Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the CBR250r is your first motorcycle , congratulations , you are smart !

this thread is for new motorcycle drivers to learn from the mistakes of others.

mistakes are can be deadly on a motorcycle !

WEAR YOU HELMET & GOLVES !

....but most important , strap the chin strap of the helmet !

the helmet will come off at the worst time , if you don't buckle up the chin strap !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lets start with the proper gear, helmet, gloves, jacket, long pants and over the ankle boots. Once you are protected, get enrolled in an MSF course, then practice, practice, practice... Do a track day, dont be intimidated by the track, or get the wrong impression that you have to be Ben Spies to ride at the track. Its a great place to get familiar and get to know your bike and yourself as a rider. The track is a safe and controlled environment. Never ride over your skill level, never give in to peer pressure. Wheelies are a fast way to dump and destroy your bike, or even worse, a few bones. I can go on all night, but if you are conscious and safe you will live to ride another day.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Be observant, obsessively so. Look at the tires on cars in front of yourself. Are they low on air, vibrating, or hopping. A piece of tire tread can fly off an knock you off the bike or kill you.

Is the car in front of you a rolling piece of junk, or a truck with the spare tire dangling under the rear. Either one can quickly get you in serious trouble, or dead.

Watch any truck, especially dump trucks for rocks stuck between the dual rear tires. That rock could become a projectile and hit you square in the face.

Give yourself plenty of space for unexpected things, like any animal running out in front of you, especially when it's dark or there are trees close to the side of the road. Always know your escape routes, and assume the oncoming traffic is distracted and will come over in your lane without warning. Use the width of your lane to give you a slight edge in avoiding a head on collision.

The closest I have come to dying in the last 3 years is oncoming traffic that swerves over into my lane.

Wear a full face helmet, even a gumball right between the eyes can cause a disaster. Large insects also.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The track is a safe and controlled environment. Never ride over your skill level, never give in to peer pressure. Wheelies are a fast way to dump and destroy your bike, or even worse, a few bones. I can go on all night, but if you are conscious and safe you will live to ride another day.
thanks IRIDEFAST !

which bring me to my third tip: don't listen to "experts" , they always have an opinion & they are always right :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be observant, obsessively so. Look at the tires on cars in front of yourself. Are they low on air, vibrating, or hopping. A piece of tire tread can fly off an knock you off the bike or kill you.

Is the car in front of you a rolling piece of junk, or a truck with the spare tire dangling under the rear. Either one can quickly get you in serious trouble, or dead.

Watch any truck, especially dump trucks for rocks stuck between the dual rear tires. That rock could become a projectile and hit you square in the face.

Give yourself plenty of space for unexpected things, like any animal running out in front of you, especially when it's dark or there are trees close to the side of the road. Always know your escape routes, and assume the oncoming traffic is distracted and will come over in your lane without warning. Use the width of your lane to give you a slight edge in avoiding a head on collision.

The closest I have come to dying in the last 3 years is oncoming traffic that swerves over into my lane.

Wear a full face helmet, even a gumball right between the eyes can cause a disaster. Large insects also.

regards
Badger
+100000000 on this one !
be aware of your surroundings.
if i can ,i like to look inside the cars to see the driver too. if they look "unstable" , is just another excuse to keep it moving :D

good to see the real cbr250 veteran riders doing their part to make sure the new motorcycle riders represent us the right way !....alive !!!

thanks Badger

·
Registered
636 Posts
being a realitivly new rider i try to take in this info and apply what i can to the road, being as proactive and observing my surroundings, tracking possible escape routes, watching the front wheel of cars for movement, and i love it. theres no such thing as half assing it mentally..

·
Registered
96 Posts
As I new rider myself, I would add practice at your own pace (after the MSF course).

Take short trips to get used to your bike then bump up the difficulty. Start with a few trips around your neighborhood where congested traffic isn't an issue. Then, head out for a short trip to Starbucks or for a bite to eat somewhere close to your pad. From there, take a longer trip. Once comfortable, hit a street with a higher speed limit and eventually move to the freeway.

Point being, don't try to add rush hour freeway traffic and a trip up Las Vegas BLVD on your first day riding. Add more variables as your confidence and skill increases.

Oh yeah! Don't forget gear. A good helmet, jacket and gloves are way cheaper than skin grafts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Glad to see you finally talking some sense, SS.

I'll add what I think are a few important tips:

1. Understand that riding around on public roads on two wheels is not a thing to take lightly. Even if you do everything perfectly right, you are still around five times more likely to be injured or killed versus puttering in a four-wheeled steel cage. If you're okey-doke with that, then...

2. Take an MSF class before you buy a bike. And retake it occasionally. Practice everything they teach on your own. Track days are not a bad idea.

3. All the gear all the time. Skin grafts sound like fun until you need one.

4. Ride defensively, not offensively. Obey the traffic laws as long as your safety is not in jeopardy. Try to make yourself visible, even though it won't help sometimes. Ride as if other drivers don't see you, not as if they can't.

5. Maintain your motorcycle. Do as much of the maintenance and repairs yourself as you can. Read and follow the owner's manual.

6. Don't take advice from random people on the Internet as truth, do your own research.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Tips For New Motorcycle Drivers ~

Well for starters you ride, not Drive.
Tip~
Just dont bin your shyt.... but if you must.. do it early & spectacularly and learn from it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well for starters you ride, not Drive.[/SIZE]
Tip~
Just dont bin your shyt.... but if you must.. do it early & spectacularly and learn from it.
oh Aufitt i almost forgot about you.
i think you are ready to move up.
you should get a slow bike first , like the 600rr, and get on the track !

"don't worry bro, is only a 600 and you are on a closed track, what's the worst that can happen ?" - Xspurt ;)

im going to make my next video just for you buddy :)

tip for new rider: don't listen to Aufitt, he just wants to see you crash :D

you can get injured or worst on ANY motorcycle and on ANY road.
Crashing is not an option

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
But I love watching ppl binning shyt.

Like my mates watched me flipping (looping for you mericans I think) a 250 road trail on 5th gear past the beach haha... but that was 25 yrs ago...
I still bin em every now and then tho.. happens to the Experts like me too :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
thanks IRIDEFAST !

which bring me to my third tip: don't listen to "experts" , they always have an opinion & they are always right :D
Well, Im not an expert, but rider coaches at the MSF are and those are the ones I listen to, if you dont listen to "experts" because they have an opinion, which I call experience, then who are tou listening to. Maybe you have your own style, and thats perfectly fine. Everyone learns different. Really smart people learns from other peoples mistakes, smart people learn from their own mistakes, but dumb people they just dont learn.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Practice panic breaking till you can do it when you're panicked.

Remember, when the **** unexpectedly hits the fan you are not going to have time to think, you're going to revert to doing something stupid (like fixating on the obstacle or ditch or whatever) instead of braking so hard that you scare yourself.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
-Tuck hugging the tank 75% of the time, bending the elbows & neck to contortion at 4th gear speeds.
-Ignore rider training courses.
-Pull clutch in and pray your way around corners in angel gear.
-When going too fast just pull clutch in and hope you find a gear somewhere between 6th and 1st.
-Redline your bike cold straight out of the showroom bouncing off the revlimiter the motoman way.
-Ignore owners manuals.
-listen intently for engine rattles so you can spoil your new bike experience.
-Call the lawer, make threads, anything but your LBS.
-Ignore owners manuals.
-Find the cheapest service ignoring stupid things like valve clearance checks.
Ignore service manuals.
-Bolt on the crappiest south east asian shiny bits you can find to add ballast.
-Ignore owners manuals.
-Get the loudest pipe you can so it falls apart coz loud means power right?.. 2 bros is boss.
-Find the crappiest fuel you can coz it saves a dollar.
-Ignore owners manuals.
-Fit flush indicators coz cars see us too well.
-Ignore that motorcycling on the road is dangerous.
-remove rear indicators to keep the cars guessing.
-Ignore that road riding is dangerous.
-Fit a gear position indicator coz even if we;re in the wrong gear we need a shiny thing to tell us.
-Ignore rider training.
-Tighten chain as much as possible... adjust it daily.
-Ignore owners manuals.
-Make sure clutch cable hits the bar b4 adjustment.
-Ignore owners manuals.
-Close throttle as abruptly as possible.. helps with shutoff.
-Ignore rider taining courses.

:D

·
Registered
619 Posts
learn to read the cars, what they are going to do, what they could do and what they might do. Always identify distracted and goofy drivers. Never trust green lights, always be ready, never go too fast or too slow through the intersection. Once you learn a bad place, never press your luck, find another route if you can.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Here's some I have to work on. Just play it cool and enjoy the ride. Nothing they do should upset you in the least, don't even give it a thought, like water off a duck's back. Here's my motto: I forgive me, I forgive everybody. Sometimes I make mistakes, sometimes they make mistakes.

If you ride a bright red bike and have a bright yellow jacket, they are going to remember who you are, so flipping them off and yelling is probably not a great idea. (can you tell, I'm a hot head?)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
We ALL start out as newbies. To learn how to ride one has to WANT to ride as the learning curve has it's highs and valleys. Here's a few tips
1) Never, ever give up your lane, it's yours no one elses
2)always leave a cushion along with an escape route
3)move to right of lane when on-coming semi passes from on-coming lane, this way you limit cross draft or kicked up debris
4)always shoulder check
5)if you're not in the right mindset to ride then don't ride, you need to always be mentally alert
6)take a reputable MSF course to give you a solid foundation of good skill sets and build on those by practice, practice, practice
7)master the 250 before trading up. When you are ready, test ride the bigger bike if possible. Don't be in a hurry
8)know your limitations. We all have them. Ride within your limits and don't yield to peer pressure and ride beyond what your comfortable with
9)speed and inexperience leads to the majority of crashes
10)if you happen to ba a natural at riding, avoid a cocky attitude, instead rejoice you have this gift as it will guard agaisn't making stupid mistakes
11)have fun

Just a few tips

Reactions: Chakra
1 - 20 of 49 Posts