Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

So what do you think? Is Sarge right, or off his rocker?

• Sarge is spot on! Leave the stock exhaust alone!

Votes: 136 47.9%
  • Sarge is full of crap! Aftermarket is better, so go for it!

Votes: 148 52.1%
281 - 291 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stupid argument. Change the exhaust and air filter and you will have a real bike that is fun to drive and sounds like it should. No SOHC single cylinder bike should sound like the stock version. The EFI corrects itself after about 20 minutes of riding. The low end power suddenly appears. The stock pipe is the most sickening thing I have ever witnessed. Its like cancer! Needs to go!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The CBR250 stock pipe is horrendous. Changing it increases horse power by 5 and a K&N filter gives it another 2. So now you have a real decent small sport bike that sounds bad ass and not like a fart and look like ****.
I'll second the "no".

You are not going to get a total of 7 HP (more than a 25% increase from the stock 24-ish) from a pipe and K&N filter.

If you did do both, you wouldn't get whatever the maximum increase would be without going to a custom fuel map and some dyno time.

Adding a wide open muffler to a single can make it sound worse - not better - kinda like the teenager nextdoor that put a big fart-can on his Civic - "sounds badass man!"

Ya. No.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look, I ride a 2014 CB1100 for real speed but a smaller bike is a lot of fun but more dangerous because of a few reasons you probably already know of. But STOP kidding yourself that you will not increase power, performance and "riding experience" by modifying this little CBR250 just a bit. Trust me on this. I raced a RZ350 back in the day and have owned maybe 30 bikes.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
To each his own. If you think that's Bad Ass that's fine.

BTW, Mr. Racer Guy - are those stock tires on that 2012 CBR?

Seriously.

Did you do a baseline run in stock form before doing a run with your modded bike? If not, you have no idea how much you gained.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To each his own. If you think that's Bad Ass that's fine.

BTW, Mr. Racer Guy - are those stock tires on that 2012 CBR?

Seriously.

Did you do a baseline run in stock form before doing a run with your modded bike? If not, you have no idea how much you gained.
Its a factory baseline compared to now. Simple math. Lets see the video-audio of the stock CBR250

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Its a factory baseline compared to now. Simple math. Lets see the video-audio of the stock CBR250
Factory baseline? That doesn't mean squat.

You need to run the exact same bike on the exact same dyno and compare to know for sure. Did you change the maps? If not you wasted a lot of dyno time.

A stock 250cc single of any kind just isn't going to sound "bad ass" - no matter what exhaust is on it. It is pretty weak stock, but adding an open can just makes it different. A quality muffler with moderate baffling is going to be about as good as you can get. Taking the baffle out can reduce the power, as can a bad muffler.

Don't like good tires in the dry? Huh...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Even at idle it sounds bad ass. Ummm yea, I had a race shop test it and it was pumping 29 horse.

Post a video of your stock piece of **** and lets compare.
uh video doesn't prove anything other than your bike sounds like fart-can. Only real comparison is dyno-charts with objective numbers.

How about actually posting your dyno-charts of before & after mods?
How about some time-slips of your bike before & after fart-can mod?
Or some lap-times around a real racetrack?
How about posting some trophies of you winning something as "racer"?

Tickets for street-racing isn't anything to be proud of. But sure, if that's only documentation you have to prove your bike's badass, post them.

Here's some real numbers and dyno-charts.

HP gains of 1.5hp is more realistic and this is one of highest (another 1-hp gained with ECU re-programming). Look up "Arrow UK" and realise they've been in performance business for longer than you've been alive. Have you heard of Formula-1? Cosworth perhaps? Arrow's been involved with developing +million-dollar$ vehicles. If there's any more power left on the table with exhaust, they've would've gotten it. Nope, 2.5hp is about all you're gonna get with exhaust "upgrade" because OEM systems are extremely fine-tuned nowadays. I'm surprised you'd get even that much.

There's numerous corrections factors that can be applied to dyno-run and most shops will inflate figures to make customers feel good and keep on coming back. Nah, you got taken by dyno-shop. They know a sucker when he walks in door by not doing before & after charts.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
They are not stock but I dont race this. Dont you want tread for the rain? Go ride your moped dude!
I didn't mean you were racing the CBR, you just threw out that you were a racer-dude.

The video you posted showed OEM tires on a 2012 CBR, which, as a racer, I wouldn't expect to be acceptable.

Moped? Strong words from a CBR250R owner - with a fart can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had 2 cbr250rs at the same time; one with stock exhaust and my current with yoshimura exhaust and a fuel management(yoshi pim2). I took both on longer road trips and commuted on them through my city for a few months. Here is my experience:

When I bought the bike with the yoshimura exhaust, it was deafening under high load and because its a small bike it it always under high load. I bought a silencer, it was still too loud but it took the edge off it. The silencer combined with earphones makes the bike tolerable to ride. My stock bike was fine with no ear phones and relaxing to ride.

The stock bike feels more powerful, I could ride it around 6k-8,500rpm quietly with no drama. With the loud exhaust bike, going up a hill at 5K rpm sounds like im redlining the bike at full throttle. As for actual power, the yoshi setup has noticeably more power @ the same RPM but you are always riding at lower rpm to try to reduce noise.

The two biggest advantages of the yoshi setup is the weight savings and the looks. It makes a big difference, this is already a light weight bike, chopping off that extra weight makes the bike feel much more agile. It feels like the weight has come off the back wheel if that makes sense. The stock exhaust isnt bad looking but having an aftermarket exhaust makes the bike look less like a commuter bike and more like a sports bike.

The purpose of the bike should determine if you would like an exhaust or not. If you have a Lamborghini you dont drive it every day because its a pain in the ass to drive, same with the loud exhaust. If you want to go for an enthusiastic bike ride the loud exhaust, weight reduction, slight increase in power is all welcome. If you are commuting on the highway daily it would make the bike worse.

My bike came with the yoshi setup, but if i was to price it out it would be about $1000 canadian. If you sold your cbr250R and spent $1500 more you could get a CRB500R with near double the power and basically the same bike.

281 - 291 of 291 Posts