Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hanging around here for a few months, but -
I don't have a CBR250R.
It's the bike I have been considering getting next.
I have been asking questions and listening to discussions by people interested, and seemingly experienced, in the function of the bike.
I pretty much ignore the stuff about having the bike as a Barbie doll, playing dressup, and trying to look the part.

Well tomorrow, weather permitting, I will test ride a demo CBR250R and will let you know how it went. And probably more questions.
I'm not big. 5' 8 1/2", 160 lbs. Most of my bikes (a lot of them over the years) have been small or medium sized. For the last six years I have had a 1987 BMW (1000cc and 475 lbs). The trouble is that reality has struck. I am 66 and body strength is naturally, but inevitably, fading. (You young pups stop grinning!) I am just fine at speed, and can still smoke lots of riders on twisty roads, but if things got out of hand I think the 475 lb bike would win the fight. I also notice it in parking lots and muscleing it around the workshop.

So that's where I'm at with it. My guess is that I will like the bike but be disappointed with the power, however I will keep an open mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Good luck with your test ride. Your thoughts will be interesting cant wait to hear your responce. I to am an older rider 58 but like you speed does not bother me I can still whip it through the curves pretty good. I like the little Honda but its just to underpowered for me. I like more power coming out of curves or entering the freeway. Passing is also a challange but thats just me

·
Registered
414 Posts
good luck and a word of warning. the first gear shift is almost imeadiate on this bike. looking forward to hearing how you got on

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I hope the bike works out for you. It will be comforting to know that there's one more geezer like me out there when the young guys double-take when I take my helmet off.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings r100,

One of the hardest Mental blocks to overcome when road testing a New Motorcycle.

The comparsion to another Motorcycle. If you start doing this, you are not giving the New Motorcycle a Fair and Unbiased Evaluation.

You have to decide, if the cbr will full fill what your expectation of the cbr will meet.

If your Expectation isn't meet. No amount of $$$$$ will make it meet your Expectation.

One of the symptons, Known as Buyer's Remorse, will always be in the deep recesses of your mind.

Best of Luck and Decision Making on your Test Ride of the cbr.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'll be interested in your thoughts as well... I actually enjoy the reactions when I take my helmet off..57 years old, and seem to be in a perpetual holding pattern.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Good luck with the test ride. First gear is quick on the shift as dukie stated. Also, your pretty much the same size i am and just a bit of advice, careful pulling out of the lot into traffic if it slopes down. I find that on driveways that slope down i cant touch if i need to. At stoplights i just hang both legs off and steady myself with my tiptoes as i cannot flat-foot it. But if i wanted to flat foot id just ride my bob lol. Hope to hear you made a purchase soon!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I will be interested in what you think too. I am 10 years younger than you (one of those pups you are talking about) :D

I am coming from a Triumph Daytona 675 which is only 365 lbs but puts out 124 hp. I am not looking for that anymore, but I am sure it can be a real shock when going from a bike that goes from 0-75 in FIRST gear to something closer to my prior bike (Buell Blast).

I think it is the right bike for me, but I just hope it is enough to still have some fun.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I will be interested in what you think too. I am 10 years younger than you (one of those pups you are talking about) :D

I am coming from a Triumph Daytona 675 which is only 365 lbs but puts out 124 hp. I am not looking for that anymore, but I am sure it can be a real shock when going from a bike that goes from 0-75 in FIRST gear to something closer to my prior bike (Buell Blast).

I think it is the right bike for me, but I just hope it is enough to still have some fun.
You take a ride a little north, and we'll take you up to the Suches loop. You'll see just how much fun you can have on our little ceebees...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey I am right there with you. I just started my lurking though :)

I am a pretty new rider but to me a light bike is the right bike too. Something else I notice looking at the CBR yesterday was how the low center of gravity makes the bike even lighter to handle and move around.

My KLX250 Dual Sport is even lighter although not that much. However, since it is a lot taller it is more to handle moving around. It takes more muscle to lift if its starts to tip etc. My KLX I can lift onto a stand by myself. That is cool.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
You are a smart person r100, something tells me you wont be dissappointed at all in the way it delivers its 23hp, you've done your research, and ignored much of the bs on here.

In a couple months you'll love it even more every ride.
This bike can be ridden very fast as its so stable when pushed hard.
Honda has done their homework on this one.

I too read this forum for months b4 joining, then trolled it another few months b4 pulling the pin and buying one without even test riding.
It has not dissapointed me yet. (despite what we read every day about ppl stalling, rattling, not being able to shift gears, and not being able to pass trucks etc lol)

·
745 Posts
I'm the same height, I wish I was the same weight (you're 20 less) and 12 years younger. I'm betting that you'll really like the CBR

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been riding for 25+ years and I was looking for a commuter bike. I had not ridden anything under 500cc until this bike. I was suprised that a 250 could be this quick. Granted, by no means is it a speed demon, but it is the most fun bike I've ridden. And with a 70 mile daily commute, 75 mpg can't be beat.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Greetings r100,

One of the hardest Mental blocks to overcome when road testing a New Motorcycle.

The comparsion to another Motorcycle. If you start doing this, you are not giving the New Motorcycle a Fair and Unbiased Evaluation.
I have noticed this when I switch between my three bikes. I have a CBR250R, Newgen Ninja250 and an 07 Ninja650. When you switch bikes, the negatives tend to jump out at you first. The things that the other bike did better. It is only after sticking with one bike for a few rides that you begin to tune into the good things that it does better.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I have noticed this when I switch between my three bikes. I have a CBR250R, Newgen Ninja250 and an 07 Ninja650. When you switch bikes, the negatives tend to jump out at you first. The things that the other bike did better. It is only after sticking with one bike for a few rides that you begin to tune into the good things that it does better.
I'm experiencing this quite a bit, as I'll ride my CBR on a Saturday, then take my XR400R up into the mountains on Sunday... talk about a stark difference!!

I'm 53 years young... I believe my love affair with motorcycles over the past 43 years has slowed the aging process, although I will say that I do ride smarter than I did when I was a young pup. I'm grateful to have made through the formative years!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input folks, but there will be something of a delay.

Yesterday evening I had to take my wife to the hospital where she is now in the Intensive Care Unit. Yes, scary stuff. This is the first 5 minutes I have had since then. So I will be noticeable by my absence for a while and test rides will have to wait.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Oh jeez. Go take care of your wife. I hope she recovers soon. Good luck and your fellow geezer CeeBeezers will be thinking of you. :)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Thanks for all the input folks, but there will be something of a delay.

Yesterday evening I had to take my wife to the hospital where she is now in the Intensive Care Unit. Yes, scary stuff. This is the first 5 minutes I have had since then. So I will be noticeable by my absence for a while and test rides will have to wait.

Thanks again.
r100.....I am SO SORRY to hear this. If you're ok with it can you please keep us informed as to how your wife and you are doing??? My thoughts are with you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts