Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

The sadest thing ever!

7K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  madd-trapper 
#1 ·
I have had my bike almost a month. Close to 800 miles. Walking out to my sexy bike one morning and I almost cried! There I am standing 15 feet away in full riding gear crying. I have to be at work in 30 mins and my rear tire is flat. I had to take the cage to work...

Got back home and found 3 nails and all were in one hole... yeah... I wouldn't have believed it either unless I pulled em out. Got it plugged with a temp plug and its holding air and riding fine.

Any suggestions on what tire to replace it with? Looking at Pirelli - Sport Demon Sport Touring.

#12 ·
It's kind of a waste to put that tire on the back with the road winner up front.

The plug they put in your tire will last longer than the tire. What are you going to do when the new rear gets a nail? Just run out the stock tires until they don't work anymore, then change to the good ones as a set.

If this is your first bike, then you don't need to worry about getting better tires on there, unless you're hard core commuting or riding in the rain.

#13 ·
quick question. do you ride on the shoulder of the road a lot?

If the answer is yes. Don't...

thats usually how you pickup debris in your tyres. except my mate gus, he picked up a 12" screwdriver as it fell off a vehicle in front of him lol...

If you never do, pay more attention to the road in front of you.. There should me more than enough distance between you and the car in front of you to be able to identify hazards on the road surface. potholes, nails, glass, etc...

#14 ·
I'd like to see a rider who can see an 1/32" diameter nail in the road while traveling at 60 mph... That is like telling someone that the only reason that they got into an accident is because they were not paying enough attention while driving. I'm too busy watching the retard pull out in front of me. Too busy watching the edge of the woods for deer/dogs. Too busy watching what is going on ahead of me to pay attention to what is 10 feet in front of me at 60 mph.

Within 10 feet even the great "mootavic" couldn't avoid it at 60mph. If your going 60mph, which is 88 feet per second, and see the black nail on the black asphalt at 20 feet away. You would only have about 0.15 of a second to react and avoid. Normal reaction time is 0.6-1.0 second for the average person, but the great mootavic is such a supior human being, I will assume 0.2 second reaction time, which by the way is 2x faster than the average person can blink. BUT WAIT!!! Even if your brain is processing information at a super human speed, you still wouldn't be able to avoid it.

So to tell someone to pay more attention and they wouldn't ever get a flat tire from a nail is absurd!

According to your own statement, your "mate" gus is a complete idiot for getting a flat from a screwdriver, which by the way is about 4 times longer and the handle is usually 1 1/2" in diameter and usually painted ANY color but black. The fact that it fell off the truck in front of him makes it even worse! Why was he following so close as not to be able to avoid it?

It boils down to stuff happens and you can not avoid some objects. So before you pass judgement on my motoring skill level, you might wanna rethink your own skill level. People surround themselves with others of the same basic type. If your friend drives like you suggested, then chances are so do you. So take your own advice.

MAY MORE ATTENTION AND YOU WONT RUN OVER ANYTHING AND NEVER HAVE AN ACCIDENT!

#17 ·
I'd like to see a rider who can see an 1/32" diameter nail in the road while traveling at 60 mph... That is like telling someone that the only reason that they got into an accident is because they were not paying enough attention while driving. I'm too busy watching the retard pull out in front of me. Too busy watching the edge of the woods for deer/dogs. Too busy watching what is going on ahead of me to pay attention to what is 10 feet in front of me at 60 mph.

Within 10 feet even the great "mootavic" couldn't avoid it at 60mph. If your going 60mph, which is 88 feet per second, and see the black nail on the black asphalt at 20 feet away. You would only have about 0.15 of a second to react and avoid. Normal reaction time is 0.6-1.0 second for the average person, but the great mootavic is such a supior human being, I will assume 0.2 second reaction time, which by the way is 2x faster than the average person can blink. BUT WAIT!!! Even if your brain is processing information at a super human speed, you still wouldn't be able to avoid it.

So to tell someone to pay more attention and they wouldn't ever get a flat tire from a nail is absurd!

According to your own statement, your "mate" gus is a complete idiot for getting a flat from a screwdriver, which by the way is about 4 times longer and the handle is usually 1 1/2" in diameter and usually painted ANY color but black. The fact that it fell off the truck in front of him makes it even worse! Why was he following so close as not to be able to avoid it?

It boils down to stuff happens and you can not avoid some objects. So before you pass judgement on my motoring skill level, you might wanna rethink your own skill level. People surround themselves with others of the same basic type. If your friend drives like you suggested, then chances are so do you. So take your own advice.

MAY MORE ATTENTION AND YOU WONT RUN
OVER ANYTHING AND NEVER HAVE AN ACCIDENT!
I think he was mainly stressing not to ride on the shoulder where lots of debris end up. Some states/countries you can pass on the shoulder on a bike.
He also probaly figured that if your ended up with 3 nails in the same hole they werent separate nails on the road. They were possibly all three stuck in a piece of wood or something that maybe you ran over?

#21 ·
Several friends who ride a lot like the Michelin Street Pilot 2 - has a harder compund in the middle for those miles on the highway plus a softer sompund on the sides for cornering. It's supposed to ride quiet and work well in the rain.

30-second search sez Motorcycle Superstore.com has a 150/70-17 (the CBR rear is 140/70-17 but several people say the 150 will work with no issues) for $143. Don't know where you are, but if there's a CycleGear store nearby they have a similar price and will mount it for you. If you don't feel comfortable pulling the wheel, you'll need to see what the dealer can/wll get.

By the way, if the hole is small I would not hesitate to hot-patch the inside and keep rolling....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.