Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post on here!

To tell a lil' about myself, I'm a fledgling commuting graduate student. I just started riding about 7 months ago on a Suzuki GZ250, which was my first and is, my current bike for the moment. The only thing I don't like about the bike is it's lack of power. It just doesn't have the get up and go I would feel more comfortable with in the traffic I drive in.

I wanted to stay with the 250 class for fuel economy and insurance reasons because that is why I purchased the bike in the first place. So anyone who has ridden a GZ250 in the past, could you comment on how the power and driveability compares to the CBR250r? On paper, it looks like the honda has about 6 more hp and 4 more ft. lbs. of torque, not to mention fuel injection :) I looked at the CBR for about 4 months now, but no local dealers had any. Finally found someone nearby who upgraded to a 600 and wanted to sell the CBR for only what he remained owing on it. So I can pick this bike up for around $3000, with only 750 miles on the clock. What do you guys think? A worthy upgrade worth the extra 3k, or stick with my anemic GZ250? I'm never planning on getting a bigger bike, as 250's seem to fit all my needs.

Thanks in advance! Comments and suggestions welcome (besides "get a bigger bike")! :D

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I'm sure I won't regret it. It looks like an awesome bike. I've read all the reviews and watched all the test videos, but nothing compares to riding the bike firsthand. My dealer around here won't allow test rides for whatever reason, I guess insurance costs.

Unfortunately, because of that, my little GZ is the only thing I've ever ridden. So have you by chance ridden a GZ and can compare it for me? It would suck to drop 3k on a bike and drive it away, realizing "Oh crap, it really doesn't have much more power than the one I had before, I just wasted 2 years of plasma donations..." :p

·
Registered
529 Posts
There must be someone on here who has owned a GZ250 and currently owns a CBR250R. In the meantime, here are some figures from MCN that enable one to compare both bikes (in an admitedly rudimentary fashion).

...............2011 Honda CBR250R..............1999 Suzuki GZ250

0-60mph...............8.7secs...........................12.64secs
1/4 mile..............16.6secs...........................17.96secs
Top speed............94mph..............................78mph

There are a lot of variables that aren't controlled for in this comparison - so take it for what it is. But at least the evidence presented suggests the CBR250R would provide a step up in performance compared to the GZ250.

Mike

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike! There actually is someone on this forum who had a GZ and upgraded to a CBR250r, his screen name was ruxpin78. I sent him a PM about a month ago and never heard back, but according to his profile he hasn't been on this forum since November. From what I could gather, he had no issues riding two up with his wife on the interstate. That's pretty much evidence enough for me. Unfortunately he didn't provide any other details outlining the performance difference.

I'm sure others are wondering the same thing I am. I'm also a member of GZ250bike.net forum, and this bike is an inexpensive bike with similar fuel economy, so I'm sure others are wondering if it would be a worthy investment. To be honest, I just wanted someone to push me over the edge so I can buy a new toy.... :D:D:D:D I don't have one yet, but I already love this bike!

·
Registered
414 Posts
this bike is so fun to ride. any chance that the seller will let you take it out for a test drive?
I wouldn't buy a bike without a test drive which is how i ended up with the cbr250r instead of a ninja 636.
If you want it go for it! this bike is a brilliant commuter and again i must say so fun to ride. it loves corners and handles so well. you said a 250 fits all your needs, well this is the best 250 on the market so go snap it up!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
What is a GZ250?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, the seller is a really nice guy. I didn't want to ride it because I had never been on a sport bike and I was afraid I would drop it. But he insisted I ride it before I bought it, so I did. From what I could gather, I loved it. But it was on a small, flat, side street that I only got up to about 30 mph on before I slowed down. From what I could tell, it had more pep than my lil' GZ, but I couldn't go fast enough to get to top gear to really tell a difference. I think I'm just going to go for it, it seems awesome and if I hate it (which I doubt I will) I can sell it over the summer without a loss, or very minimal loss. Although, I believe in the end it will be the GZ that goes...:)

this bike is so fun to ride. any chance that the seller will let you take it out for a test drive?
I wouldn't buy a bike without a test drive which is how i ended up with the cbr250r instead of a ninja 636.
If you want it go for it! this bike is a brilliant commuter and again i must say so fun to ride. it loves corners and handles so well. you said a 250 fits all your needs, well this is the best 250 on the market so go snap it up!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bought it!

Hey guys, update time! I bought it, and I love it, just like you guys said. Have to wait on the title to get mailed to me before I can tag it. :mad:

Thanks for all the replies! I'll have pics up soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi guys, first post on here!

To tell a lil' about myself, I'm a fledgling commuting graduate student. I just started riding about 7 months ago on a Suzuki GZ250, which was my first and is, my current bike for the moment. The only thing I don't like about the bike is it's lack of power. It just doesn't have the get up and go I would feel more comfortable with in the traffic I drive in.

I wanted to stay with the 250 class for fuel economy and insurance reasons because that is why I purchased the bike in the first place. So anyone who has ridden a GZ250 in the past, could you comment on how the power and driveability compares to the CBR250r? On paper, it looks like the honda has about 6 more hp and 4 more ft. lbs. of torque, not to mention fuel injection :) I looked at the CBR for about 4 months now, but no local dealers had any. Finally found someone nearby who upgraded to a 600 and wanted to sell the CBR for only what he remained owing on it. So I can pick this bike up for around $3000, with only 750 miles on the clock. What do you guys think? A worthy upgrade worth the extra 3k, or stick with my anemic GZ250? I'm never planning on getting a bigger bike, as 250's seem to fit all my needs.

Thanks in advance! Comments and suggestions welcome (besides "get a bigger bike")! :D
the gz250 is more comfortable, the power on the gz seems good up to 45-55, after that is a dog, i rode one on the motorcycle course...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
where are you? are you selling the gz?
Yes I am. I am in the Charlotte region of North Carolina. It's on Craigslist right now, just go to the Charlotte craigslist and search "GZ250". It's the black 2007.

Why, got someone interested in a purchase? :D

Power on the GZ for me is actually quite nice now, after break-in it seemed to gain about 5 hp. Not sure if it's true, but it sure pulls up hills like a tractor now. Not very quick to get to 60, but it will do the job fine. If I hadn't had already sealed the deal with this other guy selling his CBR, I probably would have just stuck with it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I learned to ride on a Nighthawk 250 and I think you'll really like the CBR. No comparison in performance.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Can't wait to hear a more thorough review of the CBR250R once you start riding it. It will be interesting to hear how you feel it compares with the GZ.

Mike

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will be absolutely sure to post up a review and comparison. Probably be a little while though, I have to do the first scheduled service, and get the tag, title, and registration done, and sell my other bike. NC doesn't make it easy to purchase a vehicle. I guess it's an easy way to really make you think about what your doing before getting suckered in...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey guys, update time! I bought it, and I love it, just like you guys said. Have to wait on the title to get mailed to me before I can tag it. :mad:

Thanks for all the replies! I'll have pics up soon.
That's great, cbrlocal. You will have to post some comparisons between the GZ and CBR.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts