Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that comparisons between the Ninja 250 and the CBR250R will begin as soon as the first CBRs reach owners. How do you guys think the comparisons will go? To me, it comes down to what's more important; horsepower or torque. The honda will make more torque, but the kawasaki more horsepower. Granted, we're talking pretty small amounts here but it's pretty important to the new rider.

Personally, I'd choose torque over HP since that's what you use more often anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know. With bikes like these you're constantly revving it so high anyway. I would think horsepower is more important at high rpm than torque. So in that case, maybe the Kawi is a better bike?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know. With bikes like these you're constantly revving it so high anyway. I would think horsepower is more important at high rpm than torque. So in that case, maybe the Kawi is a better bike?

For some people it will be. Depends on what you want. Honda has EFI, better power in a usable range where the Ninja is weak by comparison. The Ninja wakes up at higher rpm and eventually is faster by 10% or so.

The big question is how much can you "wake up" a CBR with a pipe and intake mods and will it retain or even increase its midrange while upping hp?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Ninja 250R absolutely is better! ... depending on how you define better!

Then again, if your definition is different, the CBR250R is better!

;)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Kawasaki gets 1st place in performance. Its faster in 1/4 mile and top end. But not enough to make me want one, ill still stick with the honda

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would say the ninja 250 is better go fast bike, with the 2 Cylinder Motor + the carb.

Where as the honda CBR 250 Single Cylinder motor with EFI has the torque available @ low rpm's making it a easier city bike, with less top speed and better MPG rating.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Torque > Horsepower. From a stand still to whatever speed, you need Torque. Horsepower is good if you want power at higher speeds and like what OP said....
Torque is what you use more often.

Even tho the CBR250R Torque is higher then the Kawasaki, but HP is the other way around.....these 2 sort of even themselves out. I'm a Honda guy, CBR250R all the way

·
281 Posts
Which one has better performance will depend on what you want the most. The K bike will have higher top speed and acceleration at higher speeds. The CBR is designed for better performance at low and mid speeds...and will have better acceleration of the line. And the CBR does everything at a lower rpm so seems not so busy and high strung. Motorcycle Consumer News , in their April issue, does an outstanding comparison test..the first I've seen so far. They favor the Honda in almost every category...but acknowledge that the Kawasaki 250 is still a great bike.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd rather have more toruqe as my disposal than power. better for just daily driving and over taking people and just makes it easier on the throttle, instead of waiting for the speed you need to over take, with torque your just able to go .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honda has more useable power at mid rpm range. I doubt I would be revving the Kawi high enough to actually notice a difference. So definitely Honda for me.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
For high speed jollies, multi cylinder high revving horsepower is a great buzz.

For economical day to day use on the road a wide spread of torque, kicking in at low revs is the business. That is where a single shines.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Single cylinder for the easy or use the easy usable torque band. and just everyday fun with the cbr250. no need for super 1L bikes !

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would say Torque too, i dont have the cbr250 yet, i have the cbr125rw - im satisfied with speed on it, but i miss juuust a bit more torque
I know a 170cc on mine would do it, but to many problems with that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Torque at lower rpm

Burn's article in April's CycleWorld (great read) makes it clear the Honda is better 90% of the time when you're cruising around town. It is Torque that lets you pull away ahead of the autos w/o revving to the moon. You can do it on the Kaw but you will be twisting a lot more throttle, and as Burn's puts it, with "a lot more drama." Don't drag race the Ninja; it can beat you in the quarter and at top speed. Race one on the twisty road, and if you have the skill you can "eke away from it corner by corner." (Burns) He writes that the "CBR just plain works better everywhere." I want mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts