Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally dropped off my bike earlier today for a full service (...and installation of some new pirelli tires) at ~5000 miles. I skipped the 600mile and 4k mile services so the valves were never adjusted. I did all other maintenance myself. Ima pick it up tomorrow and I will let you guys know how it turns out and if I feel any difference in performance. I'm curious about the valves needing adjustment, would that affect fuel efficiency?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Well, I finally dropped off my bike earlier today for a full service (...and installation of some new pirelli tires) at ~5000 miles. I skipped the 600mile and 4k mile services so the valves were never adjusted. I did all other maintenance myself. Ima pick it up tomorrow and I will let you guys know how it turns out and if I feel any difference in performance. I'm curious about the valves needing adjustment, would that affect fuel efficiency?
Not sure but I guess it would if it were significantly out of adjustment. I didn't take a bike in for it's valve adjustment until 12,000 once and it wasn't out of adjustment. It was a Suzuki Bandit using shims/buckets the same as our CBRs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Cytochromec - Mine required the SHIMs to be changed only around 10000 mi (16000 Km), until then, it was touch wood. Right now its 14000 mi (22500 Km) & have been riding as the SHIM changes are not required as per Honda's manual & it was confirmed to me by Honda ASC. Not sure if I'd caused any significant damages on the cams or anything!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
all 4 of my valves were tight at 616 miles, glad i got mine checked. no burnt valves for me. Wont worry about for 15,500 miles now.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good. I just hit 925 mi tonight and have been busy with school. Gotta find time to get valves checked. Bleh.

·
Registered
240 Posts
In my manual is say next valve check at 16,000 miles. I live in Idaho, USA. your country may be different.
That number sounds AWESOME; wondering why there's such a huge disparity when Honda says "Sports Quarter For One World" with a minor differences in the vehicles sold between the two countries :confused:

Here the valve clearance check is...hold your breath...6K km or 3750 miles :mad: They say, CHECK & REPLACE if necessary :mad:

·
Registered
534 Posts
^That's crazy! I wonder why they do that?? Mine (US version) says 16,000 miles after the intial 600 mile one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
****, I forgot to follow this up. Anyway, valves did not need any adjustment, things were in order. He said that some CBR250s were way off and some were solid, his guess was certain assembly lines were done better. Anyway, I was thinking to myself, well **** that was a waste of money but....I get normal mpg now. Its a month removed and I get 65mpg same riding style (over the last ~1500miles) as opposed to a consistent 55mpg for the first 5000+ miles I rode the bike. I dunno wtf they did though, if anything. Maybe its my new tires? Can they really make that much of a difference in mpg (I know handling is dramatically different)? Whateva, Im happpy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's good to get a service every 5000km

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
****, I forgot to follow this up. Anyway, valves did not need any adjustment, things were in order. He said that some CBR250s were way off and some were solid, his guess was certain assembly lines were done better. Anyway, I was thinking to myself, well **** that was a waste of money but....I get normal mpg now. Its a month removed and I get 65mpg same riding style (over the last ~1500miles) as opposed to a consistent 55mpg for the first 5000+ miles I rode the bike. I dunno wtf they did though, if anything. Maybe its my new tires? Can they really make that much of a difference in mpg (I know handling is dramatically different)? Whateva, Im happpy.
New tires would not account for an increase of 10 MPG, and if valve clearance was not adjusted, that wouldn't account for it either. You say your riding style hasn't changed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts