Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Yoshimura TRC slip on exhaust for the CBR250R (see pic below). Before I ordered it I e-mailed Yoshimura wanting some Db specs and thought I would share my finding with anyone else thinking about this pipe. Here is what I emailed and their response:

Me:"I was interested in the 2011 Honda CBR250r TRCStainless/Stainless Slip-On and I was wondering what the decibel levelof the pipe is. Also, is their a silencer that will work with this pipe?I want it mostly for performance and looks but I don't wanna beobnoxiously loud."

Response from Yoshimura: "According to MIC test standards: OEM- 76.1 dBA, Yoshi w/o Insert- 96.8dBA, Yoshi w/ Insert- 88.5 dBA. According to AMA test standards: OEM-88.3 dBA, Yoshi w/o Insert- 102.0 dBA, Yoshi w/ Insert- 99.6 dBA.A low volume insert is included with the slip-on (part number TRC-INS-K). No other insert is available for this specific application."

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's been known for a while that it comes with a silencer insert... Myself, along with more than a few others have debated on here about whether to put it in or not.

I haven't

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it was news to me =] Plus noone that i know of had posted the db's straight from the horses mouth.

·
Registered
210 Posts
SAE dB test is at 2000RPM! (insane)

I just bought the Yoshimura TRC slip on exhaust for the CBR250R (see pic below). Before I ordered it I e-mailed Yoshimura wanting some Db specs and thought I would share my finding with anyone else thinking about this pipe. Here is what I emailed and their response:

Me:"I was interested in the 2011 Honda CBR250r TRCStainless/Stainless Slip-On and I was wondering what the decibel levelof the pipe is. Also, is their a silencer that will work with this pipe?I want it mostly for performance and looks but I don't wanna beobnoxiously loud."

Response from Yoshimura: "According to MIC test standards: OEM- 76.1 dBA, Yoshi w/o Insert- 96.8dBA, Yoshi w/ Insert- 88.5 dBA. According to AMA test standards: OEM-88.3 dBA, Yoshi w/o Insert- 102.0 dBA, Yoshi w/ Insert- 99.6 dBA.A low volume insert is included with the slip-on (part number TRC-INS-K). No other insert is available for this specific application."

I just read SAE J2825 to find out what the test conditions are for exhaust levels. Unbelievably, the test is done at 2000RPM! This is just crazy. If these car weenies had talked to a bike rider before writing the standard they would learn that bikes can rev much higher than cars, and make much more noise near PEAK power and torque.
The standard is a joke, and not representative of operational bike sound levels. In other words, a "88 dB" exhaust will be MUCH louder at peak RPM, maybe obnoxiously so.

Here's an extract:

6.3.2 Engine Speed for Set RPM and Swept RPM Tests
TABLE 1 - ENGINE SPEED FOR SET RPM AND SWEPT RPM TESTS AS A FUNCTION OF ENGINE CONFIGURATION
Engine Configuration Engine Speed
Less than 3 cylinders or more than 4: 2000 rpm (±200 rpm), or 75% of maximum engine speed, whichever is less
Engines with 3 or 4 cylinders: 5000 rpm (±200 rpm), or 75% of maximum engine speed, whichever is less

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was def glad to see some db #'s... I'm one of the (few) who thinks the Yoshi isn't too loud though
I tried with and without the silencer. Def like it with the silencer... and for this reason (results may vary due to environment): The silencer not only reduced the volume a little bit, but it also got rid of the some of the dirtbike overtones and tinny sound. Sounds more sporty now. I do most of my driving in urban settings through about 5 medium sized towns on the way to and from work. I noticed a i get a lot of sound reflection off buildings and parked cars. The sound reflection w/o the silencer sounded nasty. Like a loud buzzy moped sound. The silencer def improves the sound in smaller environments. The reflection tones sound more low and throaty. But this is all subjective and everyone has their likes and tastes. I'm partial to a growling muffler as apposed to a buzzy one.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I don't think it's too loud and I have the yoshi trc carbon exhaust full system. My sporty had stage one screaming eagle on it and that was definately louder than the yoshi

·
Registered
879 Posts
Love the looks of the YOSH. I have the SS slip on and it was to loud when I got it but its been modified and sounds better now

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the looks of the YOSH. I have the SS slip on and it was to loud when I got it but its been modified and sounds better now
modified how?

·
Registered
21 Posts
No Silencer insert with my TRC Pipe.

I just got my Carbon TRC Yoshi pipe on Friday and installed it yesterday and it did not come with the silencer insert. It says that it was supposed to be included but it was not in the box. I will call my Dealer on Monday, along with Yoshimura to discuss.

I definitely feel that it is a bit loud, and feel that if the insert can drop it by up to 10dB's as the wegpage suggests, that that would be about right. Looks great and fits great too! Easy installation also!

Phil

·
Registered
21 Posts
PhoenixWithin,

You shouldn't need a drill to install. On my carbon TRC, there is a pre-punched slug, just waiting to be punched out, and a rubber plug in the carbon shell. Pull the plug, use a drift to knock out the plug, slide in the insert and screw it in, and then reinstall the rubber plug. Or at least that is what I am thinking, seeing that I didn't get the silencer insert with my pipe. Can you post a picture of it?

Thanks, Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got my Carbon TRC Yoshi pipe on Friday and installed it yesterday and it did not come with the silencer insert. It says that it was supposed to be included but it was not in the box. I will call my Dealer on Monday, along with Yoshimura to discuss.

I definitely feel that it is a bit loud, and feel that if the insert can drop it by up to 10dB's as the wegpage suggests, that that would be about right. Looks great and fits great too! Easy installation also!

Phil
Sounds like who ever sold it to you might have jacked it. Any sign the box was opened. Mine was sealed like a safe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mongoose,

No way. I have been doing business with my Dealer for a long time and they would never do that to me. The box was Factory Sealed. It was made in July of this year, so maybe I am thinking that it just wasn't included. In any event, I am sure that I will not have any trouble getting one to replace it.

Just got back from a quick blast and I have to say that it definitely revs better and runs superbly! I also refilled the tank for the 1st time and got 61 mpg, which I feel is pretty good considering how I have been riding the bike! :)

Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mongoose,

No way. I have been doing business with my Dealer for a long time and they would never do that to me. The box was Factory Sealed. It was made in July of this year, so maybe I am thinking that it just wasn't included. In any event, I am sure that I will not have any trouble getting one to replace it.

Just got back from a quick blast and I have to say that it definitely revs better and runs superbly! I also refilled the tank for the 1st time and got 61 mpg, which I feel is pretty good considering how I have been riding the bike! :)

Thanks, Phil
Thats good that you have a established rapport with your dealer. Weird still cause I just got mine 3 weeks ago and it came with the muffler, heat shield, pipe, stickers, and brackets. Maybe they forget it (at the factory):confused:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I need to break out the drill and install the insert judging by what Mongoose is saying!
that little piece should pop right out. no need for a drill. look at the pic phactory posted. i just used a flat head and lifted it enough to grab it with some pliers and it popped right off. The silencer does go in kinda hard so just run the bike with it off, then (while still running) just tap it in the end a little bit before going all the way in before you commit to using the silencer. I would imagine it's a pain the the arse to remove.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mongoose,

That's what I am thinking. When was yours made? It is stamped right on the box.

Yes my Dealer is Bettencourts in West Bridgewater, Mass. They have been around for a LONG TIME and are a GREAT Dealership!! They are like Honda Dealer #86 and they were the very FIRST Suzuki Dealer in the Country!!

Phil

Thats good that you have a established rapport with your dealer. Weird still cause I just got mine 3 weeks ago and it came with the muffler, heat shield, pipe, stickers, and brackets. Maybe they forget it (at the factory):confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine wasn't punched enough to pop it out, already tried with a flat-head, and a pin and hammer... Gotta break out the drill :(

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mongoose,

That's what I am thinking. When was yours made? It is stamped right on the box.

Yes my Dealer is Bettencourts in West Bridgewater, Mass. They have been around for a LONG TIME and are a GREAT Dealership!! They are like Honda Dealer #86 and they were the very FIRST Suzuki Dealer in the Country!!

Phil
Sorry bro... I recycled the box weeks ago. I would imagine all these Yoshi's were made this summer since they are all specific to this bike. I would contact Yoshi to see about getting a replacement.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts