Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here in Thailand if we run out of fuel or break down we usually get a push to a petrol station or workshop. By a push I mean someone rides another bike behind the broken down bike and extends his or her foot to push on the end of its muffler. It is not difficult to do safely in heavy traffic at speeds of 60 or 70 km/hr.

Any rider of moderate skill can manage it, even two or three up on each bike, even after a few drinks or tokes, or a tab of ya ba (aka crazy drug, or amphetamine to be technical). For that reason Honda decided to cut costs by not installing a tow bar

However, there is a bit of a problem when it is wet. Then flip flops tend to slip on the muffler.

It would be much be better to have a tow bar for wet conditions. Does anybody know of an aftermarket manufacturer who can supply one?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Bahahahahahaha Michael.

See the whole problem is in your attire.. go barefoot and your foot will stick to the muffler better.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Michael, I've already developed a better solution, one that's much less expensive and quicker to implement than a tow bar.

It also doesn't require that the operator need to learn new skills. This is a great advantage to large companies since it relieves them of the need to retrain their whole work force.

It comes as a package of four specially designed flip-flop positioning pins. They're crafted of aluminum which substantially reduces the performance loss that would occur because of the substantial weight penalty of a proper tow bar. Clearly, because of the size difference, the performance loss secondary to airflow drag is also much less than with a tow bar.

Notice in the photo below that our system provides four positioning pins instead of the three-pin systems used by others. Although one could make a point that the three pin system carries the advantage of 25% less weight than our four-pin system, we've found that the additional security of provided by a four-pin pattern easily compensates for the additional weight. Operator safety is a major concern of ours!

We've found that it takes the average operator less than two minutes to convert from dry weather flip-flop pushing to our wet weather system. He simply needs to pull over, pull the pins from the easily carried carrying tube and then insert the pins into his flip-flop.

The only instruction needed is to teach the operator which way the pins need to point. Although errors have been made, the pain of the sharp end of the pin penetration the sole of the foot quickly reminds the operator that a correction needs to be made.

The pins are available in several lengths to account for the varied thickness of flip-flops.

The fact that the operator can quickly choose different pin insertion patterns for each individual muffler opening makes it an easy system to stock. Having different SKU codes for each different motorcycle model would be cost prohibitive for the average Thai retailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
From a US perspective the Honda Rider's Club used to offer a sort of triple A for motorcycles but they gave that up. Too bad really because it would be a nice option to have if you broke down in the middle of BF nowhere - which describes most of my favorite places to ride.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Some turkey gobbling, some prick spitting tacks.... dey must tink I'm some kindda troll..... At last somebody acknowledging that this is a cereal issue.

C'mon ya'll. We need help here.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Michael, I can't help you if you so quickly dismiss a quiet elegant solution.

Flip-flops slipping off the end of the silencer when you're pushing in the wet? Stick four tacks through it in a pattern that will lock you to the opening on the silencer and you're golden!

You'd rather spend big bucks on a custom two bar that will suck performance from your bike? I'm dissappointed.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Don't be disappointed, especially as you are starting to talk sense.

Big bucks is fine, as long as it isn't so heavy that it sucks performance. Titanium might do the trick. We are, after all, talking farkles, though it may have some practical use.

That turkey who suggested bare feet hasn't got much idea. You know it could get a bit painful if to stick a big toe up the exhaust pipe, especially if it breaks the nail. I suppose steel toe-capped hobnail boots is a possibility, but they do come with quite a weight penalty. There would be a risk of denting the muffler too.

But in the end it comes down to the reality that in these tropical climes, flip flops are the preferred riding footwear.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, the bare foot idea certainly isn't going to be to the best solution for most!

I think we need to keep in mind that it's author, Aufitt, lives in Australia where Aboriginal people still live. Those guys never wear shoes and probably have feet tougher than Vibram soles.

He might not know that the feet of normal people are much more sensitive.

·
1,305 Posts
All this talf of tacks and flip flops is craziness.....
what if its winter... you could lose a toe to frost bite...

NOW... look no further then our friend Mr. Ducktape...
it even comes in a lot of different colours....

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All this talf of tacks and flip flops is craziness.....
what if its winter... you could lose a toe to frost bite...

NOW... look no further then our friend Mr. Ducktape...
it even comes in a lot of different colours....

Whatcha gonna do with that stuff?

Take up knitting and make socks of it. Not much call for them around these parts 24Cº (75Fº) is about as cold as it gets at night here. Daytime is normally over 30Cº (86Fº). Jack Frost never drops by here.

Maybe you had in mind to plait it into a tow-rope. Now that's a Top idea. With all that colour it would surely be a work of art

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Flip flops... meh... us aussies wear thongs.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Flip flops... meh... us aussies wear thongs.
Yeah, Jandals where I come from, but that would have the hoi polloi well befuddled.

Thongs are what women use to barely cover their bits. Dunno why they even bother. As my first girlfriend said, all that fancy underwear comes off in the end, so why put it on in the first place.

·
1,305 Posts
yeah i don't want to attempt to tow anything with my thong.....

:p

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i don't want to attempt to tow anything with my thong.....

:p
Why on earth not?

Here's a kinky idea; plait a tow-rope out of thongs. It could be a bit difficult to fit the Aussie version into the braid.

Still gonna need a tow bar though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts