Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day team,
I was just wondering when would be the time to replace your timing chain? Or is this a part that should hopefully last the time of your bike?
Service manual doesnt actually say anything about when to check/replace.
Mayne honda was like "the bike will die before the chain needs replacement." Hahahaha

Safe riding all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Timing chains are always lubricated and aren't exposed to water and dirt so they last much longer than the drive chain. The dealer is right that the the rest of the bike will die before the chain, unless you bouncing off the rev limiter everywhere you go. The real thing to keep up with is the tensioner.

Now if your up at like 50,000 miles then It wouldnt be a bad idea to inspect the chain for play just to make sure.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timing chains are always lubricated and aren't exposed to water and dirt so they last much longer than the drive chain. The dealer is right that the the rest of the bike will die before the chain, unless you bouncing off the rev limiter everywhere you go. The real thing to keep up with is the tensioner.

Now if your up at like 50,000 miles then It wouldnt be a bad idea to inspect the chain for play just to make sure.
Thank you so much for all the info. I do agree with you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you do your own service, checking the condition of cam chain during valve inspection should probably be sufficient.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you do your own service, checking the condition of cam chain during valve inspection should probably be sufficient.
I do intermediate services between my visits to Honda so they do the valve checks. If I still own the bike for the next check I'll ask them to double check it. I'm trying to immigrate. Will be the hardest thing to do is sell my beloved bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts