Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
BKP, If I could have kept both my CBR250 and the FZ6R I would have done so. Thanks for the good write-up on the comparison between these two bikes.
Now that I have some miles on the odometer I took the FZ6R on the interstate and that was the first time I've opened it up. I was quite pleased with its ability to pass 18 wheelers...quickly!
I DO miss the fuel mileage of the CBR250R and its very low full coverage insurance cost.
I'm going to have frame sliders installed when I have the 600 mile service done. I ordered a seat cowl and it should arrive today.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just bought an FZ6R last week as well. The power difference is like night and day. It really is nice to have a bike that can actually ride comfortably on the highway while still having plenty of power available to for passing or just to open it up a little. :D

That said, I'm still glad I started out on the 250 and it was a great bike to learn on. I will also miss the cheaper insurance and fuel costs but hey, you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I use to have one of those fast A## bikes. The Zx9r, felt like a missile on the freeway.
Around town the little cbr is more fun for me, that little single is brilliant for revving out every gear. It's of course best to have both.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I use to have one of those fast A## bikes. The Zx9r, felt like a missile on the freeway.
Around town the little cbr is more fun for me, that little single is brilliant for revving out every gear. It's of course best to have both.
If I lived in a big city like New York, London, etc. the CBR would be perfect for that. Love the bike but the FZ6R is just a lot more comfortable and fits my needs better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I first decided to get a new bike I came very close to ordering an FZ. I've owned 2 other Yamahas and I love the brand. I eventually settled on a Ninja 250R because of it's price and light weight. When the CBR250R came along I had the same discussion with myself. Did I want a bigger bike, or did I just want a better-quality bike with the same size motor? The Ninja always had issues of comfort and build quality for me. I went with the CBR simply because a 250 suits my riding style perfectly and I wanted that little extra quality that Honda has always delivered to me personally, weather in car, bike or even lawnmower form. Honda builds good products.
I love motorcycling. My life wouldn't be as enjoyable without it, but it's not my entire life. For 4 or 5 months you can't even ride around here. Usually you're just getting "in the zone" as far as your riding skills for the season are concerned and it's time to put the bike into hibernation and start all over again next year.
I love the fact that when spring comes around again getting back on 2 wheels is so effortless with the CBR. I pay my ridiculously low $300 a year insurance bill, spend $15 on parts and an hour changing the oil, fill up my 70+mpg tank with new gas and I'm ready to ride again. It takes up very little space in the shed compared to a larger bike and every time I wheel it to the curb before riding I'm thankful it's so light and easy to maneuver.
Once I'm riding it does everything I want it to do and more and I never feel as if I'm missing something I could get on a bigger bike. I've had bigger bikes and the CBR does a lot of things better than many of the bigger bikes I've owned or ridden. I've had my CBR for 2 seasons now and I don't recall ever returning from a ride feeling as if their was any limit I had reached that needed surpassing on a bigger bike.
The one thing that keeps me on the CBR more than anything else though is the lack of regret. When rainy days come or I just don't feel like riding I don't feel guilty because I have an expensive bike with time payments or high insurance just sitting there costing me money. I'm more of a recreational rider and the CBR fits my needs as well as any well-made tool that own. It's there when I want it and it performs flawlessly when I do. It is always ready to serve and serve well, without ever making me second-guess the decision I made to buy it in the first place. That's a good place to be when you own a motorcycle and it's rarer than you'd think.
+1.. exactly my thoughts.. have owned many expensive bikes and that's the beauty... paid cash, all mine.

·
Registered
426 Posts
well just wanted to jump in here to add me to the "trade in" group.
A few hours ago i was at a dealer and traded in the 2011 cbr250ra
and got a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650 abs. i pick up next week. no pix yet
as my bike still in crate. looking forward to next week. hope it doesnt rain.

·
Registered
426 Posts
well for me. msrp was 8799. i got it for 7999 and no dealer prep charge because i paid cash. got 2800 for the cbr. so end of it all out the door was just shy of 6400. Saw my cbr up on the dealer website used bike section next day. They must have sold it pretty fast because it was gone a week later.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am mot tempted to buy a Fz6r, I went to the Yamaha dealer demo day and really enjoyed this bike, it's 470pds but once it's get going it doesn't t feel heavy at all.

A local dealer is selling a 12 leftover new for 5990 with no freight or set up. During the demo ride the R1 ahead of me was playing games and one snap of the wrist and I flew by him. The bike has plenty of power.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am mot tempted to buy a Fz6r, I went to the Yamaha dealer demo day and really enjoyed this bike, it's 470pds but once it's get going it doesn't t feel heavy at all.

A local dealer is selling a 12 leftover new for 5990 with no freight or set up. During the demo ride the R1 ahead of me was playing games and one snap of the wrist and I flew by him. The bike has plenty of power.
~~
Yamaha dealer in my general area has 2 leftover 2012's they're selling for 5,999 with no additional dealer fees. Here's to hoping they have leftover 2013's next year when I'm looking for my next bike. ;)
~~

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Wow I thought the rear fender on the CBR was bad yup rip that thing off quick. Otherwise great looking motorcycle.

·
Registered
724 Posts
So today I went to another Yamaha demo day. This time far from Seattle and some twisty routes. I don't think the FZ6R or FZ8 is my kind of bike. Its simply too much effort to turn them in the same manner as the 250. I now think it takes 2 to 3 test rides of a bike to make up your mind and ride in every area from City streets to the sticks. I think I will hold out for a Ninja 300 or the next CBR250 replacement in 2015,2016 by Honda. These small bikes are simply better for me.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts