Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me 37 years, and it finally happened. I wasn't looking for it, I knew I wasn't riding good enough, and finally it happened.
A kind of understanding that wasn't there before, and when I finished that ride I realized that it happened.
In the past I compensated for my reasonably ability with a slow riding speed, even now it would not be right for me to increase speed. I do not have instincts at the level that pilots have, and in general I believe that on a motorcycle you should not challenge the speeds. I did not ride any different than average this time either. 80-100kph, for short periods 120kph, 34 kilometers per liter of fuel. But the quality was different. I can't find the words, it's this dance between the road conditions, the looking in mirrors, the right speed for the right situation, it's how I integrated with the other road users...I didn't make an effort, and it was the safest and the most correct moment.
I think it also has to do with my subscription to Pavline's YouTube channel:
[In the last year I have accumulated a lot of hours watching his great channel]

·
Super Moderator
1,451 Posts
Sort of like the first time you realized that you were countersteering?
I love riding the deserted back roads here at night with only my headlight cutting through the dark. It's so much easier to get "in the zone" with your bike without the traffic and other daytime distractions. You can really focus on making your inputs as smooth as possible and that just leads to another level of Zen-like bliss.
Night riding does come with inherent additional risks, however. As I learned after an unsettling near miss one evening that was so close it left deer snot on my jacket. (I replaced my stock pipe with a louder one the very next day.)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sort of like the first time you realized that you were countersteering?
yes, sort of, but bigger. Something in the integration of all the elements together...
...another level of Zen-like bliss (y)(y)(y)
Night riding does come with inherent additional risks,
But at the night there is less traffic then it is more safer...
An animal can surprise even during the day...the whole point is to adjust the speed (and the reaction time ability) to the visibility conditions. and that not new to me. This time it is about understanding the whole of knowledge into one body of sweetest ride? There is no word for it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've experienced the biggest improvement in my riding skills when I took a racing class at a local track. Basically, spent the day at a track following instructors or being followed by one to see where I need improvement. Following the instructor had the biggest impact in learning the proper line as well as being able to get out of my comfort zone in terms of cornering speed.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've experienced the biggest improvement in my riding skills when I took a racing class at a local track(y)(y)(y)
Yes, but I'm not talking about the technical ability. I also remember the experience of "this time I pressed the brakes properly (the speed & precision response at emergency). Or the time I reacted correctly while countersteering (without thinking about it). I had acquired the right instincts a long time ago (I know that i am not so fast, but i am what i am;)). Now it was something beyond instincts, everything happens more correctly, which translates into a feeling of effortlessness, some kind of natural balance, as if I am the motorcycle and the motorcycle is me? I have no words for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts