Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I got my CBR250RA in January 2012. Ever since then, it has been making a loud thudding sound when I downshift from the 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd, and 2nd to 1st or neutral. Not every time, but the frequency has increased after the first service, which was done at 573 kms. I read in thread that this problem is common and is normally rectified in the 1st service. But mine continues. Any suggestions??
By the way, the dealership I got it from SUCKS!! Its the biggest in town. But the customer service is the crappiest I've ever had to experience. And I'm pretty sure they wont respond to me. So, is there a way i could reduce or remove this thudding?:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The chain has 25mm freeplay, like its supposed to. I dont know about the clutch play.
There is the problem, 25mm is way too tight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is the problem, 25mm is way too tight.
But its written on the bike that the default freeplay is supposed to be 25 mm only. And thats the way it has been since I got it. Also, how can i reduce or increase the freeplay of the chain?? And what amount of freeplay can make the thudding stop?? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should have around 10 mm of free play at the end of the clutch lever. Check this and then check your chain free play. It's all in the user manual. Have you read it? It's also possible that you're changing down gear too early, but without seeing you ride, I can't be sure of that.
Thanks Wynne. I'll check that out. Get back to you later.:D

·
Registered
706 Posts
But its written on the bike that the default freeplay is supposed to be 25 mm only. And thats the way it has been since I got it. Also, how can i reduce or increase the freeplay of the chain?? And what amount of freeplay can make the thudding stop?? :confused::confused::confused:
Follow what it says in your owners manual lol.

Down shifting into first gear always clunks a little bit, this is pretty normal across the Honda line and other bikes according to some technicians I've talked to. If it's doing it in other gears then either you're shifting too early or the clutch isn't adjusted properly. The only other thing that could cause it and is not one of those things would be a clutch that doesn't disengage all the way but that should have other symptoms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts