Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, this past weekend loaded the bikes up and drove up to Thunderhill in Willows CA for a track day on the new CBR and the olddd VFR. Weather was awesome at around low 90s the whole day. Started off the first half of the day riding the VFR and ended the last few sessions on the CBR. Now the VFR is my baby, but whoa was the CBR fun! Mixed some 101 octane race gas 50/50 with 91 pump gas and took her out! Now we all know that the 250 has nothing going down the straights, but in the turns it was on rails! I was surprised at how well the stock Dunlops stuck through the turns, and was never doubting them. Bike ran perfectly (with me occasionally hitting the rev limiter, oops) and was a blast at the track. The 250 had plently of torque through the turns, i even passed a person on a R1 and a GSXR600, (granted they were probably new to the track.) As expected every other bike out there blew by me on the straights but i did the best i could! :D After a few sessions out i was able to lap consistantly at about 2:35, and on my VFR 750 i was able to lap at my usual pace of around 2:17 (I drag a knee in most corners on that. Surprising huh? a VFR!) . The VFR was in B+ group (2:15-2:25) and the CBR in the B- group (2:25-2:45), (A pace is 1:55-2:15) Overall had a great day rolling rubber. Below i have some pictures of the bikes and also a link to the website of the photographer who took some on track pictures. I cant link them directly because there just too **** expensive. Look for the VFR and the CBR. Link to website with track pics,their mixed in with all the hondas:

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web110725/h/index.html

The VFR has OHLINS in the front now, this is a older picture

These pictures were taken the night I came back, sorry their bad quality.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks so much for this report! I consider the CBR250 to essentially be a small 2011 VFR1200, sort of a VFR250R; to see what I mean look at the pics of the 2011 VFR1200, its RAKE angle, frame geometry, etc..
Glad to hear it can hold its own on the track!

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
The stock tyres on the CBR250 are Dunlops in America??

They look identical to the stock tyres here in Thailand that are branded IRC?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What was your top speed vs. rpm? Was there a long enough straight to get the bike to top out?
not sure about the RPM because i had to pull the 2 fuses for the headlight and tailights (requirement for the track) which killed the gauges but yes the track has a decent back straight and a pretty long front straight, long enough for the bike to be completely topped out in 6th

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The stock tyres on the CBR250 are Dunlops in America??

They look identical to the stock tyres here in Thailand that are branded IRC?
whoops! your right they are IRC's my mistake. but either way they got nice and hot and gummy and stuck very well for stock tires :D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Gearing

not sure about the RPM because i had to pull the 2 fuses for the headlight and tailights (requirement for the track) which killed the gauges but yes the track has a decent back straight and a pretty long front straight, long enough for the bike to be completely topped out in 6th
I was just wondering if longer gearing would increase top speed by moving the top out rpm down to 8700 to coincide with the horsepower peak.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Spike?

Interesting idea. I can't see why it wouldn't work. But it might put a unwanted spike in your powerband
Spike? This wouldn't change the power band. Just the speed versus rpm so all of your upshifts would come later and you would gain top speed and keep you off of the rev limiter at the places you were hitting it before.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Spike? This wouldn't change the power band. Just the speed versus rpm so all of your upshifts would come later and you would gain top speed and keep you off of the rev limiter at the places you were hitting it before.
Oh. Couldn't you just change your chain and sprockets? To get desired effect?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts