Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas I bought myself a budget triple tree stand from Amazon (CHN FW-1). I knew the kit didn't come with the required 21 mm pin needed for the 250, so I thought I would improvise by using a socket of the correct OD, as I have seen a friend do successfully. After trying this with a socket I had, I was not satisfied. It wasn't particularly stable and the stand itself came close to touching the headlight. I tried to find a pin online but could never confirm the mounting diameter to ensure compatibility. So I decided to make my own.

I used some A2 tool steel I had lying around and turned it down on one end to 21 mm, leaving a shoulder, and to 19 mm on the other. I also lengthened the pin about 18 mm to improve the headlight clearance. The new design works great! The only thing I might have done differently is to make the working diameter 22 mm for a better fit (I never actually measured the hole as its fairly tricky to get to, so I relied on the web for the dimension.)

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thats awesome! I have the same stands and ran into the same problem with the front stand. By any chance would you be able to make another and send it my way? I still haven't found another work around for it :/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I only have limited and occasional access to the shop I was using. You could probably have a local machine shop make one for you for cheap depending on your bargaining skills.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thats awesome! I have the same stands and ran into the same problem with the front stand. By any chance would you be able to make another and send it my way? I still haven't found another work around for it :/
I use a Harbor Freight 15mm socket from 10 Piece 3/8" Drive Metric Deep Wall Color Coded Socket Set
It fits on the 15mm pin that comes with the stand and the O.D. is about 21.85mm and fits the steering head tube perfectly. Some other brands of sockets will work also.

You have to put the socket in the steering tube and hold it in with one hand while guiding the stand in with the other hand.

You can put the socket on the stand first, but the extra height puts the stand too close to the top of the fender while trying to install it and you run the risk of marring you fender.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, everyone has to disconnect the front brake hose clamp when using a head stand? (I do)
Yes. Although a workaround I have been having success with so far is to unbolt it, and then rebolt it to the right side, looking rearward, of the mounting tab with an M6 fender washer between the blocks. The washer is just a bit thinner than the mounting tab so it clamps itself nicely while shifting it enough to allow access to the steering stem. I have riden about 100 miles with this configuration and everything seems ok.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gyrotumbler's fix is the better route if you have the capability. I plan to do something like this when I get the chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts