Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Does your CBR250 ping/detonate using the specified regular octane fuel?

• 2011 model year

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • 2012 model year

Votes: 5 31.3%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do not click a model year above unless your answer is "Yes, my bike pings." I could not find a way to edit the poll to make the options clearer, or to delete the thread and start over. So, as it stands, this poll is rather toothless, unless someone can offer a suggestion how I can edit it, or remove it and start over.

When I had my bike in the dealer to pursue the rattle, a service guy mentioned that the bike needs to be run on premium fuel. I expressed confusion, as one of the nice things about the bike is it is specified to run on 87 octane. This was in the winter, when temps were no higher than 60 degrees F here. Now, fast forward.

A couple weeks ago I had the bike out on a nice mild day, maybe mid-70's F. I wasn't riding hard at all, but when I came down do speeds around 10-20 MPH just putting along under easy throttle, the bike was pinging non-stop. Not "gonna melt a piston" pinging, but mild. And no, it is not the rattle I have. If I let off the throttle or nailed it, the pinging went away. This really concerns me, since this summer the bike will be seeing 90+ degrees F, and I am worried how this bike will act if it's pinging already when it is merely mild outside. I wonder if some of the remapping mentioned for the 2012's, which Honda claims was to increase fuel mileage, might also have addressed this issue, or even others. On top of the rattle, having to possibly run premium in a bike certied to run fine on regular is really going to tick me off, and takes even more of the charm out of owning this new bike. Has anybody else heard there engine pinging or detonating under easy throttle?

·
Registered
611 Posts
More Info.

A couple weeks ago I had the bike out on a nice mild day, maybe mid-70's F. I wasn't riding hard at all, but when I came down to speeds around 10-20 MPH just putting along under easy throttle, the bike was pinging non-stop.
What gear was the transmission in ? What was the engine's RPMs ?

Hqve you filled the gas tank recently ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Weird. I run 87 in my 2011, no problem at all. Even at 90+ degrees. Can't remember if I rode it in triple digits or not last year. Probably did. I don't ride it very much, being it's my wife's bike, but I did put 1000 miles or so on it with no problems.

I'd run some premium in it and see if it makes the difference, or if it's something else..

·
Registered
878 Posts
Your bike shouldn't ping on regular fuel. Imagine the quality of fuel that must get put into these bikes in some of the places they're sold. Mine has never pinged and I use regular. Oh, mine's a 2011.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Min. Octane required is 86. Anything above would be considered "premium". My dealer laughed at me when I asked if I should be filling with 93.

2011 here

·
Registered
501 Posts
I usually stick to 2 gas stations in my area. Others seem to have question gas quality. I run recommended 87 for my area. Find a good gas station & stick to it. works for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I run 91... but, only because it's supposed to be ethanol free, otherwise I'd use 87 (but, who really knows). Broke it in hard. No pinging.

·
Registered
78 Posts
premium only for the detergent effect of the high qualoty top teir fuels, but a 10:1 engine isnt gonna ping unless u got some really bad fuel

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Yes. Pinging with 91 benzine or gasohol (with ethanol) and sometimes with 95 benzine or gasohol. In a very hot Thailand.

I wonder if some of the remapping mentioned for the 2012's, which Honda claims was to increase fuel mileage,
What's this about? More please.

·
Registered
167 Posts
me using
91octane xtra premium petrol.
No pinging.

My friend who once filled reliance petroleum 87octane petrol got heavy ping and black smoke.he had to drain it out completely and use shell advane 93octane once to completely remove it.
Now he using xtra premium 91octane

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Redline, are you using mostly 91 or 95?
I chop and change. I usually go for Benzine 91 about 75% of the time, but the 25% of the time will get a tank of gasohol 91 or 95. The odd time will fill up with Benzine 95 if I'm at a Caltex that has it.

I don't pay too much attention to it really.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What gear was the transmission in ? What was the engine's RPMs ?

Have you filled the gas tank recently ?
First and second gear. Around 4K RPM. Tank filled 30 miles earlier. When it was pinging, I didn't linger there; if I got it into higher RPM, it went away, but it was most definitely pinging.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Can it be Reproduced ?

First and second gear. Around 4K RPM. Tank filled 30 miles earlier. When it was pinging, I didn't linger there; if I got it into higher RPM, it went away, but it was most definitely pinging.
First thing that comes to mind. Below 87 octane gas. Can you reproduce the pinging ? If Yes. Drain and refill the gas tank, or avoid the operating conditions till your next fill up.

I don't know about the cbr's ECM programing. But in the GM systems that Cadillac uses. During a drive cycle. The ECM performs many Tests on the sensors that it monitors.

One of the Test includes the O2 sensor(s). The ECM will control the air/fuel mixture between Rich and Lean. This is a calibrated test to check the operating Tolerance of the O2 sensor.

If the engine is equipped with a Knock Sensor. The Knock Sensor is also monitored for proper operation during this Test.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
No pinging here in 40 degree celsius heat bouncing off the rev limiter all day long running standard 91ron BP fuel.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts