Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to comment on Michaels "To all Squids" thread and found that it had been locked, so I thought that I'd comment here instead. I don't want to start a slanging match, or piss anyone off, I just want to give you my honest opinion. I can see that Michael seems to have an uncanny skill at upsetting folks on here, but in my opinion, he's an intelligent, witty and experienced motorcyclist. I think that most of what he says is true, and if it upsets anyone, he isn't that bothered. People in very hot countries do not wear leathers, I'd like to see anyone try it in 40 degree C heat. Most countries without highways, autobahns or motorways don't need bikes with high top end speeds, so a 125 is usually sufficient. Bikes are used for transport, and not as some weekend toy in most of these places, so if it get's you from A to B cheaply, and reliably, it'll do. That's my opinion anyway. I hope that I haven't upset too may people. We're all different, and the world would be a very boring place if this was not the case. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I actually agree with you. I have had the priviledge of travelling to different countries and experience their mode of transportation which is predominately motorcycles. IMO, it is inexperience that drives people to exact their rules on other countries. I don't really find Mikey that offensive. There are a couple other posters on this forum that I feel are offensive as they are bigoted, rude, attack people personally and cross humanitary and political boundaries. The older I get along with life experience I learn that the world doesn't revolve around our neck of the woods. We can actually learn something from someone else if we can just open our ears and eyes and not be soooooo closed minded. But, this is just my "toonies" worth which could amount to a pile of useless pennies. (which aparently are going to be rendered redundant in Canada):eek:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I have no big problem with Mikey except that he seems to like to show off the things he knows (or thinks he knows) a little too often. I like to read his posts, but I still think he's a pompous windbag. He is hypercritical of nearly everyone who asks questions that he deems to be frivolous especially if the person is new.

As to his choice of riding attire, I couldn't care less. As long as he doesn't imply, which he does, that what he chooses to wear is smart or safe because it is neither. And I don't care how freakin hot it is, you shouldn't be telling people that it's ok to ride in sandals.

I hope he keeps posting, but I'm going to keep calling him a pseudo-intellectual windbag until he stops being one. :) and no, I'm not in the least bit upset by your post. :)

Reactions: Michael

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I was about to comment on Michaels "To all Squids" thread and found that it had been locked, so I thought that I'd comment here instead. I don't want to start a slanging match, or piss anyone off, I just want to give you my honest opinion. I can see that Michael seems to have an uncanny skill at upsetting folks on here, but in my opinion, he's an intelligent, witty and experienced motorcyclist. I think that most of what he says is true, and if it upsets anyone, he isn't that bothered. People in very hot countries do not wear leathers, I'd like to see anyone try it in 40 degree C heat. Most countries without highways, autobahns or motorways don't need bikes with high top end speeds, so a 125 is usually sufficient. Bikes are used for transport, and not as some weekend toy in most of these places, so if it get's you from A to B cheaply, and reliably, it'll do. That's my opinion anyway. I hope that I haven't upset too may people. We're all different, and the world would be a very boring place if this was not the case. ;)
The Term "Squid" is the issue... If he would have used "Newbie", or even "Noob" I don't think he would have been at the receiving end of all the backlash. The term "Squid" here in the US motorcycle culture is very derogatory, and is generally reserved for the small minority of rider's who genuinely deserve it. Most of us know who those are, and if the shoe fits...
As far as this forum goes, I think that members here in the US generally cut the international member's a lot of slack in terms of the language barrier (usage, slang, sentence structure). That said, in this instance and speaking for myself, I think Michael crossed the line with his usage of the term "Squid".

Once and for all... a new, first time rider is NOT a "Squid".

Let's move on , shall we...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Wynne, you hit the nail on the head.

Most people here haven't been to Asia. They haven't seen or experienced how things work there.

It's quite different than here. Gear isn't readily accessible or affordable. Two wheels are a cheap and effective way to navigate through bustling and insane traffic.

I learned on a 125cc when I was 11....in you guessed it....sandals. In India, actually. No one wears gear. Helmets aren't common.

I wear gear. I'm not advocating not wearing gear. However, the culture is different, and bashing on it w/o ever experiencing or understanding it isn't productive.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The Term "Squid" is the issue... If he would have used "Newbie", or even "Noob" I don't think he would have been at the receiving end of all the backlash. The term "Squid" here in the US motorcycle culture is very derogatory, and is generally reserved for the small minority of rider's who genuinely deserve it. Most of us know who those are, and if the shoe fits...
As far as this forum goes, I think that members here in the US generally cut the international member's a lot of slack in terms of the language barrier (usage, slang, sentence structure). That said, in this instance and speaking for myself, I think Michael crossed the line with his usage of the term "Squid".

Once and for all... a new, first time rider is NOT a "Squid".

Let's move on , shall we...
But they are n00bs.:)

Yes I agree, squids aren't first time riders. Least how I normally refer to them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Seriously some think the word Squids is derogatory. You have got to be kiding me. I'd rather just call the unsafe, irresponsible riders what they are. Fucin idiots. Wont be first time and it wont be the last. But Squids, LOL. Just nicer way of letting unsafe riders know their fucin idiots.
And when i say unsafe i dont mean what they wear, just how they ride and irresponsible in breaking the laws of the road

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have no big problem with Mikey except that he seems to like to show off the things he knows (or thinks he knows) a little too often. I like to read his posts, but I still think he's a pompous windbag. He is hypercritical of nearly everyone who asks questions that he deems to be frivolous especially if the person is new.

As to his choice of riding attire, I couldn't care less. As long as he doesn't imply, which he does, that what he chooses to wear is smart or safe because it is neither. And I don't care how freakin hot it is, you shouldn't be telling people that it's ok to ride in sandals.

I hope he keeps posting, but I'm going to keep calling him a pseudo-intellectual windbag until he stops being one. :) and no, I'm not in the least bit upset by your post. :)
This is an internet forum, where people share what they know, or think they know. 90% of it is wrong and stupid. The other 10% is only right because the latest bandwagon says so. Use your best judgement and move on.

And he can imply that sandals are safe to wear all he wants, I'm thinking. I'll even agree with him: sandals are safe to wear. See? I don't wear them, but that's because they're not comfortable to me, not because they're "unsafe." If you want to ride in sandles, go ahead. It's perfectly OK. You ATGATT nazis can huff and puff all you want; I don't ride expecting to crash, and I don't think anyone else should either.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
This is an internet forum, where people share what they know, or think they know. 90% of it is wrong and stupid. The other 10% is only right because the latest bandwagon says so. Use your best judgement and move on.

And he can imply that sandals are safe to wear all he wants, I'm thinking. I'll even agree with him: sandals are safe to wear. See? I don't wear them, but that's because they're not comfortable to me, not because they're "unsafe." If you want to ride in sandles, go ahead. It's perfectly OK. You ATGATT nazis can huff and puff all you want; I don't ride expecting to crash, and I don't think anyone else should either.
First off, you little twerp, you should read what I said. I don't give a rat's behind if you or mike or anyone wears gear or not. In fact, I sort of hope you leave your lid at home and take a fall. might knock some sense into that pea sized brain of yours. WHAT I SAID WAS wear what you want, but when a new person is asking about gear, don't imply that not wearing gear is a good idea. It's not. That new person doesn't know any better and might think that wearing sandals is good because some guy who claims to have 50 years of riding experience or some s*it says that's what he wears. So, before you start calling people nazis, learn how to f*ckin read.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Wynne, you hit the nail on the head.

Most people here haven't been to Asia. They haven't seen or experienced how things work there.

It's quite different than here. Gear isn't readily accessible or affordable. Two wheels are a cheap and effective way to navigate through bustling and insane traffic.

I learned on a 125cc when I was 11....in you guessed it....sandals. In India, actually. No one wears gear. Helmets aren't common.

I wear gear. I'm not advocating not wearing gear. However, the culture is different, and bashing on it w/o ever experiencing or understanding it isn't productive.
Which is part of my point. I've been to Asia, several times. It's a different world. I know someone who works in the travel industry and deals closely with tourists. A common statement made is "That's not how we do it where I come from". Of course it isn't. If you want the world to spin around where you come from.....then stay there. We may choose to live our life differently and adopt different safety measures, however, the world revolves on its own axis....not ours

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts

I don't drive my car or truck expecting to crash... I would be an idiot to not wear my seat belt though. Wearing the proper gear when riding a motorcycle is just smart. Anyone who says otherwise is part of your "90% of it is wrong and stupid" group, IMHO.

Seriously, Mentat Ix you've got my vote for "The Most Asinine Post of the Week", and it's only freaking Monday.

Oh yeah... I'm trying real hard to be a good boy and keep my potty mouth in check, so I'll just say this: What Empty Sea said... X2... Each and every word!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Which is part of my point. I've been to Asia, several times. It's a different world. I know someone who works in the travel industry and deals closely with tourists. A common statement made is "That's not how we do it where I come from". Of course it isn't. If you want the world to spin around where you come from.....then stay there. We may choose to live our life differently and adopt different safety measures, however, the world revolves on its own axis....not ours
Quite true.

·
Registered
65 Posts
First off, you little twerp, you should read what I said. I don't give a rat's behind if you or mike or anyone wears gear or not. In fact, I sort of hope you leave your lid at home and take a fall. might knock some sense into that pea sized brain of yours. WHAT I SAID WAS wear what you want, but when a new person is asking about gear, don't imply that not wearing gear is a good idea. It's not. That new person doesn't know any better and might think that wearing sandals is good because some guy who claims to have 50 years of riding experience or some s*it says that's what he wears. So, before you start calling people nazis, learn how to f*ckin read.
See, this is the problem right here. Anyone who disagrees with you is "a little twerp" and you hope they die?

I can see where Micheal is the douchebag here.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Still haven't learned how to read, have you? We actually agree that people should wear the gear that they feel comfortable with, twerp. You'd have seen that if you didn't have your head up your butt. You'd also see, if you read, that I didn't call Mike a douchebag. I called him a windbag, but I also tried to imply that I actually like his windbaggedness except when he is giving bad advice to people who may not know any better. My beef with you, is that you can't read or at least comprehend what I was saying. So, again, and read this slowly now. Wearing sandals when you ride is fine with me. Recommending or even implying to a new rider that it a good thing is irresponsible when you are holding yourself out to be an authority on riding. Got that honeybunch? Good.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Oh..I forgot one thing. I didn't wish that you would die. I hoped that you would gain a little sense. I do not believe in wishing people dead. If it actually happened, then I'd feel bad.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't drive my car or truck expecting to crash... I would be an idiot to not wear my seat belt though. Wearing the proper gear when riding a motorcycle is just smart. Anyone who says otherwise is part of your "90% of it is wrong and stupid" group, IMHO.

Seriously, Mentat Ix you've got my vote for "The Most Asinine Post of the Week", and it's only freaking Monday.

Oh yeah... I'm trying real hard to be a good boy and keep my potty mouth in check, so I'll just say this: What Empty Sea said... X2... Each and every word!
I would say wearing the proper gear for the situation is smart. I own and use more gear than you can shake a stick at. I use it when it's appropriate. I ride everywhere I go, 30k or so miles a year. It's not always appropriate or practical to gear up.

But that was not my point. My point was, when an experienced rider shares his point of view on a friggin' internet forum, it's pretty asinine to jump all over him with personal attacks because you disagree.

I've never seen Micheal specifically recommend riding with no gear to "new riders." I did see where he posted what he wears. In a topic asking what everyone wears. Imagine that.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Once again, I said that he "Implied" it and while it was in a thread that, yes, asked posters what gear they wore, it was clear from the OP that he was a new rider and asking what people considered safe for riding. Michael replied that he wore shorts and sandals and that most of the rest of us spent too much money on gear. I think that's not really good advice and he can hide, or you can hide him, behind the fact that he didn't "recommend". I don't disagree that Michael can and should wear whatever his little heart desires. You should do the same. But when someone says "I'm new. What do you guys that know about riding wear?" maybe the sandal-clad set should explain that they are making a choice, not recommending it on the basis of safety. Maybe that would have been a better reply.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, I can pretty much agree with that. I didn't post in that thread because I didn't think "I wear as much or as little as the weather allows" would go along with the topic.

I don't know Micheal. I don't agree with everything he's posted. I certainly don't intend to represent him in anything. But it does rub me the wrong way when people go all helter-skelter with attacks for no good reason.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Posting on an internet forum can fail when it comes to accurately describing ones feelings. Words are great but facial expression and body language is missing, therefore can end up misrepresenting someone. Empty Sea is an awesome guy who is level headed and mature. Michael is older in years, has some maturity but relishes stiring the pot. This not to say he doesn't have many years of rideing experience which is world wide. I met a guy with years of riding experience and described a friend of his who finally had to start wearing a helmet due to recent law changes. He rebelled by wearing a large soup pot on his head. So, there you go....years of experience but was still a dumb-ass:eek:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts