Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

im looking to trade in my cbr600rr for a cbr250r and just wondering what my options would be im from the north east of england and although theres a few around on the 2nd hand market there doesnt seem to be that many near me or even to test ride from local dealers.

i love my 600rr (ive spent a bomb on it) but its raw performance is more than i need to be honest and always has been (i had a yamaha r6 before which was the same) im much too laid back a rider to take advantage of its power and i rarely break 75mph and the 250r seems much more my style of bike.

just wondering if anyone else has traded a bigger bike for the 250r and what their thoughts were on the decision,i realise that im trading a far superior bike but im looking to get more practical for my riding needs.

any tips would be good thanks.

mic.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Wow thats a vary big step down. I really dont think you would be happy with that decision. Try to test ride one first if at all possible. The little CBR is ok around town and back roads but its really not anything you want to ride on the expressway all day. Power is vary limited and there are some problems with this new bike also. ( engine rattle ) is the biggest issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It does seem to be an entirely different animal. I ride a 600RR now and I'm buying the 250r next week for the wife. I don't think going from 100+ HP to mid-20s is going to be very fun on the 120 miles of freeways I ride every day. Sure, the 600 is too much for daily use and the riding position just plain sucks for distance riding... but a quarter of the power? Something like the Ninja 650 would be a smaller step down in power and price, and a step up in comfort..

Could be just what you're looking for, sounds like, but I suspect it would be too big a drop for me. Luckily, I'm going to have both to play with. If you're still speculating in a couple weeks, I'll have a more experienced opinion.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wow thats a vary big step down. I really dont think you would be happy with that decision. Try to test ride one first if at all possible. The little CBR is ok around town and back roads but its really not anything you want to ride on the expressway all day. Power is vary limited and there are some problems with this new bike also. ( engine rattle ) is the biggest issue.
speak for your own bike mine is perfect in everyway.
i think you have buyers remorse real bad with all your negetive comments:rolleyes:

·
Registered
269 Posts
i've got a 600rr and a 250r. i don't mind commuting on the 250r because i know i can ride the 600rr on the track, but if i didn't have the 600 i wouldn't have bought the 250. maybe you should go to like a 650 twin, or 500 instead

the 250r is a great bike but it's a night and day different from the 600rr

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mic, I did a trade down myself, and am still happy with my decision. I based my decision on a few factors, you mention performance needs. I live in mountain country with 55 mph roads, the CBR is more than adequate if you can live without the sensation of blasting out of turns. A partial answer to that is, don't slow down. The level road sweet spot is 60-65, and I have to watch it to keep down to 55 in places. I have had it on the freeway, and while it will cruise right along, there is no reserve power for passing. You don't mention your age. I am into my seventh decade, and the BMW that I bought new in 1993 was getting heavier and clumsier in tight places, besides, as you mention, being excess to my needs. The 150 pound weight loss is a blessing, and as it is the first modern sport bike I've owned, it's not just a new motorcycle, it's a whole new toy. I do have a fine old classic and a bad boy custom to round out my stable, but the CBR is the one that goes for rides. I've had nothing but positive comment from other riders, from that's a 250!? to brother and sister greyhairs walking away talkng about that may not be such a bad idea. So, I offer two slogans for the CBR250R that Honda probably won't use. It's not the size of the bike on the ride, it's the size of the ride in the bike. (sorry, Texas) and... It's got the legs if you've got the butt. Downsize and exercize those grin muscles.

·
Registered
385 Posts
A Suzuki GS 500 seems to split the difference and I've actually considered that as my Nighthawk 750 was too heavy with too high a center of gravity for me. There seems to be a decent selection of good condition, low miles used ones around making them cheaper than the CBR250 (especially accounting for the initial service). I think the seat height is about an inch more so you're not quite as scrunched on longer rides. The weight is about 400 pounds though so if weight is your issue you don't gain much in that department.

·
Registered
879 Posts
speak for your own bike mine is perfect in everyway.
i think you have buyers remorse real bad with all your negetive comments:rolleyes:
Sorry but just pointing out that there is a day and night difference between the two bikes. Dont want to see him make a bad decision. I tottally enjoy the new CBR but like other people have also posted there are some minor issues with this bike. I really think like others have suggested something in between might be a better choice. But hay if he can test ride one and likes it. Go for it

·
Registered
681 Posts
I agree with most of what's been said here except for the idea that you can't pass on the freeway on a cbr250. I have absolutely no problem passing with it. Are you going to have the power to blow by somebody like you could on a 600rr? No, but the cbr has way more reserve power at 65 than half the cars on the road. Passing on the freeway is not a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love my 250r but there is still the want for some more power for the passing but over all it is a great bike. when just crusing it is wonderful you will not be disapointed

·
Registered
795 Posts
I downsized from a Sportster 883 and don't regret it. I'm a returning rider and have owned 2 sportsters, but now I love my CBR250. It's NOT perfect, but really is any bike?? I wanted a bike that was affordable, reliable, great MPG and fun to ride. The 250 exceeds my wish list. I plan to sport tour on (pics will be posted later) the 250, and will avoid the super slab as much as possible, and for the times when I do need to hop on the slab the 250 has got enough ooomp to get you there! enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I love my 250r but there is still the want for some more power for the passing but over all it is a great bike. when just crusing it is wonderful you will not be disapointed
I agree
My, wife and I did 170 miles yesterday. We were on back roads running 60 65 I was riding my 600 and she was on the 250 she was right there cruises down the road just fine

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree that this bike a great for cruising backroads and even better when the curves get tight and slow (the ones marked 15 mph, this bike eats them up so nicely).. On the freeway the bike is about like driving an economy car.. if you're satisfied with that then you won't miss anything.. I'm OK with it. The only thing that gives me pause about doing the multi-day, multi-week trip on it is the (high) frequency of the vibration at 65 mph and above. It's a little annoying on an all day ride. I may try some Grab-On foam grips or grip covers to see if this damps down the vibration.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The cbr 250 is an awesome bike..itll pass on the highway unless youre trying to pass someone doing 80mph...vibration, maybe a little..i think youll be happy with it..hopefully youll be able to take a test ride. good luck..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments guys it seems i do have to be a little more to think about than i innitially thought,one of the major important factors in me wanting to trade down to something more manageable is bike weight and size im 36 today as it happens (5ft 6" and weight is around 13st) and i feel more times than enough my cbr600rr is quite heavy and becouse of my height im on my tiptoes whilst sitting on her,i want someting a little more user freindly in these areas.

another reason (probably the main one) is running costs,it costs around £18-£20 to fill the tank of my 6rr and for that i can get roughly 160 miles to the tank riding conservatively (i rarely race) im told that my tank milage is much better than most and that its not worth trading down to a smaller engined bike for what ile save im also told i could retune the 600rr more towards economy given that its got a pc3 installed,any thoughts on this?

up until just 2 days ago the 2009 kawasaki er6f (650r) was set to be my next replacement for my 600rr but that was before i realised that there was a modern 250cc sport bike on the market which now has me torn between the 2 bikes..i test rode a 650r a few months back and loved the bike it was such a breath of fresh air compared to my race orientated 6rr,the laid back riding style of the 650r suits me much better and apparently (like the 250r) the 650r,s fuel economy can reach 60mpg what do you think?

one more factor that i have to take into consideration is this,the ninja 650r is readily avaiable and there are hungreds on the market to be had now that the bike is established where as the cbr 250r is brand new and there doesnt seem to be many around so i cant realy go and see one to get an idea of what the bike is like,im gonna take a ride out on my cbr today and float round some of the bike shops to see if i can clear a few things up.

any replies welcome,thanks.

mic.

·
Registered
636 Posts
welcome to 36..same here..the seat hieght on the 250 is a little higher than i thought it was going to be, but at 5'9" im very comfortable on it..gas milage is **** good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just come down from a CBR1000 which, like you, I found to be far too heavy and with more power than I need to stay alive !
Once you get used to the reduced power and drive accordingly,its a whole heap of fun.
OK I am also in later life and dont need to be macho anymore,but I can go anywhere round the Highlands at 65/70 with ease and next year will tour France.
2 years ago I went to the South of France on a Burgman scooter (400cc) and never had a problem,I was with a friend on a BMW Boxer Cup .
So its not size that matters(in this case) but what you do with it.
250cc is ample for most things,if you have sampled larger bikes in the past.
Enjoy a brilliant bike !

·
Registered
46 Posts
all in all, go and test ride a 250r before you decide anything, you may find the drop in power all too much and decide against the trade wisely..... or you may find it more comfortable for your style...definitely test ride one first!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Anyone that thinks it doesn't have passing power hasn't driven a true economy car. And it sounds like the OP is from the UK and I know due to the nearly extreme fuel prices that they drive a lot of economy cars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts