Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd start a new topic on this as it's been brought up in the past.

If you've ever been stuck at a red light for an extended amount of time waiting on a green, it's most likely because the inductive loop system used for traffic lights has difficulty detecting smaller vehicles. The inductive loop system is basically a metal detector, you drive your car or motorcycle over those rings or squares near the stop lights and a shift in the electromagnetic field tells the light switching system know you're there waiting for the light to change.

Anyhow, there's a really simple way around this, magnets and the positioning of your bike over these inductive loops.

For the magnet, I'd suggest this: Amazon.com: Applied Magnets ® 4" X 1" x 1/2" Neodymium Magnet Block: Industrial & Scientific although due to the added weight of this magnet, you might want to search for something a bit smaller, just make sure it's a Neodymium magnet. Once you have your magnet, you'll be mounting it underneath your bike on the frame.

Additional information on how inductive loops work and proper bike positioning and mounting of the magnets can be found here: How to Trigger Green Traffic Lights (with pictures) - wikiHow

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I hold the starter button for a few seconds. But I've only had problems from one set of lights.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I suppose if it was guaranteed to work every time and if the magnets are not too heavy, I'd consider it. In the absence of both those factors, I'll opt for waiting until it's safe to go and then disobey the signal, since that is a legal alternative in my state. Good information, though. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose if it was guaranteed to work every time and if the magnets are not too heavy, I'd consider it. In the absence of both those factors, I'll opt for waiting until it's safe to go and then disobey the signal, since that is a legal alternative in my state. Good information, though. Thanks.
Like taught in the MSF class. Wait 2 lite cycles, if it wont change look and go. Easy and it's free.
I'm jealous! I don't believe that's legal in California where I'm at :(

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Definitely not legal in TX.

You are never allowed to run a red unless perhaps you have to do so to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle.

TX law says you must wait until another car comes up and triggers it.

I will wait a bit, then turn right on red (legal here) and u-turn and get back on track.... though I have run MANY before.... but the only time I've had one NOT trip for me on the weebr was during a torrential downpour... guess the water interfered with things?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mods come on this is getting to be ridiculous! Will someone post a new thread on the same old topic. I mean ****. Put comments in one of the various threads already. Them magnets don't work. This best thing to use is your head and common sense.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You are never allowed to run a red unless perhaps you have to do so to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle.

I will wait a bit, then turn right on red (legal here) and u-turn and get back on track.... though I have run MANY before.... but the only time I've had one NOT trip for me on the weebr was during a torrential downpour... guess the water interfered with things?
That's interesting TX_Dj, I don't believe water plays a part in that though because if that were the case, traffic here in L.A would be a nightmare when it rains. Wait a minute... LA traffic is horrible all of the time! I guess I'll have to pay better attention to that next time it rains.

Anyhow, the magnet trick definitely works, my small 02 honda civic SI hb (ep3) used to have issues triggering the light switch. After I installed a magnet underneath my car, I've yet to have an issue. IMO it's a cheap and easy fix for motorcycles as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mods come on this is getting to be ridiculous! Will someone post a new thread on the same old topic. I mean ****. Put comments in one of the various threads already. Them magnets don't work. This best thing to use is your head and common sense.
Garblicks, the magnet trick does work, perhaps not in your state \ area, but here in California, it works quite well actually.

Also, was just trying to be helpful, I didn't see any previous threads on this, my apologizes if I missed an old thread on this, (still new to these forums). Thanks for your feedback though :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
no harm man.

The magnets have been mentioned and discussed in other threads. They don't work all the time. But that's my opinion

·
Registered
878 Posts

I just did some reasearch and apparently where I am there's nothing written into law but it's been tested in court and ticketing for an infraction has never stood up in court providing the bike operator showed prudent caution and judgement before proceeding through a redlight.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I need some way to trigger the sensor for the exit gate at my apartment complex, I really don't have any option other than to wait around for a car to leave right now.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I just did some reasearch and apparently where I am there's nothing written into law but it's been tested in court and ticketing for an infraction has never stood up in court providing the bike operator showed prudent caution and judgement before proceeding through a redlight.
Oh I'm SURE!!! If someone got a ticket for running it, was not a douche to the officer, got a reasonably decent lawyer, it would be dismissed. No doubt. But, y'know... rules is rules, and rules are made to be broken. Paradox. End of the world.

I need some way to trigger the sensor for the exit gate at my apartment complex, I really don't have any option other than to wait around for a car to leave right now.
Do they have any remote openers? carry one with you and push the button.

get some magnets

·
Registered
129 Posts
You also have to make sure that you orientate the magnets in the proper direction to maximize the pattern at witch the magnetic field emanates. While with a small magnet (such as used as on a motorcycle) it does not have a huge effect, though it's not worth dismissing. You may as well place a rectangular magnet with the poles pointing directly forward and back, in respects to bike's orientation. Then you can place another horizontally. You'll still need to strategically place your bike on the sensors, but the amount of precision in the placement needed should be significantly reduced.

I've been drinking, so that may or may not make sense. Makes sense to me though lol

Reactions: Ambro

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Anyhow, there's a really simple way around this, magnets and the positioning of your bike over these inductive loops.
So this is the forth thread on the same thing. And the outcome is the same as well. Magnets on the bike don't help. Read the other threads. Why start another one.
One guy stuck them to his boot. That might stand a chance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a remote but the receiver is about 50' outside the gate so i can't get close enough to trigger it when I'm trying to get out.
I had the same issue in my garage, but I just rolled back - forth - back - forth - until I finally found the sensor sweet spot. Now it opens every time. But if I'm even a few inches left or right - nothing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts