Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spent decades on non-sports bikes, the little Honda CBR250R has become for me (at the freaking threshold of old age LOL) my introduction to sports bikes.

I am a reasonably experienced rider in a general sort of way (loads of trips and commutes) but was thinking track could really add some skills.

I have never done any track riding but now that I have this bike I thought I might try one day. The problem of course is that there are no tracks where I live or even within a day's striking distance, so it would be a pretty big commitment to go a few hundred k's to get to one.

What has been your experience? I welcome input from those who have grown up on the track (Auffit comes to mind), (or even those who like have never grown up) but would also love to hear from people like me who rode for years before getting on a track. What were the most marked changes in your riding style on the street?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I was just thinking this last month after first track day for years... bolted the indicators and stuff back on and went for a shakedown run to see how the bike was running, first corner at the end of the street without even thinking about it... led with my head and the bike followed, no braking required, balls of the feet high on the pegs, throttle round the corner smoothly like never before.
A vast contrast to my wobbly ride on the brand new bike a few months ago in my Akrapovic vid, (Its a bit embarrasing... I should remove it from YouTube and make a far better one.).

But then a car ran a stop sign and reminded me why road riding sucks..
'Roadcraft' tho is a whole other thing that only road riding gives you.. ie being aware of the other road users/obstacles/animals/kids/hazards and ways to not ride in the blind spot etc etc etc.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Well, I didn't do my first track day/racing until I was in my sixties and speaking for myself it really improved my street skills. I'm looking forward to getting the CBR to the track this summer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I didn't do my first track day/racing until I was in my sixties and speaking for myself it really improved my street skills. I'm looking forward to getting the CBR to the track this summer.
That's what I thought - even if we are a little advanced in years we can still benefit from it. Wish there wasa track nearby. I think I might look into doing a trip somewhere there is track to include a few days on it. Did you do a couple of days straight or did you just do a day here and there? Probably more beneficial to do an intensive couple of days, no?

·
Registered
878 Posts
That's what I thought - even if we are a little advanced in years we can still benefit from it. Wish there wasa track nearby. I think I might look into doing a trip somewhere there is track to include a few days on it. Did you do a couple of days straight or did you just do a day here and there? Probably more beneficial to do an intensive couple of days, no?
I went to track days occasionally, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. My hobby is restoring vintage bike and started racing those but only for recreation, my goal wasn't to be competitive, not at my age!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've done several track days on a previous bike. Huge impact on your skills! Worth every penny.
Careful! It's real hard to quit once you get started.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts