Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I find that I often have trouble going from Neutral to 1st. The bike just wants to stay in N when I kick it down, and I always have to double pump the clutch or roll the bike a bit to get it into 1st.

This is my first bike and I bought it 2nd hand with 2k on the odo, so I'm not sure if this is a serious problem?

·
Registered
167 Posts
not a problem,

get the clutch wire tuned to correct position.
In the correct setting,the bike should move slowly forward,when clutch is released gradually-note:throttle should not be applied.
it should never lug or die.

Get your engine oil changed too,to 10w-30 honda-semi synthetic.
Synthetic oil not before 5.5k on odo

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey guys, I find that I often have trouble going from Neutral to 1st. The bike just wants to stay in N when I kick it down, and I always have to double pump the clutch or roll the bike a bit to get it into 1st.
Know exactly what youre dealing with. I had that problem off of the lot and just learned to deal with it. Shift down into first while moving and well... if you stop you just have to double tap the clutch. No big deal. My bike is getting its first service so on Thursday when I ride her after the service Ill tell you if it changed! Keep me posted if you find a fix!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not a problem,

get the clutch wire tuned to correct position.
In the correct setting,the bike should move slowly forward,when clutch is released gradually-note:throttle should not be applied.
it should never lug or die.

Get your engine oil changed too,to 10w-30 honda-semi synthetic.
Synthetic oil not before 5.5k on odo
I'm also suspecting that it's the clutch cable, when I hold in the clutch fully in 1st gear and turn my handlebars completely to the right, I can feel the clutch engaging slightly and my rpm slows down even so slightly...

How do you adjust the cable? I know u can sort of adjust both ends..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Know exactly what youre dealing with. I had that problem off of the lot and just learned to deal with it. Shift down into first while moving and well... if you stop you just have to double tap the clutch. No big deal. My bike is getting its first service so on Thursday when I ride her after the service Ill tell you if it changed! Keep me posted if you find a fix!
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one! Ya I agree it's not a big deal, but it can be a bit awkward getting a slow start when the lights turn green..

Let me know how u go after ur service too! And don't let the dealership tell u it's not a problem coz this doesn't sound right at all :mad:

·
Registered
167 Posts
both ends have adjustment.Leave the engine side to mechanic,and do the lever side yourself.
Its as simple as adjusting the fine tune back brake of a bicycle.

Its at right setting,when bike moves forward slightly when clutch is disengaged in gear-1 slowly,and never lugs or dies.
Throttle must not be applied

tighen or loosen the fine adjustment nut,just after clutch lever end.
And try each time you set it for smooth movement.

Believe me,it worked for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's not a problem.. It's normal. Gears are designed to shift when the sprocket is turning, aka the bike's moving... If, by chance it's already lined up, it may fall in when you shift at a standstill... That's fate, not design...
There's nothing wrong with your bike...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
MSF course teaches us to shift to first as part of the braking process, not after we have stopped. This allows us to be in first gear and ready to go if the truck driver behind us cannot stop as quickly as we can. I have had no problem getting into first gear when the bike is still rolling. I do have the same issue, though, when I forget to make that last downshift to first. You still should check your clutch cable however. Good luck :)

·
1,305 Posts
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one! Ya I agree it's not a big deal, but it can be a bit awkward getting a slow start when the lights turn green..

hey man, try not to sit in neutral at a redlight, sit in first gear with the clutch held in.

no point in getting rear ended

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This is typical.

Motorcycles generally do this. You have to sync things up with a little bit of clutch. You get used to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I always shift down to first before the bike has stopped and leave it in first when sitting at lights.

But, I park in Neutral. So I too have this problem sometimes. I just let the clutch out about a third of the way (before it engages) while pressing down on the shift lever and it clicks right into place every time. No rolling needed :)

I haven't adjusted the clutch but if that will decrease the frequency I would say go for it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This will happen regardless of clutch adjustment.

However, it doesn't hurt to verify your clutch is adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's not a problem.. It's normal. Gears are designed to shift when the sprocket is turning, aka the bike's moving... If, by chance it's already lined up, it may fall in when you shift at a standstill... That's fate, not design...
There's nothing wrong with your bike...
Right answer.

Fact of life for all bikes. You are doing it right by letting the clutch out to get things moving.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I find it hard to believe all bikes do this. I rented two different Triumph bikes over the last two months. I put 450 miles on between the both of them. Not once did it refuse to shift down from a stop. What I found interesting was the feel too. Ever gear change was met with a solid thud. It feels how the cbr250r feels when you can hear and feel it going into first. Fwiw, one was a 07 Thruxton and an 08 bonneville. 865cc motors.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Rebels do this.
My '74 1000CC does this.
My 250R does this.

Seems normal :D

·
Banned
834 Posts
I was freaking out too with the same problem but I realized you just tip toe the bike a lil foward and clicks right into first. You will never have that problem again.

·
Registered
226 Posts
But, I park in Neutral. So I too have this problem sometimes.
Today I experienced a similar problem and now that I think about it, it's likely not the first time. With the bike in neutral & I was Flinstoning it back off of my carport. Put her into 1st to turn around & go forward, neutral indicator light went OFF (and stayed OFF), but she wasn't in 1st. :confused: I tried 'adjusting'/playing with the balance between clutch and throttle... nothing. So, I pressed down on the gear again, and she caught. UGH! :mad:

Ironically, I was driving her to the Honda dealership for her 600-mile service. Maybe they'll see something that needs adjusting. Or is it operator error?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The neutral light should go on if you're in N, but the real test is if you can roll the bike forward or back. As long as you're going to the dealer, I'd have them check it out.

Also, per the MSF class. Park the bike in gear (preferrably 1st) always.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts