberglass in. It will leak around the packing and burn the outer layer.
oh yeah i know, the closest thing i can describe the process is wrapping cotton candy on a stick. ive done it before with a car muffler, but not on a bike so idk how tight the wrapping has to be.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its amazing that the Debate hear is even an arguable issue.......talk about "Keeping up with the Jones'.....sheech.

The Fact is: Unless any of you yeah Sayers have brought your CBR into a Dyno Shop right after you bought it, Blown your warranty immediately by having it tested, then installed an aftermarket pipe of your choosing, then Re Dyno'd it,..... YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!

Many of us that have a CBR 250/300 are not looking to scare the cats and wake up the neighbors....Just get from point A to point B efficiently.

Misnomer: Loud pipes do not save lives
Loud pipes will save me from an accident because they can hear me coming.
Loud pipes mean I have a large dick and I'll attract more women.

An Aftermarket Exhaust Pipe is for Pro Racers or fools. Period. Unless you know, Don't Blow.....

Cheers

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm sure it's all been said before but there are many good reasons to buy aftermarket pipes. For me, my bike is 4 years old and I am the third owner so the warranty is not an issue.

Twenty or thirty years ago motorbike noise restrictions were not as tight as they are now but new bikes then did not scare cats and wake up the neighbours. Back then motorbikes sounded less like sewing machines and more like ....... well ............ motorbikes. There is scope for making a bit more noise without being offensive.

The original exhaust is ugly, heavy and corrosion prone. My intention in buying an aftermarket pipe was to have something lighter and shinier on the bike and keep the original in good condition for when I might sell the bike.

Unfortunately lighter, shinier and reasonably quiet seems to be a combination that none of the aftermarket manufacturers have been able to achieve for the CBR250R, to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I stuck with the stocker on the 250 as well as my 750. Sure, they are ugly and heavy, but there are better things to spend money on first. Brakes, suspension, tires, and track days. Each to their own. I do drool over a nice Akra or Yoshi for my Suzuki, but my internal cost/benefit calculator says not yet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
IMO the biggest let down with the aftermarket cans is the decibel level of the majority of them.
I'm all for a lighter pipe in stainless steel or CF that wont rust and looks more stylish, but I don't particularly want to announce it to the world. Especially as these small singles don't have (IMO) the most appealing of exhaust notes.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Its amazing that the Debate hear is even an arguable issue.......talk about "Keeping up with the Jones'.....sheech.

The Fact is: Unless any of you yeah Sayers have brought your CBR into a Dyno Shop right after you bought it, Blown your warranty immediately by having it tested, then installed an aftermarket pipe of your choosing, then Re Dyno'd it,..... YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!

Many of us that have a CBR 250/300 are not looking to scare the cats and wake up the neighbors....Just get from point A to point B efficiently.

Misnomer: Loud pipes do not save lives
Loud pipes will save me from an accident because they can hear me coming.
Loud pipes mean I have a large dick and I'll attract more women.

An Aftermarket Exhaust Pipe is for Pro Racers or fools. Period. Unless you know, Don't Blow.....

Cheers
I think you're being a bit fickle. Dynos don't void warranties, and neither do slip-on exhausts. Loud pipes do indeed give another method of making yourself noticeable, which is invaluable on a motorcycle, regardless as to what it is that accomplishes the task.

People own the motorcycle they buy; they can do as they please to it. I happen to have a Leo Vince slip-on and have been very happy with it. I am neither a pro-racer nor do I consider myself a fool, and I'm sure as hell not going to talk about my genitalia with you. :smile2:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I made my own out of a car muffler. Looked much better and a little lighter. 76Db @ 9500 rpm. Nice and legal too. My old Derbi Gpr hah 98Db @ 8500 :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
I weight 180lbs.. I swapped the stock exhaust for the Carbon fiber yoshimura exhaust + K&N Air filter and I notice good power gains.. its a 23hp engine.. lets get to 24hp gosh..

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I'd pass on the K&N. The system's restriction really isn't in the airbox, and they let way too many small particles through the mesh for my liking.

Reactions: don'tpanic

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just put on an FMF header and Delkevic SS exhaust this morning; still a good weight savings even if though it's not carbon fiber.
...it's definitely louder, but not that much...
guys, it's really all about personal preference just like most everything. I'll still keep my old exhaust if I want to back on.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I just put on an FMF header and Delkevic SS exhaust this morning...I'll still keep my old exhaust if I want to back on.
I would advise keeping the stock system.

I had to remove my 18" Delkevic SS when the rubber bracket insulator melted. I was also not pleased with the way it induced cold stalls and hot stalls off idle. I never felt a lot of benefit from either the weight savings or supposed power gains. I did get tired of being obnoxious in parking lots and the droning while riding.

I did keep my Delkevic SS header pipe. Flows better and looks better than the rusted OEM unit.

241 - 260 of 280 Posts