Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at the way this whole bike is shaped. the fairigs direct air away from the engine out the side ports, the low pressure zone directly under the tail... I just dont see how this air box can get ANY air. this explains to me WHY its so difficult for this engine to go from 8500-redline in anything past 3rd gear. Im going to pull the tank up tommorrow and see if its possible to make a ram air tube from the front under the tank to the back. im not sure if it is, but i hope there is some room under there. anyways, has anyone tried cutting the plastic down on the right side of the battery box? not the fairing cover but the peice directly behind it. that might help a little... any thoughts??

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Ram air might just work over 270kph.. but thats still debatable.

The airbox is best pulling from static air.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was looking at my airbox. If you look above the filter. There is a screen with large holes & one above it in really small square mesh. I cant believe it take that much to keep from having filter sucked in to motor. Looks like screen with larger holes there is alot of metal between holes blocking air flow. maybe modify?

·
Registered
175 Posts
maybe installing a good performance air filter might help?
But, directing air flow to air box is a good idea.
Still, is it necessary, i am not sure.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Ram air might just work over 270kph.. but thats still debatable.

The airbox is best pulling from static air.
Look! Aufitt and I agree on something!

Ram Air only provides minimal performance increases at hyper speeds. I've heard maybe something like 3% at 160 MPH or so. Drawing cold air, not heated by the engine, will give you more power if you can adjust for it.

For the CBR, adding Ram Air isn't going to get you any amount of performance increase. Smooth incoming flow to the airbox is more important as long as the inlet doesn't restrict the flow.

Jay

·
Registered
455 Posts
I ran my bike on the track completely naked last weekend. gas tank and front seat. I have a modded airbox. I didn't see any difference. Maybe even slower without the fairing.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I ran my bike on the track completely naked last weekend. gas tank and front seat. I have a modded airbox. I didn't see any difference. Maybe even slower without the fairing.
Well done HoPMiX.
Hope you enjoyed it?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was looking at my airbox. If you look above the filter. There is a screen with large holes & one above it in really small square mesh. I cant believe it take that much to keep from having filter sucked in to motor. Looks like screen with larger holes there is alot of metal between holes blocking air flow. maybe modify?
That is a backfire screen and it is there to prevent a fire in the airbox should the engine fire back through the throttle body.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I enjoyed it. I had the suspension modded by marietta motorsports and the bike felt great. It was locked into the corners. I had issues getting comfy on the bike because it is such a different feel than my gixxer. Im going back in 2 weeks to work more on my body positioning and get get used to the bike.
My only negative was it was underpowered. Its hard to get drive out of the corners and on the straights your getting left. Im going to play with sprockets this next week and see what happens. I think from a handling perspective its a step above the ex 250 once you mod the suspension. Even better than the modded ninjettes. Power though I just don't know what you can do other than learn to rail it so good you just never get off the gas.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the the "gains" you guys say ...3% at what ever mph.. assumes a intake that has ample air to provide the engine at X rpm. the ram air effect only increases that by pressurizing the intake. what im thinking is happening is that the engine doesnt have enough air to begin with some im only trying to supply more. also im not speaking of directly routing air INTO the box, i only want to run the tube so it ends above the air intake, not directly connected to it so it wont affect intended design at cruising speeds.

the airbox design is fine for communting, but from what i can see, the low pressure zones created around the bike actually pull air AWAY from that section. so the engine has to do alot more work to get enough air. thats my theory anyways. if it dont work, so what. but id be willing to bet it will help. there is no reason this thing should take as long to climb to redline as it does.

couple hours with some foam, make a mold, then lay in carbon fiber voila, ram air. but need to see if i have room to route a tube.

·
Registered
175 Posts
the the "gains" you guys say ...3% at what ever mph.. assumes a intake that has ample air to provide the engine at X rpm. the ram air effect only increases that by pressurizing the intake. what im thinking is happening is that the engine doesnt have enough air to begin with some im only trying to supply more. also im not speaking of directly routing air INTO the box, i only want to run the tube so it ends above the air intake, not directly connected to it so it wont affect intended design at cruising speeds.

the airbox design is fine for communting, but from what i can see, the low pressure zones created around the bike actually pull air AWAY from that section. so the engine has to do alot more work to get enough air. thats my theory anyways. if it dont work, so what. but id be willing to bet it will help. there is no reason this thing should take as long to climb to redline as it does.

couple hours with some foam, make a mold, then lay in carbon fiber voila, ram air. but need to see if i have room to route a tube.
go for it man. i am interested really and i believe, it will add a gain.
but, post pics please.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts