Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is hope for the stock tires.
I have a little over 3K miles on my bike and the tires are just now starting to feel scrubbed in. Those tires (tyres) are made of some hard compound.

This morning for the first time ever, I started to feel some feedback from them.
It's amazing how much the pace quickens when you can feel what the bike is doing :)

I was thinking about ditching these things prematurely for a set of Sport Demons but now I think I may wait. I was only 10 mph off my old pace on the ol' Buell today (compared to 15-20 off) so it seems like these Road Winners get better after a few thousand miles. They're sort of the opposite of what I'm used to. I'm used to tires that start really good then go really bad after 3K miles. This bike has been nothing but surprises. All good surprises.

Thinking of what this bike will be like with good rubber and suspension mods makes me all giddy and giggly inside :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
maybe its just me..my tires have stuck like they were made out of glue since i put 100 miles on them..have scraped the toe of my boot in many corners...rode wet and dry..tires never once acted they wanted to slip..

riding on big wet falling leaves in the fall going up a mountain road is the only time i felt the rear wheel kick an inch or so on me in several corners enough to give me pause and make me slow way down

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm tempted to ditch these now for the Sport Demons or Diablo II Corsa. I feel they are a big step behind my last set of Tires the Michelin Pilot Powers on my old ZX9. Last week when it was about 45 degrees took a turn rather lazy and opps a bit off. Maybe the tires but probably me. My take- go for better tires right about now if you got the dough. Too bad hardly any choices out there in our size. And going up in size to me makes the bike handle worse. I'm not sure if the Diablo II comes in our size. Saw it on Pirelli's website but this weekend the gal at the store says they dont see it in the books.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I like the standard ones , they seem to work well and with some heat in them they stick like **** to a blanket.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No issues with the stock tires on well paved roads. Of course I live in the tropics and the bike is made in Thailand so maybe it's designed for it, and I'm not that much of a hot shot rider. The only time I really got a slide out of them was when I was forced out (courtesy of scooter rider popping out of a side road without looking) on to new (and THICK) painted lines on a wet day on a long curve. I was probably a little jerky tho. (The scooter rider acted like it was all routine).

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too bad hardly any choices out there in our size. And going up in size to me makes the bike handle worse.
I hear ya. It's been my experience as well that larger tires don't often help but often slows down the flick-ability in the tight stuff.

I wish Pirelli made their Scorpion Syncs in our size. They're not the prettiest but they're great in the dry, great in the wet and not too shabby in the gravel either.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
29 front.
Was running 31 in the rear but right now it's at 33 because I'm carrying a lot of stuff in the saddlebags these days that makes total weight about 210lbs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The stock tires feel a bit better now (well, up to a few weeks ago when I stored my bike) than they did brand new, and that's in colder temps (30-55F) than the first ~400 miles (55-90F). That being said, I plan on upgrading to the Sport Demons in the spring for more sticky, especially with a full riding season ahead (versus this year when I got my CBR at the end of August).

·
Registered
879 Posts
I really have no complaints about the stock tires. Traction has always been good for me but i dont ride on the edge, dont push it kind of a conservative old fart ha ha

·
Registered
273 Posts
Trust me.... the tyres need to be run in for atleast 2000kms. I was on the same boat as lack of grip but after 2k, the tyres are now completely run-in.
No more traction loss for me :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm on the fence about the tires myself. I've got about 2500 miles on the bike and they still feel a little loose if you push it too hard. At the same time I'd rather not have a tire that I need to replace once a year lol. So we'll see, I can't complain about the tire too much as they really do last quite nicely and they have nice smooth and even wear on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts