Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking an Xena disc lock, Some sort of a Jojack, and maybe a steel cable with a metal cable lock? (pain in the ass for bolt cutters) also theft replacement insurance if my best friend I know! I just have this massive fear of it getting stolen.. I know if someone wants is enough they'll get it but the JoJack makes me feel sort of better.. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Like you say. if they want it they will get it. The things you mention may slow some down and make them look elsewhere.
Disc lock wont stop the thieves that just pick up the bike and toss it into a van. Same for the steel cable unless you are locking the bike to something.

Theft insurance with an agreed value is your friend. As in, my bike is insured for the price to replace it. If it is stolen i get that $ back and not the blue book resale value.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like you say. if they want it they will get it. The things you mention may slow some down and make them look elsewhere.
Disc lock wont stop the thieves that just pick up the bike and toss it into a van. Same for the steel cable unless you are locking the bike to something.

Theft insurance with an agreed value is your friend. As in, my bike is insured for the price to replace it. If it is stolen i get that $ back and not the blue book resale value.
Yes I will lock it to whatever I can

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have had 2 motorcycles stolen, both in England (vehicle crime capital of Europe?).

The first was stolen from the middle of Bedford Town, mid afternoon. The chain I had used to lock it to a rail remained, cut. The police found the bike in a shed a few months later, but said it was not worth recovering. I had already been paid out £400 on the Third Party, Fire & Theft policy I had.

The second was stolen in Cambridge City, outside a newsagent where I had stopped to buy a newspaper. I had the key with me, but of course, stopping for just a few minutes, I had not locked the steering. I didn't have to go far to report that; the police station was only 100 metres away. They never found it, and the insurance company paid out £250.

Years ago in NZ I had a Suzuki TS185. I never liked it much, but it was with me for eight years and covered much of the country. The wiring was a mess, so I ditched most. Just kick to start, and stall to stop. No matter where I left it, no one was interested.

Here in Thailand, at 170,000 km my little 100cc scoot was well down on power, so I was thinking of getting a new one. "It'll cost you 40,000 baht, and is more likely to get stolen. For 4,000 baht I'll overhaul the old one and you won't have to worry," said the mechanic I use. I took his advice. It runs like new bike, and I don't worry.

Make what you like of all this..... I would say be reasonably prudent about where you leave your bike and locking it, and insure against what you cannot cover yourself. If you worry too much your possessions become a burden rather than a convenience or a joy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.