Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1/2 the people with one complain of loud, annoying rattling noise in the middle of the RPM range.

When you talk to the dealers can you ask them what they say about it, and can they contact Honda to get the 'official' line on it before you buy it.

I've mine for 8 1/2 months now, with 14,000km on it, it's a great bike but if I could go back I think I would have gone for the ninja, it's simply a much better build and quality of bike.

Honda seem to have been ignoring the problem that 1/2 the bikes seem to suffer from, and I think will continue to until possible customers want clarification on what it is before they buy them.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Did you very have your bike reshimed? Most of the people I know that are having the "ratteling" issue never had there first check up done at a Honda dealer and or didn't have there clearences checked. Just a thought hope it helps.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I rode a ninja for the first time a few weeks ago. I really liked the twin over the single. My bike has rattled in the midrange from day one. Honda has not got back to the dealer yet as to the cause. Matbe there still trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
About 1/2 the people with one complain of loud, annoying rattling noise in the middle of the RPM range.

When you talk to the dealers can you ask them what they say about it, and can they contact Honda to get the 'official' line on it before you buy it.

I've mine for 8 1/2 months now, with 14,000km on it, it's a great bike but if I could go back I think I would have gone for the ninja, it's simply a much better build and quality of bike.

Honda seem to have been ignoring the problem that 1/2 the bikes seem to suffer from, and I think will continue to until possible customers want clarification on what it is before they buy them.

Thanks.
Too bad about your rattle. What's your source that 1/2 the bikes have a rattle? Numerous reviews did not mention it. You'd think 1/2 the reviews would mention the rattle if 1/2 the bikes had it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Too bad about your rattle. What's your source that 1/2 the bikes have a rattle? Numerous reviews did not mention it. You'd think 1/2 the reviews would mention the rattle if 1/2 the bikes had it.

umm have you not noticed pretty much most people on this forum alone have the problem?

i do.

·
Registered
681 Posts
^ I don't.

Just because 20 people post in a topic, it doesn't mean it's happening to half the people. This forum has almost 1200 members. I can't point out countless owners that don't have the problem too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do and it's very annoying. It's not just the middle of the rev range either. I get it pretty low and high as well. It's very pronounced and I just got my 600 mile service today.

I'm very disappointed in the bike.

HOWEVER, I know more than a few people still riding 30 year old CB650s which had a similar rattle and they're still going. I know it'll probably run forever, but the rattle in the CB650 never bugged me as much as this one does. It sounds like there's something very wrong with the engine.

I mentioned it to the tech today and he said it wasn't anything to worry about . . . doesn't make me feel any better about my purchase tho.

UPDATE: After posting this I inspected the farings of my bike and noticed one screw that held them on was very loose(halfway out). I put some thread locker on it and snugged it up along with a few other faring screws. Rattle is completely gone. It definitely sounded like it was coming from the engine, but it was just a loose faring. VERY HAPPY with the bike now!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Its a single cylinder motorcycle.

Said it right there on the sales brochure.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
8 1/2 months? and what location did you buy your 250?
Thailand. Bought Dec 2010.

I mentioned it to the tech today and he said it wasn't anything to worry about.
So the next question to him should be 'Then what exactly is it?'

If they can say that it's nothing to worry about they must obviously know what it is and where it's coming from? Please ask them next time you're talking with them.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
;)
Did you very have your bike reshimed? Most of the people I know that are having the "ratteling" issue never had there first check up done at a Honda dealer and or didn't have there clearences checked. Just a thought hope it helps.
Yes, shims and clearances checked.

From being active in various CBR250R forums, from all different regions since last Year, around half the active posters complain of suffereng from it.

From the active posters that chose to participate in this poll on here it's 11-9 out of 20 voters.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/honda-cbr250-general-discussion/803-poll-does-your-cbr250r-have-rattle-noise-5500rpm.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had my CBR since may, and I have yet to hear this rattle. On the other hand, I wear foam earplugs that make everything extremely silent. I can't imagine riding without ear plugs.. I want to hear when I am 60.

Does this rattle affect performance? Perhaps it is a normal thing? Can you hear the rattle while wearing ear plugs?

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't affect performance.

Many people say that they opt to upshift earlier than they usually would as it kicks in 500-1000rpm before they would, so upshift early when it just kicks in as it's an annoying sound to hear. So it does seem to affect how many people end up riding the bike (and not for the better).

·
Registered
33 Posts
my bike rattles when riding in 6th gear at 20km/h. is that normal? :p

on a more serious note; i think people should upshift quite early as the engine gets kinda noisy on mid-high RPM. ofc, it is "cool" and all the 650cc riders like to upshift late to let people know that they are there. but that's not my style

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've only had mine for a short time, and I'm about 1/2 through the break-in. It's hard to avoid noticing the posts about the rattle - almost as hard to avoid the posts about aftermarket exhausts. Thus, I've been paying a lot of attention to the engine sounds.

The engine noises I've experienced have been, in my untrained and relatively unexperienced opinion, completely acceptable, and fall within my expectations for a little thumper...until a few days ago.

My commute home started with a few minutes at "local" speeds, say 15 to 20 mph navigating the large acreage of my employer, followed by a minute of 45 to 50 to reach the edge of town, and then four or five minutes at 55 to 60 before slowing for the next town.

As I began to slow down, the engine sound changed fairly dramatically. The character of the noise was the same, but the volume of the rattle was probably 2 or 3 times what I had come to accept as normal. This remained true for the few minutes driving through that town. This loud rattle was suffered in gears 3 through 5, whenever the rpms got to about 5000 - 6000. At the higher volume and more continuous frequency, I perceive the sound as "marbles in a blender". Eventually, I returned to highway speed to complete the trip home. My memory is fading about if or when the noise abated during the remainder of that trip.

I've commuted again since then, and the "high volume" noise hasn't recurred.

It was pretty easy to dismiss the complaints of an engine rattle before this experience, but if those posting these reports suffer from the type of noise I temporarily experienced on that trip, I completely understand their concern and frustration. I myself wondered what somebody on the sidewalk must think as I passed by - probably "something's wrong with that POS".

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
OMG! the sky is falling! lol.

maybe yours has just been 'Redline'd' too much haha.. that or you're the National advertising manager for Kawasaki.

Seriously if you dont like this cheap affordable bike.. sell it... or burn it.. or just ride it till the wheels fall off.
Enough of this scare campaign.
Aussie press would be one of the hardest in the world.. guess what?? no rattles reported.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Copied over from reply in the Poll

Ha HA this is hilarious. Thank you Redline you have made my day.

On a serious note Honda of Thailand should be finished with their run producing 2011 CBR250R's and moving on to the 2012's. The Thailand plant was estimated to have produced 60,000 of these units in 2011 for worldwide distribution.

...and you have started a poll and got around 15 positves and one from Thailand. Well it's conclusive, this bike is junk. :rolleyes:

Forgive me my sarcasim but some one needs to start putting things in perspective. If my bike developes this noise I would be let down too... but when we are in this price range you have to admit this can almost be looked at as a disposable bike. Don't misunderstand, I love my bike, so much so I will probably keep it after I buy a second one to get the ABS if my dealer can ever get it. After all, we all have a 2nd pair of gloves and such in case they get drenched in the rain... why not another bike in case something happens to the first? :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
NO rattle here

I've had my CBR for over 2 months now and i've never experienced the rattle you are talking about. I've got almost 1800 miles on it and on a normal day i'm cruising interstate, back roads, neighborhood, and downtown so i'm taking it through the driving gauntlet

1 - 20 of 25 Posts