Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find I'm engine braking (purposely, and basically sub-consciously) practically *instead* of using the front or rear brake, when slowing for a light, or stop, until I need to slow in a shorter space, or after finally downshifting to 2nd or 1st..

I'm curious about the pros/cons of engine braking... where? when? Good idea? Bad idea? Good for mpg? bad? Good/bad for the engine/transmission? Best practices?

Your thoughts...
'Cause I don't have any of my own...

·
Registered
323 Posts
It is a way to slow down gently. Not a way to slow down quickly.
You are using only the back wheel to slow down when engine braking.
If you do it at high rpm in a low gear you might get wheel hop.
Brake pads are cheap. Engine parts? Not so much.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I do it a lot for mild braking like coming up to a turn but if I'm coming to a full stop I use my brakes and engine brake. A lot of the hipermiler guys pull in the clutch and use strictly the brakes so that must be the most fuel efficient way. I just got 71.8mpg on this tank with only a hair over 400 miles on the bike so I'm very happy with that and I'll continue to ride like I'm doing.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I engine brake but not at high speeds, fast maneuvers, or sudden stops. When in traffic I try to keep safe distances between other vehicles and slow down leaving plenty of stopping distance. Since I drive stick in my personal vehicles I am used to gearing up and down in everyday traffic so this has been my approach to riding bikes. I donot change gears with the engine sounding like a siren as the rpms are too high. I wld imagine this cld cause engine damage over time as well as the rider finding himself ass over tea kettle.

Brakes are always applied however to visually signal drivers behind that I am slowing down. In conclusion, I use a combination of brakes and engine. Makes sense to me:cool:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm curious about the pros/cons of engine braking... where? when? Good idea? Bad idea? Good for mpg? bad? Good/bad for the engine/transmission? Best practices?
I've been thinking about engine braking recently, too. I do it but feel like I need to gently apply my front brake so that I'm putting the cager behind me on notice that I'm slowing. :cool: Is there a technique or best practice that combines enging braking and traditional braking for the highest level of rider safety? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I don't engine brake. Wastes gas in a lot of the situations I'm in where coasting to a light could mean that light turns green before I get there.

I only engine brake for things like steep downhill curves, things like that. And on the highway as well sometimes.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i engine brake alot too..do the same thing in my stick shift jeep...i do make a conscious effort to at least squeeze the brake lever or push brake pedal enough to make the brake light come on ..so i dont get ran over from behind

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Seriously, with how little this bike costs to fill, I'm not all that worried about saving an additional dollar. I'm more concerned with efficient braking. I'm not a hypermiler.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I like to engine braking, feel like I can just open the throttle and go and the engine is always ready to respond with full traction and without clutch slippery (I am still struggling with that).
I am trying to learn the importance of always be in the right gear.
Keeping safe distance from vehicles, braking and giving throttle gently also improve my riding pleasure.
Not stress, just flowing on the road

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been meaning to ask....

We know that most modern car engines are designed not to consume any fuel if left in gear while slowing down, does this also apply to new bike engines (like the CBR250) as well?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I engine brake when I go through corners and am slowing down without intentions of stopping. Otherwise I keep the clutch pulled in if I sense a hard slowdown is suggest-able and if I'm coming to a complete stop I wait for the RPM indicator to get below the 3 then pull in and go all the way to first gear.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been meaning to ask....

We know that most modern car engines are designed not to consume any fuel if left in gear while slowing down, does this also apply to new bike engines (like the CBR250) as well?
That's true... and it works in tandem (or seems to) with the new CVT transmissions (which I have in my Altima... and I do *not* like at all). I preferred the old transmission which allowed you to roll down a steep hill without the feeling of engine braking... which I guess is a paradox, since that's what I do on my bike... on purpose...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmmmm... I am new to biking but I was told not to build up that bad habit only because of safety reasons. Your rear lights don't like up when you engine brake and if that cager behind you is following you pretty tight and you decided to engine brake, he might be dozing off or looking for his coke and didn't notice your speed had changed a lot more than he anticipated... I'd advise not to try to build up that bad habit if not for engine or gas, at least brake for visibility and safety.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmm... I am new to biking but I was told not to build up that bad habit only because of safety reasons. Your rear lights don't like up when you engine brake and if that cager behind you is following you pretty tight and you decided to engine brake, he might be dozing off or looking for his coke and didn't notice your speed had changed a lot more than he anticipated... I'd advise not to try to build up that bad habit if not for engine or gas, at least brake for visibility and safety.
That's actually a very good point, and one I've already taken to heart. I'm always checking behind me when I slow down for any reason... and *always* tap the brakes enough to light them up... especially when I engine brake...

Too many cagers out there doing... I mean reaching for... their coke...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
In an emergency situation, I have followed the clutch in, front brake idea. I can brake quite fast that way. In that case you focus all of your immediate attention on braking, and not on shifting or anything else.

For normal braking, I still find just using my brakes to be sufficient as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts