Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you but i am no a big fan of ethanol period..now we are about to get even more of the corn stuff in our gas.

quoting a news source

"E15 ethanol’s long regulatory struggled passed another hurdle Monday when the Environmental Protection Agency registered the biofuel for use.

The 15 percent blend of ethanol already had passed federal health regulations. The action Monday was seen as a major step toward getting E15 into motor automobile tanks "these first approvals are a clear indication that fuel producers understand that America’s motorists want a choice when they fill their gas tanks,” said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.

“The industry also knows that higher biofuel blends are good for their bottom line, will support rural economies, and hold down fuel costs overall while giving consumers greater access to renewable, homegrown fuel.”

Tom Buis of Growth Energy, an ethanol advocacy group, noted that ethanol currently is selling for $1 per gallon cheaper than unleaded gasoline, and added “with $4 a gallon gasoline on the horizon, we’d encourage all Americans to ask their local filling station how soon they will see more-affordable E15.”

·
Registered
282 Posts
no not a big fan myself, I don't use it in the CBR, but I do in my old Hilux ute. As long as everything is labeled properly so people know what they're paying for, all good.

Fuel $1.60 per Ltr here in Syd. today, at $4 a gallon you guys in the US are still doing alright. (4.5ltr to a gallon iirc)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no not a big fan myself, I don't use it in the CBR, but I do in my old Hilux ute. As long as everything is labeled properly so people know what they're paying for, all good.

Fuel $1.60 per Ltr here in Syd. today, at $4 a gallon you guys in the US are still doing alright. (4.5ltr to a gallon iirc)
I think we only have a 30 cents a gallon of gasoline federal tax..thats why $4 a gallon sounds good to you...all you non US guys are taxed by your local,state,federal goverments out the wazzu per litre, per gallon aren't you?....

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
US gallon is 3.7859 litres.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Regardless of mathematics, this **** is too expensive. Especially when mixed with all of the other BS taxes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just wish I could get 91 with no ethanol here in CA. I like a nice hydrophobic liquid in my gas tank. Water sucks...

·
Registered
532 Posts
"these first approvals are a clear indication that fuel producers understand that America’s motorists want a choice when they fill their gas tanks,” said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.
I laugh when I read things like that...choice? If there were a choice I could get gas with or without ethanol in it, but sadly that seems to almost no longer be the case here (only select Shell stations still put no ethanol in their gas, and typically they only keep it out of their 91 octane VPower, not the reg blends).

Kinda reminds me of a quote from Top Gear a while back -- "you can get your new car (can't remember brand) in any colour of the rainbow...so long as it is black, grey, or white".

·
Registered
172 Posts
Two stations here within 50 miles have E0 91 octane. I take the car when I have another reason to make the trip and carry [email protected] gallon gas cans with me. Last time it was $77 at just over $4 a gallon. The CBR's mileage jumped up 8 MPG the first time I used the E0 fuel in February. 420.2 miles on 5 gallons. My Vulcan 500 got 64 MPG, right at 320 miles on 5 gallons. The car is averaging 45 MPG (2011 Fiesta). In most cases the fuel lasts me over a month on average. Filling everything up from empty would take 27 gallons of fuel and be good for 1400 miles or more depending on how much of it went in the bikes. The CBR could make it 1260 miles on the [email protected] gallon cans and the car could get close to 500 on a full tank of 12 gallons. Total that way would be 1760 miles. 27 gallons at $4 each would be $108 for 1760 miles, $.0613 (US) per mile.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think we only have a 30 cents a gallon of gasoline federal tax..thats why $4 a gallon sounds good to you...all you non US guys are taxed by your local,state,federal goverments out the wazzu per litre, per gallon aren't you?....
Correct!!! We're paying $1.42 a litre today which is something like $5.50 a gallon and a large part of it is municipal, provincial, and federal taxes. That's in Canada where we have an abundance of resources including petroleum reserves.

·
Registered
706 Posts
E85 FTW, end of story. Show me another pump gas that can bring my car from 318hp to almost 400 without any added mods other then the fuel conversion? Do not confuse this with flex fuel cars just FYI because those are shitty.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kinda reminds me of a quote from Top Gear a while back -- "you can get your new car (can't remember brand) in any colour of the rainbow...so long as it is black, grey, or white".
“Any customer can have a Model T painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.” Henry Ford, 1909 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
282 Posts

Well, yes and no. We have federal Gov. excise of about $0.38 per ltr, which also used to be indexed with inflation, but they stopped the indexing and added a 10% goods and services tax (GST). No state or local charges.
LPG is the one fuel that has no excise added, I assume because it's the one fuel we in Aus produce plenty of.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've read other articles in the local paper when that was first brought up. The thing with that is even if it passed, it would be YEARS before it even began to be implemented. Most cars can't handle above E10 and for the one's that could you would have to have a whole seperate tank just for the E15 and seperate pump for it which would cost gas stations a lot of capital right there so most wouldn't implement it until it became standard for cars to accept it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We pay around $4.20 in California right now but then some people don't consider us part of the US :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
This stuff makes me so angry at the stupidity in our government. First they mandate off the wall fuel efficiency increases for the auto manufacturers and then we introduce ethanol which is a much less efficient fuel in to the tanks which in effect washes out any increase in fuel efficiency that was achieved by the mandates! All the while we end up having to pay more for both AUTOs and GAS... These people are dumber than a bag of hammers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts