Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm Michael S. and I'm a 1st time user here. I would like to know if anyone knows the torque specs for both the clutch springs as well as the clutch cover. I believe they're about 8 or 9 inch pounds but would like to confirm. I've stripped enough crank-cases to know it's not something I should guess.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
318 Posts
anyone knows the torque specs for both the clutch springs as well as the clutch cover.
Honda's service book "knows":
The five screws for tightening the springs in the clutch: 12Nm
2. Tighten the right crankcase bolts (x12) in a crisscross pattern in 2 or 3 steps (NO torque was specified in the book)

Please, If you are making repairs by yourself, you must have the appropriate professional literature. Buy yourself the two books, Honda's service book, and Haynes book, it's a very good investment.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm Michael S. and I'm a 1st time user here. I would like to know if anyone knows the torque specs for both the clutch springs as well as the clutch cover. I believe they're about 8 or 9 inch pounds but would like to confirm. I've stripped enough crank-cases to know it's not something I should guess.
I would say it's best to just snug them down with a 1/4-drive ratchet and not use a torque wrench.

There are times when a torque wrench just doesn't work well, and on small bolts you can easily snap them before it "clicks".

Use a cross-pattern, and add torque evenly until they are all "snug" would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The clicker type torque wrenches are tricky at low torques. Even small 1/4" ones don't really "click" at low torques, just kinda break and give. Better to use beam type with needle pointer or new fangled digital readout models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honda's service book "knows":
The five screws for tightening the springs in the clutch: 12Nm
2. Tighten the right crankcase bolts (x12) in a crisscross pattern in 2 or 3 steps (NO torque was specified in the book)

Please, If you are making repairs by yourself, you must have the appropriate professional literature. Buy yourself the two books, Honda's service book, and Haynes book, it's a very good investment.
Appreciate it Tamir! Yeah, I always buy a book with each vehicle. Shipping will be another 2 weeks or so and the problem I have I'd like to take care of now.

As for the spring screws, you sure that's Nm and not inch pounds?

·
Registered
318 Posts
As for the spring screws, you sure that's Nm and not inch pounds?
I did not buy a torque wrench for the reason that my friends mentioned above.
To tighten the steering bearings I used a do-it-yourself torque wrench, there I was using luggage weights(LINK)
Even a good, high-quality torque wrench is not user errors proof, or problems of calibration, etc.
The 12Nm figure is what is written in the Honda's technical book P. 10-2, 10-3, 10-16, 10-18 (I personally tightened it without a torque wrench).
Yes Or No torque wrench? It's a question of budget, but also not a complete substitute for common sense as in the case I had here: LINK.
Black Organism Gesture Art Font

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not buy a torque wrench for the reason that my friends mentioned above.
To tighten the steering bearings I used a do-it-yourself torque wrench, there I was using luggage weights(LINK)
Even a good, high-quality torque wrench is not user errors proof, or problems of calibration, etc.
The 12Nm figure is what is written in the Honda's technical book P. 10-2, 10-3, 10-16, 10-18 (I personally tightened it without a torque wrench).
Yes Or No torque wrench? It's a question of budget, but also not a complete substitute for common sense as in the case I had here: LINK.
I have pretty much every type of torque wrench they make and I use them every time. After trying to repair an aluminum engine suzuki and destroying it, I swore I'd never go without again.

Yeah, clear as day, 12Nm. I had no idea the springs required that much compression. I believe the oil filter cover was 9in/lbs so I would expect the clutch cover to be the same. Thanks for taking the time to take a photo of the diagram with the specs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have pretty much every type of torque wrench they make and I use them every time. After trying to repair an aluminum engine suzuki and destroying it, I swore I'd never go without again.
If you possess torque wrench full set then it is clear that you are the number one expert to use them, and the disadvantages for me, are your advantages. Who has a toolbox that has a torque wrench full set like yours he is blessed(y)

I believe the oil filter cover was 9in/lbs
NO torque was specified for the oil filter cover bolts in the Honda's service book.

For REF:
1. 9lb-In = 1.17Nm ? ? ? Not 12Nm. 9lb-ft = 12.2Nm
2. In Haynes book No'4926 for the Honda Innova 125i they (Haynes) recommend 12Nm for tightening two halves of the crankcase cover, M6 Flange. (P. 2*46, Middle column)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts