Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Fix or not to fix for $1031.32

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TGIF all,

So to make this story short, I was an idiot and got into a crash. Luckily, i wasn't injured, but my CBR250r 2011 was damaged pretty badly and insurance won't cover anything. I just got the estimate back today to repair for $1031.32.

Can you give me opinions on whether it's worth it to fix?
Or if I should sell it as is and for how much. It is ride-able.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Definitely not worth it. I have a pristine 2011 CBR and I'd be lucky to get a grand for it in a private sale and even less as a trade in. I love my CBR250R, but I'd never kid myself that it's worth much in today's market, so I'll just continue to ride the rims off it.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
138 Posts
TGIF all,

So to make this story short, I was an idiot and got into a crash. Luckily, i wasn't injured, but my CBR250r 2011 was damaged pretty badly and insurance won't cover anything. I just got the estimate back today to repair for $1031.32.

Or if I should sell it as is and for how much. It is ride-able.

Thanks in advance!
Mersine It seems to me that you received an offer according to the book, even at a fair price.
What is the CBR year? 2013
How many miles?
How would you define the condition of the chassis and engine+Gearbox?
You have confidence in the mechanic?

Assuming the motorcycle is in good condition, and that all that is damaged are the parts of the list you presented:
The First Option is to fix it. Try to check with the mechanic about the possibility of recycling parts, maybe straighten some of them, and maybe buy some of them second hand. It can cut the price in half.

The Second Option is to fix it as well... provided you have good tools and hands, repair it on your own, and what can be repaired or straightened you will be repair or straightene it. Part that you can buy in second hand, you will buy it from second hand. It will cost you a quarter of the offer you received, maybe even less.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You should check the frame and fork before you do anything. If they're damaged you'll just be throwing money away. It doesn't take much of a crash to total a 250. I low-sided a Ninja 250 at low speed and it still trashed the frame and was declared a total loss by my insurance company (luckily i had full boat and just had the dealer deliver a new one with the insurance check while I was still in my cast.) Straightening a bent frame can get expensive. Know what you're getting into before you start spending on parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely not worth it. I have a pristine 2011 CBR and I'd be lucky to get a grand for it in a private sale and even less as a trade in. I love my CBR250R, but I'd never kid myself that it's worth much in today's market, so I'll just continue to ride the rims off it.
Thanks for your input. Yea, I figure the resale value will be very low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mersine It seems to me that you received an offer according to the book, even at a fair price.
What is the CBR year? 2013
How many miles?
How would you define the condition of the chassis and engine+Gearbox?
You have confidence in the mechanic?

Assuming the motorcycle is in good condition, and that all that is damaged are the parts of the list you presented:
The First Option is to fix it. Try to check with the mechanic about the possibility of recycling parts, maybe straighten some of them, and maybe buy some of them second hand. It can cut the price in half.

The Second Option is to fix it as well... provided you have good tools and hands, repair it on your own, and what can be repaired or straightened you will be repair or straightene it. Part that you can buy in second hand, you will buy it from second hand. It will cost you a quarter of the offer you received, maybe even less.
  • It is year 2011 with one previous owner.
  • 11k miles mostly put on by me over 6 years of ownership. This is my daily driver and I've done a long road trip from San Diego to San Francisco on highway 1 and 101 and back before.
  • the guts are solid.
  • the reviews of the mechanic are very high.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should check the frame and fork before you do anything. If they're damaged you'll just be throwing money away. It doesn't take much of a crash to total a 250. I low-sided a Ninja 250 at low speed and it still trashed the frame and was declared a total loss by my insurance company (luckily i had full boat and just had the dealer deliver a new one with the insurance check while I was still in my cast.) Straightening a bent frame can get expensive. Know what you're getting into before you start spending on parts.
Thanks, yes I asked the mechanic to make sure the frame and fork are fine and nothing was found wrong there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a pristine 2011 CBR and I'd be lucky to get a grand for it in a private sale and even less as a trade in.
You are right.
So my suggestion is to ask the garage to lower costs, there is No Point in repairing a motorcycle from 2011, and bring it to a new condition as like it has just left the factory. You can repair at 500 USD, maybe less: Restore parts that can be restored, buy used parts, using zippers, improvising connections... If the mechanic is an artist the repair can come out very nicely:
A motorcycle that will return to the road and look reasonable for its age.

• It is year 2011 with one previous owner.
  • 11k miles mostly put on by me over 6 years of ownership. This is my daily driver and I've done a long road trip from San Diego to San Francisco on highway 1 and 101 and back before.
  • the guts are solid.
  • the reviews of the mechanic are very high.
(y)(y)(y)
I asked the mechanic to make sure the frame and fork are fine and nothing was found wrong there.
(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
138 Posts
2011 CBR and I'd be lucky to get a grand for it in a private sale and even less as a trade in.
#2 What are the alternatives?
Even when buying an old motorcycle in "grand", then you have to pay for a relatively expensive first treatment, tires, fluid replacement, brake pads, etc ... It is already better to invest a similar amount in a motorcycle that you know is in excellent general condition.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an idea, I'm not sure it will work... Make the motorcycle naked. Honda has left you room for generic mirrors on the handlebars, and all you have to do is grab a generic round headlight, the current instrument panel, current signal lights and current tilt angle detector, without the windshield, grab them to the chassis with connecting strips, and the subject can be closed on a ridiculous budget. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Probably not worth buying all the factory replacement parts, but you could look for used parts or go "naked" if you don't mind doing some fabrication work for a headlight and gauge mounts.

The estimate of $1000 seems low for replacement with new OEM parts and labor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts