Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
For most vehicles, getting from 100 to 0 is much faster than going from 0 to 100. Not only that, you have to be in the right gear to be able to accellerate quickly out of situations.
I'd support braking or swerving instead of accelerating out of trouble... because in the many occasions I accelerated out I found myself jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Braking on the other hand...
Well I think maybe I'd much rather end up hoodsurfing rather than underneath someone's car or rear ending someone.

I've 2 bikes now, and so far the larger bike has nearly caused me to crash more times than the CBR.
Really have to be careful with handling all that power and weight.

·
Registered
514 Posts
you have to be in the right gear to be able to accellerate quickly out of situations.
I'd support braking or swerving instead of accelerating out of trouble...

Braking on the other hand...
Well I think maybe I'd much rather end up hoodsurfing rather than underneath someone's car or rear ending someone.

I've 2 bikes now, and so far the larger bike has nearly caused me to crash more times than the CBR.
Really have to be careful with handling all that power and weight.
Accelerating or braking depends for me on the differences in speed, in the first case.

If I would cruise, passing bye in very slow mode, which I wouldn't call overtaking, there it may be better to brake.

But in case I'm overtaking, which means at real higher speed as the other vehicle, braking can keep you in, or even bring you back in the area, where the collision can occur.

For bikes it's about 4m longer, as the vehicle, we pass. 2m on every side.
Do the math, intuitive

Note: Swerving is not a either/or option for me. In both cases, braking or accelerating, it is a 'and' option, to one of the other two.
Getting as far to the side, as possible, getting distance between you and the killer. Swerving can get you even the space, to pass the other vehicle, if it comes over in total.
Unlucky it is, in case you are not really overtaking, here in Thailand, it can be, that braking without looking into the mirror first, gets you on the road, too. Someone may just wanted to overtake you

Midgeinc mentioned it.

Here a turning red light just 20m in front means not, to stop straight.
It means you have to check, if someone behind you, in special with a yellow or green plate, or a expensive import car, or a concrete truck, a garbage truck, all kind of busses (mostly yellow plated ;-), a police pickup, a police motorcycle, ....., is still thinking, that the convoy over the red traffic light is still a ongoing process
Short: The first 5 secs of red its mostly still ongoing traffic.
So be carefull, who's behind you.
Knowing, who has green next, helps with the decission.
Also tha mostly motos are the first vehicles coming in the next green phase. Thats why truck/busses alike are not really thinking about braking for red. A moto, they wouldn't, oopsi, dead!
Actually, you should always have an overview. Only disapearing vehicles are safe! Everything, that comes closer, which direction is not important, is a threat!
>:)

Someone wrote, honking gets sometimes strange reactions.
Out of my experience, the reactions always are:
No reaction
Stopping of moving into the lane any further
and, (mostly with the drivers here), b/c many really don't know, where in the road they are, who is/was around, how far away they are from the side:
They move back into the other lane, where they started.
That's the best reaction. they 're terrified, it could be a car, they haven't seen

But not for a moto spueaker, of course!

The thing you experience with the bigger bike is so true.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Lots of solid information and thought here. I appreciate all the replies.
In response to one of the more commons ones, yes, I should've been quicker to accelerate around the driver. I mean, I thought I was overtaking him at a decent enough rate, but I can't just assume people are aware of my presence.
Also, I believe there was another car a ways ahead of him that he was coming up on, but I can't remember for sure.
I know there was also another car behind him as well. I'm sure they saw the whole thing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
^ At the end of the day. A accident was prevented and another lesson was learned mate. We all make mistakes. The important thing is that we learn from them :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Was there a slower vehicle in front of the car you were trying to pass? Why did he try to change lanes?
I was wondering the same thing. Was there an obstacle ahead in the driver's lane? Was the driver also pulling out to pass slower moving traffic?

·
Registered
61 Posts
At that kind of speed, acceleration would not be instantaneous for any cc bike, so 600cc or larger cc bike would not have made any difference. From the moment you see someone crossing into your lane to when the vehicle hits you happens in matter of a second. From around 70 mph it takes quite a bit of time to accelerate for any cc bikes. The best course of action, and the fastest, would have been to swerve away or to slow down.

However, if you need a motive to get a larger cc bike, just go for it. You don't have to ride a 250cc bike.
I agree that accelerating into the turning car is not the best option.
However, I do think there are plenty of bikes that could accelerate very hard from 70. My FZ1 could with one downshift and it was not the fastes bike around.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
However, I do think there are plenty of bikes that could accelerate very hard from 70. My FZ1 could with one downshift and it was not the fastes bike around.
What version do you have? I thought FZ1s have ~150HP and use a tamed version of the R1's engine. That's pretty much the top end of the scale if you ask me.:confused:

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Was there an obstacle ahead in the driver's lane? Was the driver also pulling out to pass slower moving traffic?
Guess he's not saying. Many of the motorcycle wrecks and near misses I see being discussed on sport bike forums are at least 50% the fault of the rider himself being impatient or getting in a rush.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree that accelerating into the turning car is not the best option.

My other bike is a MV Agusta, so I know what you mean by strong acceleration. Whereas the Honda would only go from 70 to 90 mph, on other bikes, you can potentially go from 70 to 150+ mph with relative ease.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Guess he's not saying. Many of the motorcycle wrecks and near misses I see being discussed on sport bike forums are at least 50% the fault of the rider himself being impatient or getting in a rush.
So true!

It only depends, what you like better.
You wanna get killed, by doing everything right?
Or do you wanna get killed, knowing it was (big) part your fault?
Dont let the important things in your life be only in the hands of others.

>:)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I don't want to get killed at all. If I am coming up on traffic and think the car in front of me might want to change lanes to pass a car that he is coming up on, I will just slow down and follow along in the slow lane until I get a good idea of what is happening. Don't get in a rush. The whole common bike culture that thinks they have to ride +10 mph over the surounding traffic at all times are making their own problems. No wonder they think they need a big engine "to get out of trouble".

·
Registered
514 Posts
I guess, you won't travel for some time in the blindspot aside a car then, would you?
Because this is the biggest chance/fault, to get in trouble with the said car.
Out of my experience, there is no such thing, to understand always, why someone changes a lane.
The one is doing it 100m before another car in his lane, the other is changing now, because he wanna turn in about 500m.
It's not always obvious because of the next car is 10 or 20m in front.

The problem is the unawarness of another vehicle aside.

Plus the (no) view over the shoulder.
Or being distracted, talking on the phone, having discussions, being thoughtlessly, whatever.

There are only 2 positions safe, incase a car is driving in the next lane, at cruising speed or above.
Both let you see the lights, one time the backlights, the other time the frontlights in the mirrors.

Or shorter:
You wanna pass a car, do it quick.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
2 months ago I picked up a new bike and had to put as many miles on it as I could in the short space of a week, befoere it was prepared for the track.

I hadn't ridden a bike in the city for many years, (I live 500km away in a remote quiet coastal town)

Perth had changed with a population over 2 million ppl, double the size it used to be when I last rode there.
But I was stuck up there for few weeks so no option top get out into the country to breathe (I hate cities)

found I had to keep moving, see a gap, go for it, into the next the next and the next,
NEVER sit beside a car, or same speed as the traffic.

*And please USA riders , don't tell me Cars are 'faster' in your country and 250s 'cant go on the highway' 250's do the ton no problem.

If you want a bigger bike, buy a bigger bike,
but don't justify needing it in the name of safety,

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
*And please USA riders , don't tell me Cars are 'faster' in your country and 250s 'cant go on the highway' 250's do the ton no problem.
I will no longer ride on limited-access highways outside of the city. I do it in the city with reservations, but at least when the speed limit is 50 MPH (going through the downtown area) I can keep up with the fastest "normal" traffic. There are always the people that must be late to a very important meeting...

After a recent ride out of the city on the Interstate Highway, where the speed limit is 70 MPH, I found I could not keep up the pace at 85, and it was not pleasant "poking along" at 70. Even the slow lane is going faster than that.

Upcoming ~500 mile trip one way, I am taking NO limited access roads, not even the streets through Indianapolis (I don't think...).
And I am splitting the ride into two days each way so I can take my time on the smaller roads and have fun.
I don't find riding the interstates much fun at all, so that is why I don't need a larger bike.

"Be Here Now" - Ram Dass

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
It must be dangerous in countries where lane splitting is illegal.

so retarded to not allow bikes to do it.,

·
Registered
90 Posts
*And please USA riders , don't tell me Cars are 'faster' in your country and 250s 'cant go on the highway' 250's do the ton no problem.,
As an American, I will actually help your argument.:grin2:
The only cars that are faster usually have some sort of horse or bull on the hood. They should be faster. I do 45 miles of highway on my 250 commuting to work; each way, every day. I have no complaints other than my 250 lacks the coffee cup holder my BMW had.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It must be dangerous in countries where lane splitting is illegal.

so retarded to not allow bikes to do it.,
Not at all, over here the Autobahn is the safest place to be in traffic and we can't lane split. I've also never felt the need to do so and would even consider it dangerous. On the other hand we have to drive on the right most lane when we don't overtake and have to be left of the vehicles we overtake. That means that trucks are usually in the right lane, normal car traffic in the center lane and the faster vehicles in the left lane. That makes overtaking pretty easy and safe as you don't have cars swerving left and right around you.

If you watch motorcycle crashes on youtube you'll see that a large amount of crashes happen during lane splitting (though I don't know whether lane splitting is illegal in Russia where most of those videos come from, if it is illegal then it explains why so many cars are oblivious to the riders splitting lanes.).

21 - 40 of 60 Posts