Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has js run 450kms and every time when i start the bike in the morning or when not used for quite some time during the day, everytime i pull the throttle and leave it, i hear a "tick" sound. This gradually fades away aftr the engine gets warm.
Is this normal on all bikes?

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Yes. A cold bike has more valve clearance which causes a ticking sound. As the engine warms up the ticking should go away. The ticking should never be truly loud.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
if they tick cold its time for an adjustment. no engine honda makes should tick.
That is a false statement. The 400EX 4 wheeler's are known for ticking.
Valve stems strech and clearances get tight not lose. Nothing to worry about, when the bike sits for a period of time it has little oil on top of the valve train and it will tick until it builds oil pressure and it warms up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
valve stems do not stretch.. its a myth.. measure some sometime. IF a bike has been sitting for a REALLY long time. it might tick for 5 seconds till it gets oil, but it should NOT do it after that. cold or hot. a ticking valve means its loose and needs to be adjusted. and 400ex are know for ticking because people rev the hell out of them then need to adjust them again. i work on bikes and four wheelers for a living and have honda kawasaki suzuki and yamaha certificates. none of those classes have every said "ticking valves are normal" if they tick they need to be adjusted.. period.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My bike has got the continuous ticking sound when idle or running. was diagnosed with faulty chain tensioner. india is having a lot of problems with shims and tensioners. what about people from other countries?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
valve stems do not stretch.. its a myth.. measure some sometime. IF a bike has been sitting for a REALLY long time. it might tick for 5 seconds till it gets oil, but it should NOT do it after that. cold or hot. a ticking valve means its loose and needs to be adjusted. and 400ex are know for ticking because people rev the hell out of them then need to adjust them again. i work on bikes and four wheelers for a living and have honda kawasaki suzuki and yamaha certificates. none of those classes have every said "ticking valves are normal" if they tick they need to be adjusted.. period.
I just had 3 400 ex's in my shop and they all tick when cold. And I adjusted valves. Honda specs are loose clearances on them IMO. Also I do have multiple valves for my race bikes and I have measured them and they do streach. But the seats are really what takes the beating to make the stems "longer" I also work on the same stuff for a living including snowmobiles. And of corse they arent going to say valve train ticking is normal. But like the "engine rattle" on the CBR's isn't considered normal when that's in the valve train? I started running Kibble White valves in my mx bikes and went from shimming valves 3 times a season with the honda and KTM valves to once a year.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I havent noticed any tick in mine ever on a cold start. Cant say i have ever had that problem with any bike ive ever had. Hmmmm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts