Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my twofiddy. Im a firm believer that the fun is riding a slow bike fast.
Im missing the pull of a bigger bike though. I don't care about going 140, IM totally happy at 85. Getting there as fast as i can though is what im missing. So Im thinking im going to start looking for a CBR 6000RR. Right now the plan is to somehow keep them both and just add big sister but its going to come down to this insurance quote i just requested. We will see. If its expensive I'll probably be selling my 250 and moving on up the food chain. Anyone have experience? Ive meet a few guys that say they never looked back and others that have said once they sold the 250 they regretted it and just wanted it back.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I live in the US and got an immediate quote online just to check what I would pay for a 2011 CBR600RR. It came back at about $500 which is twice what the my insurance is on the CBR250.

Note, I'm almost 68, live in the sticks and have a clean record.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
C'mon Hopmix I'm looking forward to your devopment of your 250 and sharing it with us... you info is straight up and informative.
Modern 600's & 1000's are so good at everything they're almost boring on the road at anything under 100mph... Thats why milking the 250 for all its got is such fun, teaches us to be smooth as well.... hell even I tuck above 90mph (but dont tell sendler)

So yes.. have both , enjoy :)
You guys in the US get 600's for 11k new I heard?.. 16k here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A few years back I thought about getting my first motorcycle. The only thing that stopped me was the fact I never rode one and could not get it home that day. The bike I almost got was a gsxr 600, and it was 5800 out the door new. That was in 2003ish or around there. I was shocked when I went looking at bikes this time around. I was there to look at the 250, but I wanted to look at some bigger bikes as well since I was not yet sold 100% on the CBR. I saw how much more expensive the 600 was I was blown away. Quote out the door was 2 times what it was 8-9 years ago.

Down the road, I may want a bigger bike, but for now, I have no clue what I am missing and am having a fun time on my 250.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have a CBR 250, A yamaha 600, and a yamaha 1300. I love them all, but the 600 is my favorite. The 250 is slow and under powered ( for me ) the 1300 is big and heavy but good for touring. The 600 just does everything vary well. It handles well has great power. And you can run the big road all day easily.

·
Registered
724 Posts
What year 600rr are you thinking about ? If its new its hell of expensive. I'm sure the dealer will gave you some TLC if youre thinking of getting that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
How did you make it to 68 with a clean record? :confused: (I'm 66.)
r100, it's all in the insurance company's decision to only look at the last 3 years.

Relentless use of a good radar detector, only taking speeding risks when I stack the deck in my favor and not having a fast car nor any road motorcycle until very recently has kept me has kept me clean for those 3 years.

My record may not last because my favorite full-of-fun-turns road for the CBR250 is cursed with the combo of miles long stretches of double-yellow lines and annoyingly cautious drivers. At 68 my tolerance for wasting precious riding time behaving behind rolling roadblocks is very low.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Whatever you do don't buy collision insurance. It's the most expensive component and it's nearly impossible to come out ahead with it unless you total your bike on the way home from the dealer.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha insurance came back 140 more a year then my 250. Im looking at a 07 plus CBR 600's. So as of now ill be keeping both bikes. I didn't realize the 250 is the same curb weight as the 600rr. That amazes me. Anyway, I found a few good deals and just trying to work one out. Hopefully soon so i can squeeze in these last 2 weeks of southern riding weather!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What year 600rr are you thinking about ? If its new its hell of expensive. I'm sure the dealer will gave you some TLC if youre thinking of getting that.
your from west coast.. don't you mean Hella expensive. :). Yeah Im paying cash and own the bikes so i just to the state minimum and add theft coverage. Its not too bad.

·
Registered
529 Posts
haha insurance came back 140 more a year then my 250. Im looking at a 07 plus CBR 600's. So as of now ill be keeping both bikes. I didn't realize the 250 is the same curb weight as the 600rr. That amazes me. Anyway, I found a few good deals and just trying to work one out. Hopefully soon so i can squeeze in these last 2 weeks of southern riding weather!
Hi HoPMiX - where did you get the weight information? The wet weights are: CBR250R (359lbs without ABS, 367lbs with ABS). The 2007 CBR600RR (412 lbs). So the difference is more like 40-50 lbs. Still - the CBR600RR is a beautiful bike. Did you consider a 2011 KTM Duke 690? Lightweight (about 50lbs less than a 600RR) about 70 hp, great torque, much better fuel-economy than the 600RR, cheaper insurance, easier to work on, etc.

If Honda came out with a CBR600RR that was equal in weight to the CBR250R and achieved equal (or better) fuel economy - I would consider buying one. As it stands - if I am going to pay twice as much for a motorcycle than the CBR250R, the bike better be more impressive in every conceivable category that is important to me, not just power. Otherwise - it's just not worth the drawbacks for me. Right now, the CBR250R just hits the best balance of power vs. fuel-economy vs. ease of maintenance, vs. affordable servicing, vs. cheap insurance, vs. fun - for me.

Mike

·
Registered
879 Posts
You would love the 600 and if you could keep the baby CBR that would be even better. Its great having a few different bikes around to ride. There all fun

·
Registered
999 Posts
My .$.02
If possible keep the 250 as the 600RR's stable mate.
By now you know what a great everyday bike the 250 is. It's small size and ridiculous light weight make it the perfect bike to jump on when you just need to pop over to the store really quick.

Then when you have the need for speed the 600 will be chomping at the bit for ya.

In other words: If you have the means, why settle for one or the other? Have both :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi HoPMiX - where did you get the weight information? The wet weights are: CBR250R (359lbs without ABS, 367lbs with ABS). The 2007 CBR600RR (412 lbs). So the difference is more like 40-50 lbs. Still - the CBR600RR is a beautiful bike. Did you consider a 2011 KTM Duke 690? Lightweight (about 50lbs less than a 600RR) about 70 hp, great torque, much better fuel-economy than the 600RR, cheaper insurance, easier to work on, etc.

Mike
yeah the 250r only list curb weight. I was looking at dry weight of the 600. 347. Hard to believe gas oil and coolant add 60 pounds. wow.
I would love to have a 690. Its more of a street fighter type bike and I am def looking for a sport bike that can come out of a corner hard and fast with sport bike performance.
The differences between the cbr 250 and the 600 are pretty significant. I just don't know if if its possible to get 100 HP out of a engine and get 75 to the gallon.
Im looking at used. Im finding 07 600rr's with less than 8k miles for around 5000-5500. Used motorcycles in the off season is the only way to buy.
I have 5500 in my cbr 250r now and am pushing about 25 hp and getting around mid 50's in gas milage. Fuel box changes the bike completely.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha!! as of now i have enough to keep both bikes. Insurance i pay monthly so not real significant cost increase. Maintenance may be a different thing. But they are both Hondas so Im expecting the reliability to be the same.
However there is one problem. She is a 5'8 115 pounds Latina named Abril. She has no idea Im about to bring home another motorcycle. Gonna buy one and just park it next to the 250 and let her figure it out on her own. "look babes, I bought us a new bike!"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Even with my wife's approval to get this thing. I came home last night and told her I depostied money to hold the bike til Friday, and I slept on the couch in the basement... lol. Careful man.

·
Registered
269 Posts
there's nothing not to love about the 600rr. when mine got stolen all i wanted was another one exactly like it. i would keep both if possible. i'm probably gonna pick up another 600 or 1000 for the street next season and if i can afford to i'll keep the 250 just for putting around town. but i definitely miss having the power of a bigger bike on the streets

·
Registered
100 Posts
I must admit i am starting to think of upsizing as well. I have 6000 km on my 250, but the price and HP jump up to the 600 rr is significant. Honda makes many bikes that they don't import to Canada/US, such as the CBR 600 F, a sporting cousin of the RR, but more street than track oriented. For those of you interested, go to the UK site of honda. Its received rave reviews in the UK. If they imported it into canada i would have a serious look at it. For now though, i'll keep riding the 250 as it is really all i need for now. with any luck i'll get a couple more rides in this weekend before the winter weather finally gets established. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
@HoPMiX

Can you please check your PMs? Please and thank you!

As for the switch to a 600RR, /agree on you looking for a used one. Hopefully, you can keep both as I agree with other posters. I look forward to seeing your posts on the development of your 250, and almost all of what I want to do is in the same direction that you've already taken.

Also, since you have the Bazzaz unit installed and tuned, I'd like to ask which two fuel maps do you have installed (and do you have the on-the-fly map switch installed)? Wouldn't it be possible to have a stock-ish fuel map for everyday / commuting / fuel economy riding, and then the 2nd tuned higher power / higher AFR map for some power when you hit the twisties?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts