Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Got the topbox installed. I took a chance that the silver colors would match up. Not too bad. As I had imagined, this thing is big, this thing is ugly, but it promises to be very practical.. it's just begging for a trip to the grocery store :)

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sweet Jeebuz that thing is sitting high! I hope you don't put more than a couple bags of cheeto's in there!

I've got a V46 sitting here for my FJR and toyed with mounting it up on the CBR. After seeing that, I'm gonna pass.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sweet Jeebuz that thing is sitting high! I hope you don't put more than a couple bags of cheeto's in there!

I've got a V46 sitting here for my FJR and toyed with mounting it up on the CBR. After seeing that, I'm gonna pass.
Yeah, the high rack hoists it up there. For urban, commute and cruising duty I don't expect any problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dammit! I tried to order one of these, and they said their out of stock (or backordered or something) for over a month, so no dice.

Anything else out there?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dammit! I tried to order one of these, and they said their out of stock (or backordered or something) for over a month, so no dice.

Anything else out there?
Which was out of stock: the E-52 topcase or the Rack ?

if it's the case, I'd try one of the other big GIVI cases,
if it's the japanese rack, then I'd try getting the GIVI branded one that someone else mentioned..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Which was out of stock: the E-52 topcase or the Rack ?

if it's the case, I'd try one of the other big GIVI cases,
if it's the japanese rack, then I'd try getting the GIVI branded one that someone else mentioned..
Yeah, there are plenty of cases to be had, it's the rack (GIVI or otherwise) that I can't find. I saw one of the same at a UK place, but they wouldn't ship to Canada.

Soooo.... I decided to make my own. Turns out the grab bars are surprisingly easy to drill into (with a titanium bit), and they're certainly solid enough to hold weight (d'uh). Now I've got something on the CBR250 that feels even more sturdy than the manufactured rack on my 125R. :D

Looks like crap, but had 40lbs in there yesterday and does just fine. Basically, I just took some sturdy/steel shelving brackets, clamped them onto the grab rail, and then drilled a few holes in the grab rail to bolt the bracket on. After that, the Givi-box plate just bolts right into the existing holes in the shelving bracket.

At the very least, it should hold until a *real* rack become available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
And now, my new top case Kappa 46 liters is installed with the support Givi. What do you think of my new bike ?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Basically, I just took some sturdy/steel shelving brackets, clamped them onto the grab rail, and then drilled a few holes in the grab rail to bolt the bracket on.

At the very least, it should hold until a *real* rack become available.
Nice job. I might keep an eye on the shelving brackets for fatigue failure. I stopped using them for accessory mounting after a number of them had failed and broken sometimes depositing my accessory onto the road. These incidents occurred when using them to mount accessories onto a Yamaha XS650, a real shaker. Maybe the CBR250 won't vibrate enough to affect them. Just a thought.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice job. I might keep an eye on the shelving brackets for fatigue failure. I stopped using them for accessory mounting after a number of them had failed and broken sometimes depositing my accessory onto the road. These incidents occurred when using them to mount accessories onto a Yamaha XS650, a real shaker. Maybe the CBR250 won't vibrate enough to affect them. Just a thought.
True, that is the weak point. I'm thinking I'll probably double-up on them eventually to head that off.

·
Registered
210 Posts
HONDA OEM rack broke, overloaded

"Support"? Don't need anything. Notice in the picture the Givi base-plate is not integrated into the rear carrier, it is BOLTED on. This is the setup I use, I've got a 55L liter Givi on my 250rABS. Just got back from COSTCO lastnight with a passenger on back, and the GIVI crammed full.. still cruising at 110kph smooth as silk.:)
Just be VERY careful, weighting that box will make this 160kg bike seriously top-heavy. On the kickstand the bike may tip over.

UPDATE, my $140 Honda rack broke. Admittedly I overloaded it, but the design concentrates stress on a flat metal bar instead of on a tube (which would NOT have broken). I will not buy that design again and instead I'm looking for a new seller.

·
Registered
152 Posts
UPDATE, my $140 Honda rack broke. Admittedly I overloaded it, but the design concentrates stress on a flat metal bar instead of on a tube (which would NOT have broken). I will not buy that design again and instead I'm looking for a new seller.
Yikes! How 'overloaded', if I may ask?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Alot of guys in Thailand are using Givi and Shad boxes on their CBRs.
I have a Givi on my scooter, but not on my CBR.
It's tough enough negotiating Bangkok traffic without a box.

·
Registered
278 Posts
since I have the same setup, I'm curious !
Did it break on a weld or did the actual flat piece fracture ?
The flat piece that bolts to the bike's subframe is pretty thick, I would have guessed that the weld could not hold (?)

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
In case anyone is interested in making their own rack (total cost = about $10) to support a universal Givi topcase, I did a few updates to my original 'rigging' to reinforce it and took some more pics afterwards:

This time I double-up on the brackets and moved them an inch forward to obtain better support from the grab bars:

The end result seems extremely stable. I can literally move the bike around when pulling or lifting up on the rack.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Update, I checked my rack yesterday and saw the fatigue cracks starting. That's it, it's finished. Don't know what other options are out there. My dealer suggested having some bracing welded onto the rack (that was before it was visibly crumbling)... Now that it's cracked I won't bother.

Until GIVI or someone imports or makes a rack available in the US, I may try sawing off the arms from the rack top and bolting that directly onto the stock grab handles..

I'm glad that the rack didn't fail while I was on vacation 1,000 miles from home !

21 - 40 of 156 Posts